Seven News (Regional Qld)

Ahh yes, the infamous “Strong, Stable & Secure” promo for advertisers. I almost forgot about that one!

As for the topic at hand, I personally think Seven will remain #1 during the 6pm-7pm hour in regional Queensland. They’re backed up by Australia’s most popular TV network who’s programs rate proportionally higher regionally compared to the major East Coast metropolitan markets…enough said really.

But I think the new editions of Nine News might have a decent chance of outrating WIN News in Regional Queensland. Unlike Southern NSW/ACT where WIN has a senior newsreader who’s popular at least in the network’s home market, none of the current presenters of WIN News Queensland strike me as being particularly distinctive against the Seven & Nine presenters.

4 Likes

With both Sam and Paul both at Nine, WIN is probably f**ked.

4 Likes

Absolutely. WIN is screwed.

I don’t see 9 News being a major competition to 7 News for at least a few years yet. But they’ll outrate WIN News with minimal effort, especially considering they’ve poached WINs popular presenters.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that Nine News Brisbane already outrated WIN’s 30 minutes - so it will be pretty much status quo for a while anyway.

3 Likes

Just missed the start, but managed to get most of this ad I saw on 7 tonight basically promoting how good they are for sponsoring community events.

1 Like

Some throwback pictures of when reporter and fill-in anchor for North/Central QLD, Katie Toney did work experience at Seven Local News in the early 2000s.

BTW, Toney has been co-hosting in these regions with Rob for the past few nights.

9 Likes

Given it’s Queensland and going by the outfits and set, I’d date that as approximately 2014.

9 Likes

Townsville bulletin opener said “LIVE across Townsville and North Queensland” for 7 News tonight.

Likely due to the launch of 9 News?

2 Likes

We’ve also had a live cross on 7 News Townsville tonight.

Definitely competing against 9 News.

1 Like

I guess there’s an important Townsville story that needs up-to-date reporting. Mackay, as we are all aware, had that Live edition for the Cyclone Debbie coverage.

There didn’t appear to be anything more than normal on it. Looked done entirely due to the launch of 9 News

1 Like

If that’s the case, well Seven had their bullets prepared for that SCA/Nine clash across regional QLD.

Surely this would be a good excuse for them to replicate the Gold Coast set for regional QLD, they’ve had that old set for somewhere near a decade.

3 Likes

At least 13 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4cbGgkBr8

2 Likes

That set was actually pretty decent before they started mucking around with it.

Personally not a fan of the Gold Coast set so I’m hoping they leave it alone for now.

3 Likes

I think most would agree that the Regional Queensland local editions of Seven News are well overdue for a new set. The video backdrop looks pretty faded these days, which probably proves that the projector has been in use since 2004 or maybe even earlier!

But of course, it probably all comes down to money (while I couldn’t say for sure, I’d guess that the STQ budget is probably pretty tight given the current state of regional news in this country). Both that and the Southern Cross Tasmania theory: If it ain’t broke…

1 Like

Here’s the full 7 News Townsville bulletin from last night. Note the bulletin is Live, which is very rare, and features a live cross.

(Click image for video)

Also, notice how the backdrop is still showing daylight, even though it’s Winter, but on this occasion, after seeing that it’s actually dark during the live cross, the backdrop very quickly changes from full daylight to darkness.

2 Likes

Similar to last week when 9 News NQ was launched in Townsville, 7 News Mackay is live tonight.

2 Likes

I don’t see the point of this, especially if they go back to being pre-recorded next week…

5 Likes

Yeah, I have no idea why either.
In Townsville it was only Live for the Monday, back to pre-recorded from Tuesday night.

5 Likes