Seven (Southern Cross)

According to Media Watch, I was spot on. Will be interesting to see what SCA do here, or if they just stay with the ‘Southern Cross News’ name indefinitely.

1 Like

Grant promises an independent name in the presser.

1 Like

I’m not sure how an independent name is an improvement on Southern Cross News or SC7 News. They can’t go too local with the name because it’s a composite bulletin.

Maybe “News, Sport & Weather at 6”, “News at 6”, “6 O’Clock News”, “Eyeball News”, “Independent Television News” or some such sarcasm

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out what is wrong with Southern Cross as an independent brand? They’ve spent enough money redoing the studio, why are they unusually keen to spend more just to scrap Southern Cross as a brand?

5 Likes

@WAtvVideos Sorry I should have made it clearer.

The first cap is from when clean feed was used and they did their own graphic.

1 Like

I think it is about potential buyers. If they eventually want to sell off the television arm of their business they may not want to sell the Southern Cross name with it. So an independent name frees them off this issue when the time comes.

1 Like

This rebrand really is a cluster$%#… taken from the SCTV FB page last night.

1 Like

Because you’re dealing with a company who thinks it’s a great idea naming AM stations after an FM station with very little to connect the two aside from the owner. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If I were Seven, I would not have agreed to an extension of the affiliation agreement after they went all in with Nine. Even if it meant moving Seven programming to TDT and making sure WIN did all the heavy lifting. SCA look like they’ve gone all in with Nine and simply can’t be trusted. Remember - a station swap in Adelaide was done because of this sort of shenanigan.

1 Like

But doing so, IMO, might mean job losses in Tassie and Canberra. As what I’ve said back, signing to Nine all the way for SCA means Nine News will be adding more composite news load in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brissy; but that’s for another thread.

2 Likes

If Seven cared, they’d make an offer to buy it - one of the highest rating television stations in the country, in a market mad for Seven’s AFL content.

With NRN they showed a willingness to offload their non Nine stations.

SCA would be able to retain their stake in TDT, and perhaps even buy WIN’s stake to become a full Nine affiliate.

That said, SCA have a good deal - apart from Victoria, they have their stations affiliated with the network with the main football code. I think they get that and are quite happy with a mixed affiliate deal giving them the best network in all but one of their markets.

Plus, SC make Seven far more money than a TDT Seven would.

3 Likes

A 50% stake in TDT would surely be attractive to Seven, if SC sold to Seven and left the market.

1 Like

Seven wouldn’t be allowed to own TNT and a >15% share of TDT - the initial owners of those digital only licenses get an exemption from the normal ownership rules, but a sale would be a trigger event that would require them to be met.

3 Likes

What are the normal rules in this case, I’d have thought that the 50% stake in the digital JV would be included in the sale of any respective parent stations?

1 Like

SCA are now making their own 7 idents…

4d4

16 Likes

Oh dear

1 Like

They’re also re-badging existing promos that were edited for SCTV (without the ‘on Seven’ at the end)…

Meh, attention to detail is so overrated anyway.

7 Likes

The two 7 logos on that promo look a little off, both slightly squashed.

7 Likes

17 Likes

This is why Seven don’t want them to use the Seven News brand :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes