Seven (Southern Cross)

I wonder if 7 (or maybe the AFL) bothered to negotiate for the local rights to the Tasmanian team’s games considering they obviously don’t (currently) own 7 Tasmania.

I believe there is something within the deal that provides a variation (over the current deal) for a Tasmanian team.

1 Like

That is the problem with the different schedule. It could hit 10:30 and suddenly cut to the Melbourne feed with election coverage which 7 Tasmania are trying to hide. WIN will not cut to Melbourne coverage as 9/9Gem are switching to the Sydney feed from at least 12:30pm to at least 6:30am the next day.

2 Likes

I am sure that Seven are aware of where their assets are and where they are not

4 Likes

There would have to be a provision in there. Having the local teams on FTA rather than locked away on pay services is also in the AFL’s best interests.

2 Likes

When does this deal run to again? The team certainly won’t be playing until 2027/8 at the earliest!

2025-31. Tasmania was bidding for a team in 2025 but the process is taking its time.

1 Like

I wonder if like 7Flix, Tasmania will miss out on 7Bravo?

Not that I care for the content, just wondering if SCA will take it/pay for it…

1 Like

Most likely if 7flix/7mateHD are not there yet unfortunately.

Nah. I’m willing to bet that Darwin and central / remote won’t see 7Bravo next week. They haven’t even got 7flix yet in those areas

I would definitely say we will miss out as nothing has changed when you do a rescan however there’s probably going to be a lot of questions on the Facebook page next week considering they’ve been advertising it for months. Although, I did note the latest ones have it just saying on 7 and 7+ but they don’t emphasise enough that for us the only way to watch it will be through 7+.

1 Like

Unless SCA can Upgrade all their to MPEG-4 including 7mate.

The technology has nothing to do with it. SCA are capable of broadcasting a 3rd and 4th multi-channel. Their Darwin station outputs seven services.

Besides, 7 Tasmania is already using MPEG-4 on every service except the primary SD, similar to RQLD.

2 Likes

Do they have the encoders for it? Doesn’t each new feed need a new one?

Tas already has 3 multichannels - SBN is on the SCA mux. So there’s Seven, 7two, 7mate and SBN.

We had MPEG4 before RQLD…

I suspect SBN aint going anywhere…$$$$

1 Like

Of course. The point is, if the money’s there and Seven are willing to be realistic with their affiliation fees, they’d do it. It’s not a case of “they won’t because they don’t have the equipment”

They should have the right equipment, considering the fact that viewers in regional Queensland, Victoria and southern New South Wales have four multi channels on the 5x Lcn, peach, bold, shake and sbn. Tasmania not having 7flix is a fucking joke, considering that they are able to get 10Shake which isn’t available where I live in Northern cnew south wales.

I share your outrage. I think we both know 10 SHAKE is unfeasible in regional markets, but they would have got a bargain affiliation agreement under 10, so here we are with a 3rd multi in small markets on the lowest rating commercial network.

I do think it’s Seven which is holding SCA back. They would no doubt want a sizeable increase in fees for them to carry any extra services, which just wouldn’t be worth it for SCA in the end.

1 Like

The fact that Seven benefit from you just streaming from them direct means I wouldn’t hold out much hope of the added services coming to non O&O markets. I suppose it just depends how they use 7Bravo - being HD in metro surely makes it attractive for sport overflow vs Two/Flix.

3 Likes