Seven Sport

That deal stank from the outset. It sounded corrupt then and still sounds corrupt.

2 Likes

Yeah well it’s done now and Seven are the shit sandwich with the News Corp controlled cricket deal.

Nine laughing a the way to the bank with Tennis.

2 Likes

It’s TA’s prerogative who they award the rights to - they clearly wanted seven to stick around, but we’re stupid in the way they went about it

This isn’t all that newsworthy in a media context - good to see ASIC taking malfeasance seriously though

3 Likes

One could say insider trading on the Seven side as that info would be knowledge for stock
price manipulation.

As for Tennis Australia, they can do what ever they like with the rights since they control the production, it’s not like the old man is gonna start up a rebel tennis league to go head to head against them …

I’ll agree that sometime who pays the most does not always win, we have seen that several times with Rugby league and union over the years much to to detriment of those Sports.

There are a lot of factors to this, it depends on what the desired outcome is - The way our sports rights work pushes towards a highest price is best model - if you sliced the offerings up a bit more you can do a bit of both (a bit like how some of the American sports have been using single games a week to look at alternate broadcast models, the Premier league in the UK do a similar setup as well)

This will become more critical as sports move production in-house

2 Likes

Sydney to Hobart to continue on seven.

Historic deal secures long-term broadcast future for Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

https://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2019/pre-race/historic-deal-secures-long-term-broadcast-future-for-rolex-sydney-hobart-yacht-race/

5 Likes

7mate will show the National Greyhound Draft for the first time, at 10am AEDT this Sunday (November 17). The second annual draft will see the formation of eight syndicates with three greyhounds each.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a couple of draft dodgers.

2 Likes

Also mentions that Seven Melbourne managing director Lewis Martin is now also Seven’s head of sport, replacing Saul Shtein who was made redundant last month.

2 Likes

if that is not the biggest hint as to what Seven want to do int he future then nothing is.

1 Like

More sackings with the management that remains to multitask?

Nothing is official until its made official so with that disclaimer out of the way Seven will most likely be the exclusive home of Supercars on 7 Mate HD and 7plus and potentially some type of streaming pay subscription option that Seven and another provider (speculation it’s Telstra Media) are working on.

It’s part of the Bathurst 12hr deal which was done a few weeks back.

Fox Sports are walking away after the end of 2020 season.

2 Likes

Do we add the line, “reducing what they show in 2020, as ten pick up the rest…”

And surly ten will still fight for the exclusive rights beyond 2020?

1 Like

Did Ten not make a bid? I find this strange given Ten have no sport at all and that they would not make a big play for V8s.

1 Like

As I have stated many times before and will do so now, Network Ten are looking at “alternative” motosport.

Yes, Fox Sports will drastically cut back what they broadcast, that said Bathurst round will probably be the same level (same applies to Ten for 2020)

No, my understanding is that Network 10 have all but locked up alternative motorsport rights, so much so that it will be an all TEN end to end production.

Meanwhile Seven will continue with the same SC Media production but providing their own announcers to have some level of independence.

But that won’t rate. They can air it sure but it won’t be successful or attract many advertisers or press coverage. It sounds all very niche.

5 Likes

They have to start from somewhere right?

When Ten started Supercars broadcast in 1997 no one knew about it, remember in 1996 Seven had put ATCC on delay and some rounds were not even covered at all they were only interested in Bathurst, Ten bought a new competition and slowly but surely made it work, it took at least 4 years but it did turn into a powerhouse so much so that Seven wanted it back.

ARG have a few things up their sleeve, 1: major sponsor is Car Sales, 2: will have at least 25 cars at a minimum per round with up to 10 different brands, 3: 2 Bathurst weekends, 4: S5000 and 5: offering exclusive rights to the broadcaster, no sharing no over lays no issues announcers streaming rights included …

Like I said you have to start from somewhere and commercial FTA know how to make sports work and get an audience.

Supercars need to be on FTA TV. 7 could air the big races (Bathurst, Adelaide, Gold Coast etc) while 7mate the rest with streaming/additional angle coverage on 7plus.

The code lost fans due to its move to Pay TV in 2015. In 2014, all events were on either 7 or 7mate across Australia.

5 Likes

Well 7mate is free to air isn’t it?

3 Likes

I’m unsold yet whether this is a positive or not, early signs for F4 were decent (and it at least had a career trajectory outside of Australia) and it failed miserably

People say they want single seat, open wheel racing back but time will tell