Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I just watched an update in Canberra with the subtitles turned on. The word laureate was followed by a three syllable pronunciation of it. It seems that the script had the pronunciation and they uploaded the script for the subtitles.

12 Likes

Hopefully they start doing this for suburb names so that Sophie stops saying “tugg-er-a-nong” and “bell-cuh-nen” for Tuggeranong and Belconnen here in Canberra.

3 Likes

It’s not that hard to pronounce Tuggeranong and Belconnen, even Kiama. I’m not blaming Sophie at all - she’s a great presenter - but the script/autocue needs improvement.

1 Like

Please tell me this Sydneysider has it right by saying that “Tugg-ra-nong” (silent E) and “Bel-con-nen” is the correct pronunciation for these Canberra suburbs!

3 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

That’s how GPS units like Navman used to pronounce it over ten years ago.

4 Likes

Pronounced ‘Don’t-go-there.’

6 Likes

I live in Belconnen, there’s nothing wrong with it! :joy:

Yep, you’ve got it. Not that hard!

Sophie also pronounced Goulburn as “goo-l-bin” the other day.

Someone needs to get these presenters some suburb pronunciation lessons, or at least put them in the autocue how they are pronounced.

7 Likes

Dickson for life.

3 Likes

She could just put the words into a text reader on her computer or phone and most times it would give the correct pronunciation or at least get a lot closer.

2 Likes

“Goo-l-bin”?!

If I’m not mistaken, it’s pronounced “Gowl-bn”

2 Likes

That’s just not true.

While yes, affiliate markets as large as say Miami, DC or SF (5 million plus) right down to small mid sized cities (say in the 750,000 - 1 million range) do upwards of 5-6hours of local news a day…

Even tiny markets do live local news.

For example Cheyenne, Wyoming (TV market 130,000 ranked 196th) is smaller than just about any submarket in regional Australia: Cairns, Ballarat, Wagga etc.

Yet that market has 2 live local morning shows running 3 hours “Good Morning Wyoming” on Fox and “Wyoming News Now” simulcast on 2 affiliates. Thats 6 hours of live local news 5 days a week in a market where the largest city is smaller than Albury Wondonga. These guys even have 2 hosts, weather and often traffic.

I will never buy the argument there is not the economics to produce 30 mins of local news let alone news updates. Its not about economics - it’s about desire, willingness, initiative etc.

In Canada - markets even smaller have live local news.

2 Likes

But of course, the Australian media ecosystem is a bit different to how it is in the US.

*There’s approximately 300 million potential TV viewers in the US compared to maybe about 25 million here.
*The population of the United States is spread out reasonably evenly across the entire country, compared to Australia which is sparsely populated outside the major centres & surrounding regions - particularly on the East Coast.

I’m comparing like for like markets - not 300 million with 25 million.

Comparing markets with one transmitter and one ad market (say Adelaide and Salt Lake City, both around 1.3 million)

Or Sydney and Miami (both 5 million)

or even Cheyanne and Wagga (one transmitter, one ad market - both 150,000)

Wyoming is the least populated state in all of the US.

I think you’re next question should be if similar amounts of revenue are being generated and are costs like-for-like (e.g.: labour).

It’s good to see SCA taking some more feedback on board.
The weather at the end of today’s update was much more closely centred on the local region rather than showing the entire state of NSW.

11 Likes

Looks much better. I have a feeling SCA will buy 10 in Northern NSW soon enough, but it’s highly unlikely.

Why would they? They sold it to WIN just a few short years ago.

I think WIN will hang onto it until there’s a merger with Nine or Bruce carks it and his son wants to get out of Media.

4 Likes

Here is one of today’s updates:

10 Likes

If there’s anyone from SCA reading this and using the feedback to improve the updates, on behalf of everyone here, thank you :clap: :clap:

14 Likes