Seven News (Regional Qld)

What’s a “Big 5” telephone code?

Do you mean like 54xx xxxx telephone numbers for the Sunshine Coast when the rest of the 7QLD viewing area is 4xxx xxxx?

Haven’t been in this thread much, just saw it up the top.

What’s new?

7QLD still cleaning up their rivals?

Seven Local News still iconic?

:nerd_face:

Many years ago we had 7 digit telephone numbers in the big 5 and Canberra, with a two digit area code. Sydney’s area code was “02”, Melbourne “03”, Canberra was “06”, Brisbane was “07” and so on. Smaller cities and towns has six digit phone numbers and a three digit area code. Wollongong was “042” then a six digit number, for example.

With the advent of 8 digit phone numbers, that all changed. Initially all Sydney numbers started with a “9”. If you live outside Sydney, in Wollongong for example, your phone number will not start with a “9”, but will use the last two digits of the old area code, “42”.

In Qld, Brisbane numbers start with a “3”, while places outside Brisbane like Gold Coast don’t start with a “3”, but “55”.

2 Likes

Ah thanks.

Though Canberra was 062 for most of the time, but only adopted the 06 in the late 80s or early 90s and thus put the 2 into the local phone number before everyone went to 8 digits in the late 90s.

1 Like

I wasn’t recording, but 7 News NQ had a fake “live” cross during the bulletin tonight that was quite odd looking.

It never said it was live obviously, but it was certainly done to make it look like it was one.

Jo sat at the desk and said something along the lines of “Anthony joins me now from JCU and Anthony …”.
The shot then cut hard from Jo at the desk to the reporter answering the question (with quite loud background noise).
Then it cut hard back to the desk with Jo asking a subsequent follow-up question, then back to Anthony, this was then repeated another 2 times.

It was obvious the shot of Anthony had been recorded as one big block and just cut at the right point to make it look like he was responding to questions.

It wasn’t too bad - but it just felt a bit awkward - especially given the significant background noise behind the reporter which completely cut out when crossing back to Jo in the studio.

It would have seemed a lot better if they’d put the two shots side-by-side like a normal live cross would look, to make it feel more like they were actually asking and answering questions.
I feel like it would have been far better if they’d actually crossed live to the reporter when pre-recording the bulletin and just aired it later exactly how they had filmed it - especially given it’s now daylight both when the bulletin is pre-recorded and when it airs.

1 Like

Oh, so sad. It’s bad that guys from 7QLD didn’t update their Youtube Channel for months now.

1 Like

When I last checked, they have a very active Facebook page with nightly videos.

1 Like

You’re right. It was very awkward and noticable.

They should have left out Jo’s questions.

Interesting tonight to see 7 News NQ covering Barnaby Joyce + others being disqualified from parliament as their second story tonight at 6:02pm.

Considering they advertise the bulletin as “a full half hour of local news”

1 Like

7 News NQ now (6:07pm) showing a pre-recorded cross to a 7 News reporter in Melbourne covering the World Cup.

Interesting to see national stories creeping in to the bulletin.

1 Like

Local update with promo - “Your News First”

4 Likes

Good play on the fact that 9 News always open on 1 or 2 national stories.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed recently that 7 News have been posting stories from other markets onto their Facebook pages (whenever they’re of relevence to more than one market).

This one I saw this morning is a particular oddity as it was posted on the 7 News Mackay facebook page, and features Joanne Desmond (who doesn’t even present the news in the Mackay market).

1 Like

A major local news story broke at 5:40pm this afternoon.

There was no mention of the late story on the opener of the bulletin (unlike 9 News), but the first story had been redone so that Rob Brough introduced the news with a “breaking news” RVO about the story, before then reading on with the originally planned first story.

2 Likes

Seven Local News has won 2017.

Winning every week since RegionalTAM survey commended, as well as winning every Seven News (Brisbane) week, expect two in one sub-market.

Not sure if Cynic is able to post the presser.

3 Likes

Sounds like the Rockhampton market to me.

Christmas greetings from 7 News Queensland

6 Likes

First night with Christmas tree

imageimage

8 Likes

This tree looks much more suited to TV than the one Nine Brisbane has.

It is more restrained and less distracting.

2 Likes

More decorations

2 Likes