Seven (Southern Cross)

That’s what I thought too. If you can believe anything from a media release (a big if) the most notable thing is that the word “local” is missing from that sentence.

In response to comments stating that SCA will not be putting 9 HD to certain markets when they start airing 9 network programs, SCA has an obligation to put out 9 HD to regional QLD and southern NSW because it’s NRL heartland

If they don’t.fans in regional areas could launch an outcry over lack of 9 HD so I believe SCA will have to air 9 HD and 9 life from July 1.

They don’t have an “obligation” at all.
It’s completely up to them (or their agreement) whether they broadcast certain channels to certain areas.

I think SCA will put a bit more effort in under a Nine affiliation, so they probably will want to show 9HD and 9Life eventually, but it may not be phyiscally possible for them to have them ready by July 1, we just don’t know.

I found a link stating that SCA is planning to reinstate news bulletins in regional VIC and Queensland and upgrading the Canberra news bulletin to full scale nine news bulletin

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/region-to-see-big-tv-switch/news-story/b2befdcc869204a0cbdc2c29d56d141d

I can only hope that a news studio will be reintroduced in Townsville but that’s up to SCA.

If Nine joint forces with SCA radio assets, they could set up local news VJ’s or something that could bring those local stories to Nine Metro if they warrant coverage and add better local news windows locally.

No where in that link does it say that SCA is planning to reinstate bulletins?
Just that SCA will be broadcasting Nine’s

"The impact on WIN’s locally produced news bulletin is not clear, however, in a joint statement, Nine Entertainment and Southern Cross Austereo said the agreement would pave the way for a “substantial expansion of news services broadcast by SCA”.

“Nine’s market leading news bulletins … will be broadcast to regional markets across Queensland, southern NSW and Victoria,” it read."

^ Which refers to the national daytime bulletins.

1 Like

"The impact on WIN’s locally produced news bulletin is not clear, however, in a joint statement, Nine Entertainment and Southern Cross Austereo said the agreement would pave the way for a “substantial expansion of news services broadcast by SCA”.

“Nine’s market leading news bulletins … will be broadcast to regional markets across Queensland, southern NSW and Victoria,” it read."

Yes, an expansion of news services broadcast by SCA. Right now SCA broadcasts news at 5. Under the new deal SCA will broadcast news at 5am, 530am, 11am, 3pm, 4pm and 6pm. That is an expansion.

But you used the word “reinstate” - nowhere does the article suggest that. You also said that the Canberra bulletin would be upgraded to a 9 News bulletin - full scale. Where does it say that?

It says Nine’s market leading bulletins will be broadcast to regional areas. Which they will. SCA will now carry all Nine’s news from 6am-6pm

But nowhere does it use the words Canberra or reinstate?

3 Likes

So are you saying that the expansion of news services and reinstatement of news bulletins are two completely different things?

Yes, because expansion and reinstatement are different words

4 Likes

Yes. While the optimist in me hopes that there could be an expansion in SCA TV local news, the pessimist suggests it would just be Nine News’ programs filling up the schedule.

"substantial expansion of news services broadcast by SCA”

SCA is substantial expanding the amount of news services they will be providing.
As they currently only air 1 hour of national news with TEN, by signing with NINE they’ll be airing 8 hours of national news, which is a “SUBSTANTIAL EXPANSION OF NEWS SERVICES BROADCAST BY SCA”.

If it said:
"reinstatement of news services broadcast by SCA” that would be an entirely different story

Well regional Queensland, southern NSW and regional Victoria already see 9 news through WIN now. WIN do not say “9 NEWS” in Ita program line up, it just says “WIN NATIONAL NEWS”. But it’s really 9 news from the metro areas only WIN had covered the nine news watermark with its own.

1 Like

Of course, the affiliation switch from Ten to Nine would mean an “expansion” as far as news/current affairs programing is concerned.

Southern Cross Ten currently broadcasts 4.5 hours (Studio 10, Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five and The Project) of network news/current affairs-based programs each weekday.
The Nine affiliated SCA stations would broadcast 11 hours (Nine News: Early Edition, Today, Today Extra, Nine’s Morning News, Nine News Now, Nine’s Afternoon News, Nine News Sydney/Melbourne/Queensland and A Current Affair) of network news/current affairs-based programs each weekday.

As far as local news is concerned, nothing has been announced yet. We could see SCA launch new bulletins for it’s Nine affiliated stations, we could see SCA maintain the status quo of having the 2 Minute “Chicken Noodle” News Updates but with Nine News-style graphics. It’s a case of wait and see at this stage…

1 Like

If SCA continue with the 2 Minute Noodle Updates on Nine, I hope they fix them up A LOT!

The current updates on SC10 should be left with the TEN agreement.

Preferably if they could fix them up a bit, or maybe somehow get the Nine metro market to prerecord each local update.

2 Likes

Assuming this is the place to talk about the Southern Cross GTS/BKN business also…if so

I wonder if the recent Nine deal will affect their GTS/BKN license area. They already broadcast Nine, 9Gem and 9Go in areas like Port Pirie. Maybe they will squeeze in 9Life or 9HD?

I really hope that SCA do a better job of running their Nine stations on the East Coast than what they seem to do in Regional SA/Broken Hill. SC Nine were still airing Nine’s old 2009-12 “Welcome Home” Idents earlier this year, if the upload from @AAT below is anything to go by! :open_mouth:

…and the Sponsor Billboards airing on SC Nine seem to be just as poorly produced as the ones seen on SC10/SCTV as well:

2 Likes

That logo is 5 or 6 years old!

But don’t worry channel nine will help SCA.

1 Like

Southern Cross is turning into a complicated Television business with 7 stations affiliated with all 3 networks now:

In market rank order for SC

1. Northern NSW - 2.1 million people - Ten Network
  2. Queensland - 1.7 million people - Nine Network
  3. Southern NSW - 1.4 million people - Nine Network
  4. Victoria - 1.2 million people - Nine Network
  5. Tasmania - 500k people - Seven Network
  6. Central & Satellite - 400k people - Ten/Seven Network
  7. Spencer Gulf SA - 150k people - Ten/Nine/Seven Network
  8. Darwin 139k people - Seven Network
6 Likes