Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

you’d think a national bulletin from Sydney would make more sense.

1 Like

I hate calling for people to be sacked, but I’m making an exception here. Why can’t Seven fire all those useless people that have been dragging Seven behind? McPherson, Warburton, Ross, Morrison and the likes. All useless and pathetic at their roles.

1 Like

I like it. Something different and unique. Much more bearable than Tim Bailey IMO.

4 Likes

Yep, I agree. The complaints about mid-2000s Nine were remarkably similar in tone to those about Seven in 2020.

Not to mention the quality of content on Seven News Sydney.

I’m pretty sure that back in the mid-2000s when they were aiming to be #1 in the ratings for the first time in decades, Seven News Sydney were doing investigations into things like the quality of CityRail (as Sydney Trains was back then) services which I believe eventually became a major news story everywhere and actually lead to meaningful changes to the system.

These days, you’re more likely to see such journalism on Nine News Sydney (such as Chris O’Keefe’s award winning coverage on the Bankstown Hospital gas bungle in 2016, which I believe he did a follow-up on recently) compared to Seven where you might see things like “How to save money on your power bills” as a typical “Special Report”!

Not really. I would say the sport segments would be more in line with Adelaide and Melbourne.

This is clearly not an easy decision made by the networks. With the 4 other local afternoon bulletins continuing, I’m assuming this might be a temporary more in Adelaide until advertising $$$ picks up again.

Hard to believe Perth still has 2 presenters on weekends?

Really? Within time I reckon we’ll probably see the Sydney & South East Queensland 4pm bulletins merged, then the “North East” and “South East” editions a little after that…then the “East” and “West” versions.

I liked it when 7NEWS just had one national afternoon bulletin. I don’t know, maybe that’s just me?

4 Likes

If that’s the case… they may as well just do it now. And revert back to a national edition. The reason I think it’s temporary, is due to them keeping the other local bulletins.

Im more worried about the fact that Melbourne- the largest market - now won’t have a locally branded 4pm bulletin

4 Likes

At least we won’t have to see that terrible “Seven News @4PM” slogan and backdrop anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(That is, unless they adapt it the package to fit for both Adelaide and Melbourne)

3 Likes

Either way you won’t be hearing “live from Melbourne” or seeing a Melbourne skyline or all the other things that make a local bulletin successful in feeling local

Melbourne has really lost their local bulletin too, which is the bigger worry considering it’s the largest tv market and also over indexes in tv consumption

I don’t think they thought this through

11 Likes

Yes, totally agree with you.

1 Like

For such a parochial market, Seven is lucky The Chase is a stronger lead in to 6pm. They’d be dead in the water without it on weekdays.

2 Likes

I agree, HSV should be local. If they’re going to do this do it properly and have Mel front 4pm news again.

I’d say it’ll be the Melbourne bulletin as is.

They won’t broadcast a bulletin with a Melbourne skyline and “live from Melbourne” VO opener with Melbourne skyline in opener too a- into Adelaide

5 Likes

Big call. How’s your credentials as a news boss or leader of a station?

2 Likes

No credentials here but it doesn’t take an expert to decide whether or not a leader is effective or not. Just look at how much of a mess Seven is in right now. Mass redundancies, worse financial situation compared to the other networks. Only poor leadership and management would’ve led to that.

1 Like

To me it says Seven is directing its budget back towards the main battle which is 6pm. That’s fair. It’s where the money is. No company in Adelaide, be it local or agency sales, rings their sales manager at Seven and says “get me a package at 4pm!”

Well… no-one with brains anyway!

The battle is at 6 and prime time against 9 and to a lesser extent 10.

Lose some to win some.

3 Likes

Don’t ad slots (more or less) cost the same per 1000
Viewers?

So if 4pm news gets 50,000
And 6pm news gets 100,000

The ad rates at 4 are half price?
So you’re reaching the same amount of people per $ spent (more or less, I know 6pm is “premium”
But in that case you probably pay more to reach less people probably more bang for your buck at 4pm?

@portmacman