Seven (Southern Cross)

Is the seven network or prime network likely to buy the Tasmania, Darwin SA and central stations?

Iā€™m really curious to see how it will affect joint ventures such as ten Tasmania, ten Darwin, and ten central. Will 2 networks have to sell the stake in those stations to the ten network?

The licences to the Ten digital channel in those markets are held 50/50 by the incumbent operators. If one leaves, their 50 share can just be bought by the buyer.

Does Network TEN have financial interests in the relevant stations in Tasmania, Darwin & Central?

Not directly

Would Ten be able to afford to buy out Southern Crosses regional business (once the laws change) ?

Probably not. Would need a capital raising. Valued at 100-120 million. I think they have too much debt to borrow hence the capital raising.

Southern Cross really doesnā€™t seem interested in regional tvā€¦ maybe WIN who seems to knows what they are doing should buy them/merge (just a thought if that was even possible).

No. Not currently. But Iā€™m curious to want to know what the fate holds for the southern cross 7 stations in those markets.

I have q feeling that southern cross may want to keep the 7 network station in those markets of Darwin, SA, Tasmania and central.

And what about the channel nine stations in SA and broken hill?

Ten isnā€™t interestedā€¦

Itā€™s been reported that nine has bought shares in southern cross networks.

Could nine still kick win out and give the nine network programs to southern cross?

1 Like

They can do whatever they want really

So when the rules change, Nine could buy the regional part of Southern Cross TV ?

Anything is possible. It could be very interesting once the reach rule is no more.

So with Nine signing a new affiliate agreement with Southern Cross today, will this mean SC will broadcast both Nine and Ten signals into the same areas (regional QLD, southern NSW and regional VIC) or will it drop Ten affiliation?

If I understood the press release correctly, are they going to be using the Nine brand on air?

They will still be broadcasting the same number of signals, since WIN still own their licenses.
SCA will drop Ten in favour of Nine, and presumably WIN will pick up Ten. Thereā€™s always the option that WIN could go it alone without affiliation, but thatā€™s fairly unlikely.

Well, I think that WIN would probably have no choice to go with Ten since they would be the only other major network available.

In any case, I definitely think that the real winners out of this deal are Seven Queensland and Prime Media, whoā€™ll most likely keep their top rating Seven Network affiliation and will probably strengthen their respective brand(s) while competitors WIN and SCA undergo major changes to their TV operations.

3 Likes

Well southern cross will have to reinstate Canberra, Townsville and Bendigo newsrooms to get nine news to cover the areas they will have to serve.

southern cross - should not have axed the newsroom in the first place Now they will have to start again.

Southern Cross doesnā€™t have to do anything.

Unless Nine has stipulated to them that they must launch local news services, then I expect Southern Cross to just run the Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne local news at 6 into its areas - and continue with the meditated 2 minute noodle updates.

SC were paying 37% of ad revenue to Ten - under the new deal with Nine it jumps to 50%

SC has shown they have zero interest in investing in local news at all. Not even in their heritage markets like Canberra.

Sure, the 2 minute noodle updates will have a new look and fell ā€œ9 Local Newsā€ - but I donā€™t really see SC opening any newsrooms and producing full bulletins.

The staff to start up a new newsroom (producers, editors, reporters, cameraman) not to mention the equipment needed (edit bays, graphic station etc) would run into the millions.

SC has shown themselves to be incredibly cheap - I donā€™t think they will be launching any new local news.

As for this statement:

The agreement provides for a substantial expansion of news services broadcast by SCA. Nineā€™s market leading News bulletins featuring international, national and locally produced news will be broadcast to regional markets across Queensland, Southern NSW and Victoria.

I read that as SC currently broadcasts one hour of news on itā€™s station (Ten News at 5) where as with Nine that will expand to 7 hours daily. (5am, Today, 11a, 3pm, 4p, 6pm) That is a substansial expansion of new services broadcast by SCA. I donā€™t read anything to say they will be launching NEW local news services in their markets

2 Likes