Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

I’m pretty sure that the 7 day forecast was introduced to Sydney TV news sometime in the Late '90s. I’m not sure exactly at what point, but all three commercial news bulletins were running 7 day forecasts (just for Sydney City, the dual City/West 7 day forecasts we’re all familiar with now came in at a later time) in 1999 from what I’ve seen.

Well that confirms that. I daresay Angie has been presenting the last couple of weeks to give Brownie time off to relocate, has he been appearing on weekend bulletins in Melbourne recently?

Seven has plenty to offer Sarah. For all we know, she may have actively requested a move away from working in the evenings five days a week.

1 Like

The question is, did David himself invent it? That’s what is claimed in the promo.

Seven are at least trying to get away with the claim by saying “television’s” but I doubt that is true either.

There is no mention that I can find anywhere that (including Seven’s own bio) that David invented the 7 day forecast.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d probably have to agree with that theory.

I’m not quite sure, to be perfectly honest. That would have to be a question for one of our longtime Melbourne TV news viewers I think.

1 Like

Depends really. Maybe she has decided to go part-time now that she has 2 young kids. Or asked to work a day shift or will return. Who knows. Hard to speculate - only Sarah and 7 news bosses would know for sure.

2 Likes

Yes David did… Seven Melbourne were the first station is Australia to forecast a 7 day outlook. I believe Seven Sydney followed soon after, along with the nine stations and so on.

5 Likes

But did he invent it? Yes he may be the first to use it on Australian television but did he invent the 7 day forecast? That is Seven’s claim.

No. On Saturdays the newsreader reads the weather and on Sundays Jane Bunn does the weather.
I think Brownie will not appear on Melbourne bulletins for the new few months, until Sarah Cumming returns from maternity leave.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:833, topic:103”]
Why is it (and to be fair, the Sydney/national set as well) predominately blue when the primary colour of Seven’s branding is red?
[/quote] Same with the whole Seven News presentation, red and black should make a return and ditch the blue. [quote=“TV.Cynic, post:840, topic:103”]
Bill should be used to it. He was doing “stand up” in 2012 during the 10 news revolution.
[/quote] I think the main idea came from Ten with the wideshot but the reason for all of a sudden use is due to the regular use on Nine News Queensland[quote=“spw68, post:844, topic:103”]
There’s great chemistry on screen… Watch after sport and they usually have a quick joke about something, and as the news closes, they’re all enjoying a great chat, and often a wave to the weather presenter if on location.
[/quote] I can have a pretend fake chat, just watch Anchorman. I don’t think they have good chemistry and find them boring to watch. Paul Burt started waving from the plasma last year, and I think Max Futcher was the first anchor who waved back. Looks unprofessional IMO. [quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:850, topic:103”]
I managed to see a promo airing for Seven News Sydney late last night which focused on David Brown’s weather. The endtag had Brownie and Fergo standing together.
[/quote] Definitely a permanent position. Great addition and will sure bring some strength and talent to the bulletin.[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:855, topic:103”]
Seven could also break up the blokiness on the Sydney 6pm bulletin by swapping Mark Ferguson for Melissa Doyle
[/quote] Don’t swap Mel for Mark. Ideally, I think Mark should be removed from presenting the 6pm News at all and IMO that is the best for everyone, except Mark and @antonio1987. I would like to see a double header of Melissa Doyle and Chris Reason, which IMO would create a very experienced team with Brownie and Jim. For the time being, if they didn’t want to get rid of Mark for moral issues, then Mel move to the weekday desk alongside Fergo, before he leaves the 6pm desk for good.[quote=“MLVD, post:860, topic:103, full:true”]
Can someone fact check that promo? Is David really the most qualified meteorologist on TV and did he really invent the 7 day forecast?
[/quote] It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the most experienced on television. Tony Auden, Josh Holt, Jane Bunn etc. all seem pretty young to me. I would love for someone to correct me on that. I know for a fact that Jane Bunn created the newly created 8-day forecast.[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:868, topic:103”]
I think Brownie will not appear on Melbourne bulletins for the new few months, until Sarah Cumming returns from maternity leave.
[/quote] HSV don’t deserve David Brown after they replaced him with amateurs. In fact, I don’t think he will return to Melbourne. Sarah might take over the Afternoon News or the weekend weather.

How long have they been using the 3x4 screen for weather ? Never seen it before.

I thought it was just something for the promos…

1 Like

They never have in Sydney, it’s just an image superimposed over the rollaway greenscreen that they use.

If you look closely, the boxes they’ve drawn on aren’t even all the same size (ie compare the top and bottom rows).

2 Likes

Yep, that is definitely an issue. Seven is lacking consistency there.

1 Like

Graham Creed is the closest to David Brown that I know.

2 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:852, topic:103”]
and here’s the promo:
[/quote] It is actually a really good promo, besides the sudden change in the V/O man and Marks awkward turn of the head of course. Interesting that Jim Wilson nor Melissa Doyle appear, but I am not going to complain. At least this promo isn’t all MARK FERGUSON -BANG! BANG!. I think this is a really strong and positive way of building Seven News Sydney in competition to Nine News. In fact, I am going to livestream David Brown’s weather report tonight.

2 Likes

very very tacky when you look at it up close, maybe the whole set is just a rollaway green screen??? #conspiracy2k16

1 Like

[quote=“eddel, post:872, topic:103”]
They never have in Sydney, it’s just an image superimposed over the rollaway greenscreen that they use.
[/quote] I can’t see why to the left of the set, a video wall can’t be wheeled up, covering the performance area. It just allows for more chemistry. Or a complete set called the ‘Weather Centre’.[quote=“nationalnews, post:877, topic:103”]
In fact, I am going to livestream David Brown’s weather report tonight.
[/quote] Does David Brown and Jim Wilson work Monday-Friday as they didn’t appear on Seven News tonight. If so very stupid. Why not have one team Sunday-Thursday and the other Friday-Saturday.

1 Like

Perth not using the city backdrop tonight - but rather what looks like the 4.30 and update backdrop.

Seven News Perth is using the control room backdrop rather than the Perth Skyline tonight.

1 Like

Haha yes.