Seven News (Regional Qld)

Central Qld

vlcsnap-2018-11-28-18h30m50s672vlcsnap-2018-11-28-18h30m54s350ts_000064778vlcsnap-2018-11-28-18h31m40s388ts_000528290ts_000603730ts_000655810ts_000675050ts_000729450ts_000776370

Mackay

ts_000084805ts_000156965ts_000193445ts_000208405

Central Queensland had 4 main packaged stories (though nothing live). Mackay had 3 stories.

2 Likes

The metro bulletins are doing fine; it is the lack of coverage on the national bulletins that is puzzling me. Their focus is on Sydney’s flooding.

What a surprise!

5 Likes

I’m not sure where to discuss this, but as we’ve already started here, I thought i’d continue.

Speaking to people at work today (and then my parents in Mackay tonight on the phone), there is heaps of frustration from QLDers at the lack of coverage of these emergencies on national news.

My parents said to me tonight that they turned on Sunrise yesterday morning to find out what was going on as there were fires close to their area and they said they waited about 15-20 minutes and the entire time all they spoke about was rain in Sydney. They flicked to Today and it was exactly the same apparently.

Then again yesterday afternoon, they saw on Facebook that Gracemere was being evacuated near Rockhampton, and as we have heaps of family there, they turned on the TV hoping they’d have breaking news coverage, but there was nothing.

3 Likes

Rockhampton only seems to make national news when it is flooding.

Streaming 7 News Mackay right now.
There’s an emergency warning advising residents to seek shelter as the fire is heading straight for a town west of the city and there’s no way to evacuate now.

But, again, not live… fucking ridiculous!

Once again, 9 News coverage is far better with live crosses and detailed current information, including information about the rescue helicopter evacuating residents. 7 News coverage mentioned the Eungella fire for the first 2 minutes and was far less informative.

4 Likes

7 News Mackay tonight, full bulletin including bushfire emergency coverage. Pre-recorded.

For comparison, 7 News Sunshine Coast which was broadcast live.

4 Likes

‘you have a good weekend, and you have a good weekend’ - Rob does Oprah haha.

The transitions in those openers are shocking… The headline words, script and pictures are never timed properly!

1 Like

Christmas in regional Queensland

4 Likes

Paywall article in Courier Mail about Rob Brough and his “surprise axing” as host of Family Feud.

From 1990 to 1995, Family Feud, with Brough as host, was a huge success for Seven, one of the only national television shows to film out of Brisbane.

With no warning, Brough was axed by Seven and replaced with John Deeks at the end of 1995.

It was one of those cloak and dagger TV sackings that were common in the industry at the time, brutal and unfair.

The show would only last for a few months with Deeks as host.

1 Like

Non paywall

Also of interest:

1 Like

Re: 23 years - did broughie ever get his own presenter shot in the opener during the 04-10 era?

And I refuse to believe he wasn’t the originator. Before Broughie there was nothing, after him there will be nothing.

2 Likes

Rob did get his own walking shot

2 Likes

7 Likes

Promo for Rob hosting the Lord Mayor Carols.

3 Likes

The problem with that is the Sunshine Coast is where Rob and Joanne are based in and is 7 Regional Qld’s main home, so Rod and and Amanda fronting the Sunshine Coast broadcast from the GC wouldn’t go down well with locals.

I personally, didn’t really think there was an issue with what they are currently doing. All bulletins are quite successful (Maybe not the GC one) but Seven QLD has formed strong local connections in areas. Making the move like 9 and having local, state and international stories I don’t really think would work. We have all seen how poorly Nines have been put together (Regardless of the argument that “they are being produced for SCA”, which I think is completely weak)

4 Likes

There could be different outcomes if Seven accepts the format:

1. Viewer acceptance. The split regions would alienate viewers constantly watching Rob and/or Jo reading their local news in the South. Although practical, it could also backfire as they would face the prospect of losing viewership. By the way, giving Maroochy and Surfers Paradise a half hour more also means more money to spend and could not get the favourable results for Seven who’s trying to keep the top spot for Brisbane news this year.

2. Regional News Crews. For me, the new format could also influence other regional outlets handling (at least) a license-wide service for news. I discussed on Twitter with @SydneyCityTV a few years back on Prime7 having a statewide composite news at 6, and we always look at NBN for reference. I always imagine the said format and transitioning to local windows as if it is a reality for Prime. If we look at NBN, then that would need a smooth timing between studio and control room. Plus, if 7 wants to use the GC studios for the South edition, they need to spend more money on buying a separate control room. (AFAIK, the Gold Coast News is controlled by the 7 News Brisbane one in Mt. Coo-tha.) Hypothetically possible, but not at the present time.

1 Like

Why change things when it works well and 7 is Qlds number 1?

2 Likes

I have to Agree with you, a Composite Bulletin with a Minimum 8 Minutes Of Local News Plus 2 Minutes Of Local Sport Pre-Recorded With National & International Stories Live.