Broadcast Facilities

Sounds like you know a lot. Thank sfor that

4 Likes

I think I’ve seen Foxtel do some more of those. Maybe around 2007-2008 IIRC??

Does anyone remember when Foxtel once let a Nine promo onto one of it’s channels and let a Ten promo onto Lifestyle for some weeks?

I’m pretty sure Seven, Nine and Ten promos are normally shown on Foxtel’s channels. I remember seeing them quite often in the years I had a subscription. They would sell them air time like any other company.

4 Likes

I’ve only seen it rarely hence why I thought that it was a playout error.

Depends if someone is willing and brave enough to make a last minute change and it doesn’t go up sh*t creek.

1 Like

Speaking of this morning’s stuff up by Nine. When does Nine go into time capsule mode?

I’ve never heard of Nine doing it before. The only networks I’m aware of that go into a test mode are Ten and SCTV (they play the same Harry’s Practice on all 3 channels during the test. I think it’s Wednesday’s like Ten)

3 Likes

And Seven used to do it. Same method as SCTV where it would be one program on all channels but just LCN redirected.

I’m not sure if this is still the case (since this is pre-7Flix + MPEG4 HD) but a few years back, Seven used to go under some form of recovery mode early in the morning by showing an episode of Sons & Daughters on all three channels with no watermark and an older version of the Seven PRG.

3 Likes

Is Harry’s Practice the breakdown tape?

1 Like

Well he is a Tasmanian so it would make sense for SCTV!

2 Likes

It was when I checked last. I’ve also seen Sons and Daughters and Hook, Line and Sinker used.

Just checked the guides now and it appears they have stopped. 7TWO and 7mate marathon reality shows right through the wee hours.

It’s just whatever is broadcast on Seven is used on the other channels.

Mt Coot-tha made the news tonight. This is outside Nine. Next closest tower is Seven with Ten and ABC in the distance.

mp4_000129831mp4_000132611mp4_000442785

8 Likes

One thing I’ve always wondered - how is “broadcast delay” achieved these days (ie. ensuring the feed from the playout centre for SA, WA etc is appropriately delayed)?

Do the affiliates (chiefly the Hub) receive their feeds live and have to action the delays themselves?

Everyone will use the localised feeds for their relevant state (ie, they’ll use the Sydney feed for NSW, Perth for WA etc) - that way any localised programming (news, special programs etc) goes out state wide.

** edit, finished my thought!

3 Likes

Australian Financial Review reports Ten is fighting in the NSW Supreme Court against the transfer of its stake in satellite owner and operator TX Australia joint venture to Nine and Seven for just $1. Under the shareholders’ agreement of the joint venture partners going into administration, it can trigger TX Australia being valued and allow the other members to buy the other out.

1 Like

TXA isn’t a satellite owner or operator. They manage the terrestrial microwave broadcast facilities of the free to air networks and other transmission based companies (radio stations plus police, ambo, fire 2 ways etc.)

Price Waterhouse Cooper valued the license at $40m when Ten went into administration, so apparently Ten are fighting the fact that TXA want to buy Ten out for $1. The theory runs that if that happens then Ten will have to lease space for their broadcast and news gathering receivers at a cost (instead of being a co-owner.)

2 Likes