Seven Sport

Well at this point it’s Tim paine, but he’s not guaranteed to be in the team when the first test comes around next month (a ton against WA helps his cause, but if Alex Carey finds form then he’s a chance of knocking him off for the keeping role).

They should try to have the wh women’s in sport awards live if channel seven really care about women’s sport and want it to be a shining light on Australia

Bruce McAvaney is hosting at Caulfield with Hamish McLachlan at Randwick for The Everest.

2 Likes

Bruce McAvaney:

https://twitter.com/7horseracing/status/1185384936745787393?s=19

5 Likes

Bruce McAvaney is downsizing, moving to Sydney for a while then back to an apartment in Glenelg.

Full story:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/bruce-mcavaney-still-on-top-of-the-podium-ahead-of-tokyo-olympics/news-story/18d546112b29caccbe317e5466b1a80c

2 Likes

Does it really take 7 months to prepare for Tokyo?

It’s not like he’s competing!!

:grin:

1 Like

I’d consider watching a Ferguson read news bulletin if the doyen of Seven Sport joined him at the desk.

3 Likes

Did Bruce ever present sport on Seven News in Melbourne though? I don’t ever recall him doing that?

2 Likes

Not for Seven News, but on Ten Melbourne yes.

3 Likes

The Australian today has a report headlined “Seven’s bold plan to tackle NRL rights”. Obviously, Seven’s plan to make 7mate a full time HD channel means the network can show both AFL and NRL matches in HD, especially in the marquee Friday night timeslot. But is there anything Nine should be worried about?
Seven will also have to think about viewers in regional NSW and ACT, who felt alienated when Nine, which had both AFL and NRL rights in 2002-2006, bumped AFL to late night Fridays after live NRL. If Seven do get both sports, will they promote NRL more than AFL in these regions?

3 Likes

So Foxtel trying to soften up a deal with Seven…

I wonder if ten and nine will join forces and have a joint venture.

1 Like

News Corp running scared or a scare campaign …

Seven won’t go after NRL, SOO and International? yes but not bread and butter NRL, remember the AFL want a further 2 year extension with 7, notice how News Corp left that bit out.

3 Likes

if Nine go for it the go for it alone.

they want 4 matches, Friday night, Saturday night , Sunday afternoon & Monday night, they also want it exclusive for Nine & Nine Now meaning no replays for pay TV or subscription streaming, the other 4 matches they don’t care about.

Also NRL Finals all exclusive to Nine/Nine Now as well as SOO & Australian International matches here and overseas for Nine/Nine Now.

TEN want everything it can get its hands on.

I can see a scenario where News Corp end up with just egg on their collective face.

7 Likes

I can see them making a play when they come up for renewal. It would make losing a week almost impossible with massive shares every Friday night. However I would say the likelyhood is low.

Multichannels do negate many of the issues this would have posed in the past however. And with changes to cricket and tennis, Anything is possible in sports rights.

1 Like

The Santos Women’s Tour Down Under announced today that all four stages of the 2020 race will be live streamed on Seven West Media’s digital platforms for the first time, thanks to the support of naming rights sponsor Santos. This announcement follows the recent elevation of the Women’s race to UCI ProSeries status.

6 Likes

Largely depends on what he’s commentating. If it’s athletics then generally the track events do take a little time to research just how the top performers are running as not all of them compete every meeting against each other. For the 100m for example there are generally 4 rounds meaning he’s got to have some idea on close to 160 athletes in that event alone (working on 10 heats of 8 for both men and women) and how they’re travelling (naturally some will have more in depth analysis than others). Then comes the other track events (200, 400, 800, 1500, 5000, 10000, 3000 steeple, 100/110 hurdles, 400 hurdles, relays and perhaps even the walks and marathons) and it takes a while to get everything done. Then if he does another sport like he did in Athens doing swimming and athletics there’s all the research for that thrown in although that’s less likely to happen this time around.

If he does it in conjunction with a stats guru, it’s assumed he or she is based in Sydney which makes it easier to collaborate.

4 Likes

I wonder why the first 90 mins each day isn’t being shown?

New five-part greyhound racing show The Thrill of the Chase premieres on 7mate tomorrow (November 3) at 10am. It’s hosted by Jack Heverin with Liz Whelan, greyhound trainer James Van de Maat and Greyhound Racing Victoria’s Molly Haines.

1 Like

Interesting to read that Ten made a $250 million offer (when they were somewhat technically insolvent due to investors screwing the company of funding) while IMG also made 2 bids for the rights.

3 Likes

That deal stank from the outset. It sounded corrupt then and still sounds corrupt.

2 Likes