Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Melbourne has changed the weather wall at the start of Jane’s forecast to say ‘SEVERE WEATHER UPDATE’ with Jane Bunn.

So unneccesary.

5 Likes

Think it might’ve just been the “beyond covid”
promo I saw…

1 Like

Reckon you might find Mike was just sitting down cause he was chatting with Laurel off the top of the bulletin with some breaking news. And think the Severe Weather was simply because it was Severe Weather.
Reckon you’ve got to cut some slack when stuff is breaking, they’ve got to have back up plans for that sort of thing.
Wouldn’t read too much into it. The substance of the reporting was pretty good.

4 Likes

A little odd though to do breaking news that way.

Not how breaking news is meant to be done as this contrasts with the big red banner seen near the beginning of bulletin.

Seems to be a Next banner, instead of coming up?

Think you’ll find that 7NEWS has been doing COVID supers in blue for a month or so. Why does it matter though? It doesn’t look bad.

Why is it odd?

That’s not what I meant, but I mean now that you’ve brought it up, why is it in blue? They need to be red. Also in that pic title banner seems to be blue not red. Furthermore the breaking news bug is missing, instead replaced with “breaking news” displayed in the wrong location. Typical of 7 Melbourne to not keep with consistency.

There are plenty of other ways to do breaking news. Mike could have just breaked the news alone. Or he could have crossed to the newsroom to Laurel. Didn’t need to have Laurel next to him.

Why are you obsessed with consistency when it’s irrelevant? Surely it’s what looks best on the screen at any given moment? It’s all based on the same broad graphics package.

Thought it was great having Laurel at the desk. You also need to remember there are a lot of other things going on. They did cross to Sean Sowerby in the newsroom shortly after Laurel. Maybe they couldn’t do two crosses back to back to the same place so quickly.

1 Like

consistency is supreme :laughing:

They don’t keep to a graphics package. They are always trying to change up what they are doing. Also that shot didn’t look good on-screen as many MediaSpy members have commented (also what I think.)

1 Like

Good luck to you mate. I’m new here. But trying the counter some of the negativity. I love TV and radio news and love seeing how different channels adapt to different things.

6 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

Enjoy your time at MediaSpy!

2 Likes

Welcome!
Important point about the perception of comments made here - they’re people’s personal viewpoints critiquing what they see as important. Try not to read comments with an air of personal attack and you’ll find they’re not necessarily negative.
Also, you’ll find people are pretty much equally critical of all tv shows on here…

I guess it’s a matter of personal opinion, but ask the majority of branding experts and they’ll tell you that consistency is an important aspect to presenting any brand.
Sure, google change their logo on an almost daily basis, but they mostly keep their colour pallete or identity central. You could almost argue that that difference has become part of their identity.

7 news is not google and haven’t established themselves in a way that allows them to change things as much as they currently are… Coloured bars/accents on supers and having a consistent graphics package is an established norm throughout the industry. If they made a revolutionary change that was for the benefit of their viewers, people wouldn’t mind… but lately we’ve seen change-for-change sake.
Consistency helps viewers establish reading order, the importance of the information and how much attention they give something.

In my opinion, it’s super important to have consistency in any news graphics package.

Seven have some good elements that work for them, but they just need to calm down a bit and revise.

You’re missing the point @OnAir, they’re magically cramming a whole extra bulletin into their production schedule!

5 Likes

Solid observations from @crossroads. Thanks mate.

On the topic of consistency, here’s something I noticed from a recent Coronavirus Update in Perth that puzzled me a little bit:

Why is there two “LIVE” watermarks? The one on the lower-right corner is similar to what was used in the 2013-2016 Graphics package, while the one located in the top-right corner is the usual standard.

6 Likes

My apologies if I was a little harsh before, I and many others will surely realise what it means to be new. We’re all going to disagree at some point, there is going to be some negativity. But that doesn’t need to get in the way of having a good discussion.

2 Likes

I’m not sure - but I definitely prefer the smaller one in the corner - should be used on The Latest!

1 Like

I guess Perth viewers would find it hard to believe anything is truly “live” on their TV… the double up may just be to drive the message home.

1 Like