Seven Tennis Coverage

At the start of Sportsday on 3AW this evening, Gerard Healy blasted Seven for not showing Dylan Alcott’s first round quad wheelchair singles match against American David Wagner (Wagner won in three sets) on TV, given Alcott is one of the reporters for Seven’s Open coverage and features on the latest ANZ ad. Instead the main channel was replaying Caroline Wozniacki’s quarter final win from Tuesday night.
Later in the show, Seven producer Greg Smith texted Healy to say that the network did not have the rights to early rounds of wheelchair tennis competition, only the final.
I would have thought Seven’s Australian Open broadcast deal include all categories, not just men’s and women’s singles and doubles?

Geez is the tennis still going!?..feels like months! :joy:

1 Like

Today’s Game shown on replay.

He is actually Seven Sport’s PR chief, but I’m nit picking.

I’m sure Cynic received a lot of spin from him over the years.

Ad breaks forever and a day have occurred at the change of ends and after a set. There’s no willy nilly “let’s whack an ad here”. Players sit down for 90secs at the change of ends and for 2 mins after a set. Therefore, there is absolutely no excuse for the start of play to be missed. The network knows exactly when play will resume.
During the Tsonga vs Kyrgios match an entire game was missed plus Tsonga’s meltdown.

4 Likes

I inquired about this issue a few days ago because the 7Tennis app/website wasn’t showing competitions like the Legends Matches (even though it did in previous years) and apparently Seven doesn’t have the rights to what’s called ‘satellite’ tournaments - these include the Legends, Wheelchair and Junior tournaments.

1 Like

That’s in line with the comments Greg Smith said which Johnson outlined

1 Like

Today’s coverage just commenced.

Women’s doubles final.

Jim Wilson hosting (his usual shift).

With the tradition of playing iconic Aussie music for Australia Day :australia:

Did they run it past Cory Bernardi to get the OK?

1 Like

a bit curious, but why Channel 7 wants to replay the Federer v Berdych game instead after the women’s doubles final finished?

1 Like

Todd Woodbridge’s son Beau can sing really well :notes::ok_hand:

1 Like

Missed 1st Game of 2nd Set due to advertising poor Channel 7.

Roger Federer has already won tonight’s semi-final after not even two sets with Chung retiring, barely an hour after it began. This could damage Seven’s ratings a bit tonight.

I think that’s an understatement. They’ll have to severely re-adjust the coding.

They’d probably like to ignore tonight, Seven execs wouldn’t be happy at all, both semis (for the first time ever perhaps) complete disasters, albeit won last night easily.

They’ll be over the moon that Federer’s at least into Sunday’s final & here’s hoping tomorrow and Sunday are great matches.

I can’t believe it, my head was down and looked back up and they were shaking hands :open_mouth:

Luckily for Seven tonight, Nine’s telecast will wrap up soon, given the one-sided affair today & it was a dead rubber anyway. Otherwise Nine might’ve scored their first win since two Sundays ago (it’ll be close tonight now).

Dylan Alcott’s final is on next, hopefully Seven will broadcast it?

1 Like

Looks like it, from what I’m seeing on my screen now. Seven seem to be at a bit of a loss as to what to show now; they’re running a highlights package at the moment. But when was the last time a men’s singles match at the Australian Open was this short? This isn’t good for Seven at all, I think there would be utter chaos in the control rooms now!!

I would think in the east after the tennis coverage ends, Seven will go straight into the Friday night movie, “The Boy Next Door”.

They are going to show the wheelchair men’s semi-final match on Seven in Sydney at least. Which doesnt happen often

1 Like

Well, there are Aussies playing.

@Mitchell_Nock The movie can’t start in certain markets (earliest 9:30pm AEDT Adelaide & 10pm AEDT Brisbane) due to it carrying an MA15+ classification.

They do have an edited version, but that is only lined-up for Perth.

I don’t think BCM’s broadcast system / scripts would be able to change over to the M classified version at such short notice, positive it doesn’t work like that.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise Perth was getting an edited version of the movie. I assumed it didn’t need to be edited, like with most movies.

1 Like

Alcott match just finished.

“HD” has moved to bottom right (always incidates that was the final ad break, next program about to start).

“The Boy Next Door” (2015) will start before 10:30pm AEDT.

Edit
Telecast finished at 10:21pm AEDT.

This must be a record for the Australian Open. Coverage ended at 10:21 PM AEDT on Day 12 of the championship.

1 Like