Seven (Southern Cross)

:point_up_2: Absolutely. Meeting Australian content quotas is what got 9Life into every market except RCEA (not counting WIN’s JV’s as they were petty by launching ‘54’). Affiliates wouldn’t have bothered otherwise. One does hope the same will happen with sport and 7Bravo.

1 Like

Unfortunately sport doesn’t seem fit, it would only be a last resort if there was sport already on 7/7two/7mate/7flix. I would rather 7TWO in HD as it shows sport.

2 Likes

7Bravo is basically a joint venture with NBCU so I can’t see that ever happening. Aren’t they already on the (slow) path to making Two HD as well anyway?

3 Likes

Not officially announced, but according to @RFBurns the 7mate/7flix switch to MPEG-4 was apparently only the first step for a full MPEG-4 network. With 7QLD having 7, 7two, 7mate and now 7Bravo in HD only I feel like the same will happen to 7two in metro/ex. Prime7 areas.

His post here:

The way things are going I can see 7, 7two, 7mate, 7flix and 7Bravo in MPEG-4 HD only in all markets by 2025.

2 Likes

Same situation for Darwin too.

So SCA is not selling 7 central, 7 Darwin or 7 Tasmania or the south Australian station to the 7 network anytime soon?

I wouldn’t think so. They run very small margins on the TV side of the business so need the economies of scale from all their licences to make it viable, especially Tasmania as it is also home to all their news updates and only TV production facilities. When it comes time to sell I think they’ll want a deal (or more likely several parallel deals) which gets rid of all their TV licences in one go.

1 Like

I have no doubt Seven want SCA7 Tasmania. That seems to be the jewel in the SCA television crown.

The other SCA 7 aligned station will just be thrown into the deal. As others have said, they’re not worth much. Í doubt they even bring in a profit.

1 Like

For a twist we could see Ten/Paramount buy all SCA TV licenses in one easy all-in-one go transaction.

Overall they are affiliated in more areas with Ten than Seven. Then what Paramount do with the Seven affiliated licenses is any one’s guess. On-sell them to Seven? Or perhaps some of the joint ventures that SCA own could get flipped to Seven.

SCA do have two production facilities in Tas so theoretically they could flog the 7 stations and Launceston studio while retaining their Hobart studio which is co-located with Hit/Triple M to continue to produce the 10 noodle output.

3 Likes

Yesterday’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal was also shown in full into Tasmania and Northern Territory via Southern Cross. Even though both stations normally relay Seven Melbourne programming including the evening news and the AFL, they had the option to show Seven Sydney programming in the aftenoon and evening (apart from the footy at 4pm AEST and news at 7pm), but decided not to.

1 Like

For a charity event in non-ratings they probably thought it would just be easier not to change anything.

2 Likes

Complication was the Good Friday AFL match and the non-standard time for the screening of 7 News afterwards. Seven Sydney would not have provided a clean breakaway point for TAS and NT to join after 7News in both markets. And to program and insert a full standalone breakaway schedule post 7 News costs money that SCA does not want to pay for anymore it seems.

2 Likes

2023 and tickers still look like its 1993 :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Does SCA do emergency updates on its 10 stations? At least on GLV stations during the bushfires in Gippsland?

1 Like

It’s a different font this year! But yes, I’m sure they used to be better when they were doing presentation here in Tas. Get the news team on to it, I’m sure they could do something a thousand times better for it!

Although, it probably blocked out the Melbourne news ticker we get all through The Chase… headlines for the bulletin we don’t get.

2 Likes

Not sure if they’ve been doing them in GLV but the 10 stations have had them in the past, if I’d been watching 10 down here then I’d imagine the same ticker above would have appeared on there too as it has done in previous years.

1 Like

isn’t it a condition of their licence that they do it?

1 Like

What a terrible font for legibility. I guess that’s not too important for an emergency notice then?

2 Likes

Likely as a condition of licence or potentially a state government requirement, rather than a BSA requirement like there is for radio.

That said, that particular notice would have been in breach of the legislation because the BSA requires them to announce emergency warnings in both text and in speech (and captioned too, for whatever it’s worth).

2 Likes