Seven (Southern Cross)

Does anyone even want to buy the stations if sold separately?

Nine, Seven, WIN, Imparja all own half shares or have solus ownership of 10 stations outside of metro; not exactly a large pool of potential buyers

Nine: Doubt they would want to buy a 10-affiliated station.
Seven and WIN: They cannot as it would breach the 1 station a market rule.
Imparja: Doubt it would happen due to them being very low funded.

I could only see either ACM or Paramount picking up the 10-stations.

Is there anything preventing Seven and WIN starting a joint venture to buy these licences, or would that be in breach of licence/1 station rule?

1 Like

It would be a breach in that context.

Its probably significant enough that ACM might be interested - you might get more interest if WIN was willing to part with NNSW as well in a separate deal

Do we think 10/Paramount would be interested in buying the SCA10 licences? More comes down to Paramount I guess.

No doubt Seven will want the remaining SCA7 licences to complete their national network.

1 Like

It’s hard to say but I feel it would be an attractive offer for a 3rd rate network. They’d have almost all the advertising market. It all comes down to whether it’s more profitable owning the regional networks than it is affiliating with them. What percentage of revenue does SCA cough up for Paramount? 30%?

1 Like

Assuming that HT&E will include the radio division with this merger and the marriage is consummated it will be disaster for radio and for the people that work at those stations.

Just like what happened when Southern Cross and Austereo were glued together, the TV people move in and immediately tell upper management that radio is TV without pictures so therefore they should run it.

And as we all know, TV people are retarded at running radio stations.
If this happens it will just be another version of SCA.

7W can take the Southern Cross TV stations… Probably the best thing that will happen to them in a long time, but lets hope HT&E realize its a really bad deal for listeners, advertisers, staff and the industry as a whole.

1 Like

Seven Tasmania will break away from the Melbourne feed on 26 November, with this schedule:

Saturday, 26 November
6:00 PM Nightly News 7 Tasmania
7:00 PM Border Security: Australia
7:30 PM Movie: The Santa Clause (1994)
9:30 PM Black-Ish S7 E10
10:00 PM Black-Ish S7 E11
10:30 PM Movie: Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan (2019)

1 Like

Are they just switching to what Seven Sydney is showing?

No, as Seven Sydney is showing a 7NEWS Special at 7, then The Santa Clause and then a movie. Seven Tasmania’s schedule is different.

Darwin is following the same schedule as Tassie (obviously not the same feed due to time zone differences). Everywhere other than Melbourne/RVIC seem to be showing The Santa Clause and either Unstoppable or Danger Close, with Border Security replacing the 7 News Special outside NSW and the ACT. I think the different-length movies are being used to help everywhere get somewhat back in sync.

2 Likes

There’s no deal between 7 and SCA as far as i am aware. But it could eventually happen in future.

You know that?

Which seems to be the point of the original article?

2 Likes

Nothing have been confirmed as yet. What i meant to say is there’s been no confirmed deal as yet.

Let’s look at dots and join them together, SCA not long ago said it was looking to divest its TV assets, Grant Wilson news director from the Tasmania of 23 years who is far from retirement age is quitting at the end of this year and the Australian are reporting a merge talks.

Im likely to believe this is something going on

2 Likes

and meanwhile, Nine has announced that they are setting up shop with a Tasmanian bulletin to compete against the dominant 7 Tas bulletin - competition which they haven’t really had for years, decades even.

Things are all aligning for something happening behind the scenes and it will be interesting to see what the local news landscape looks like in 12 months time if both bulletins are mainland influenced.

4 Likes

There is no doubt Seven West Media want it… it’s just a matter of when a deal can be done both parties. Especially with a new AFL football team on the horizon in Tasmania.

2 Likes

But the manager of SCA say they can only sell the television stations if the price is right. It doesn’t sound like the manager of SCA is as keen.

That’s why I said its a matter of ‘when’ . Also, its not a manger… but the corporate owners of SCA.

It’s practically what the other states outside Sydney are showing - except for the episodes of Black-Ish to then get 7Tas back in line with the Victorian schedule at 10.30. I guess that could also change at short notice though (if not then, then in the graveyard slots) if the Vic election coverage goes down to the wire…