Seven News (Regional Qld)

:nauseated_face:

5 Likes

Joanne Desmond presenting the central/south QLD bulletins tonight.

Steve Titmus joined Desmond in North QLD.

2 Likes

Live cross to Mackay was seen during the Brisbane one hour news with SLN microphone flag

3 Likes

I wonder what Seven’s excuse is to not update the RQLD set to a GC-style one? Nine is getting the 1-up on them with their new bulletins [in terms of content and composite format], and Seven’s just sitting there with no changes, likely confident that viewer loyalty will keep them going.

Perhaps it’s time for Brisbane to get a new set (those backdrops are 5 years old…) and give the current one to RQLD. The current Brisbane and GC sets would form a relatively connected regional look.

Edit: clarifying

1 Like

Well if you ask me Nine is one step behind, there set shouldn’t even be classified as one because it’s tacky and pure ugly. I personally think that there will be a new set maybe end of this year early next year. Why they haven’t changed is because locals generally don’t like change and they don’t want to overwhelm them with too much change when trying to compete against Nine. I think they are trying to say yes there are changes but you can still turn to the same local news that has been delivering news to your local area for years. The same could be said about WIN and why they haven’t changed much.

1 Like

I should’ve clarified that I meant Nine appears to be better content-wise with composite bulletins. But yes, Nine’s use of the green screen leaves much to be desired. While Nine are still working out the look of the bulletins, Seven should take the opportunity to refresh RQLD.

2 Likes

On the return from ad break tonight 7 News Townsville aired an ad, which I’m sure I’ve seen on this forum from the Gold Coast, something along the lines of “if you see something in your street, or your suburb, get in contact”.
But obviously it was a Townsville version, promoting their social media pages.
I’ll try and get a cap in the coming days.

3 Likes

Seven are pretty good when it comes to promos for their regional QLD news. Nine on the other hand…

3 Likes

7 Local News Queensland weather presenter Rosanna Natoli appears to be making a guest appearance on the ABC’s 7.30 program tonight!

1 Like

They ran a story on her tonight during 7 News - apparently her family have discovered a painting they own is worth $300,000

2 Likes

7 News Montage from Rockhampton last night

(I also recorded Townsville, but my recording had no audio unfortunately).

3 Likes

Quite a few issues on the supers on 7 News Townsville tonight:

Police officer turned reporter?

This guy is two different people…

6 Likes

Super issues not just confined to Townsville.

The Cairns bulletin promoted the twitter handle for 7 News Townsville on multiple occasions inside local stories.

4 Likes

Montage of 7 News Cairns from last night:

Interesting to see for the first sport story in the bulletin they just used the footage they filmed for Townsville (note the backdrop change).

(Townsville montage is still uploading)

2 Likes

Montage of 7 News Townsville from last night:

1 Like

Tonight I’m watching 7News Mackay; the presentation is good, but my first reaction is how slow it is, including how slow Rob Brough talks in the story introductions.

Not surprising given it’s only local news and so they’ll be in no hurry, aren’t going to edit stories tightly, but 7 mn in and I’m already bored (of course not being from here may have something to do with my lack of interest in the local news!), just as I have gotten bored when trying to watch any local news (like WIN News Canberra, & Prime years ago).

This is the problem I see with with local news only bulletins; they have to fill it with trivial & obvious stuff like how to keep your dog cool, and repeating the airline price hikes for flying to the NRL finals which was well covered elsewhere yesterday.

PS: Comparing to 9News regional bulletins; 7News has proper sets, good presenters, even per-story backgrounds; Seven could easily do a full combined bulletin, I don’t know why they don’t, other than not wanting to take a risk by changing from the current formula which is rating well (and of course that is important). I can see why it is well liked by viewers (despite my personal dislike for the local-only format, it’s duplication of stories, some weather & even currency exchange rates).

5 Likes

Two major problems with a pre-recorded bulletin were evident just now on 7 News NQ.

Joanne Desmond read an RVO about Townsville missing out on the heavy rain affecting QLD and that we have only seen 1 mm today and should only expect 5 mm tonight.
Meanwhile, it’s been absolutely bucketing down here for over 30 minutes now and was raining so heavy at the time, I could barely hear the TV.

She then went on to say “a severe weather warning is currently in place for locations south of Ayr”.
This warning was cancelled by the BOM around 4:30pm this afternoon :grimacing:

3 Likes

There is a lot of evidence to suggest this isn’t true. I’m assuming by “locals” you mean people who live outside of a Big 5 telephone code. There are many cases of Non-5 viewers deserting local 30 minute bulletins in droves - regardless the years it has been on air. WIN Canberra is now enjoying half the viewers it had this time last year, despite 25 years on air. Why? Because Ten just doesn’t bring in the viewers.

What would be useful to know is how many people switch from 9 to 7 at six o’clock in RQld - that would be evidence that “locals” prefer the seven offer.

3 Likes

Living in RQLD and knowing what people in the area are like, I would say very very few would be switching from 9 to 7, purely because they’re not watching 9 in the first place. People in this area just turn the TV to 7 relatively blindly most of the time from my observations.

3 Likes

Well, if you know what everyone in RQLD is doing, Oztam can shut down and just phone you :wink:

There are very few markets, regional or not, where one particular network has maintained a number one position in news consistently since aggregation. Southern Cross in Tassie is pretty close, but they had the strength of Seven and Ten programming for many years and have had the added bonus now of no local news on the Tasmania nine affiliate.

If we have learned anything since the great affiliation swap it’s that anything is possible - and that indeed includes the fact that you may be wrong.

“Because my nan likes 7” isn’t evidence and I sincerely doubt that Millionaire Hot Seat has zero viewers in regional Queensland.

I “know” the Canberra market pretty well, but was still surprised how many viewers deserted WIN when they moved to Ten.

1 Like