Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

I prefer the 2004 to 2015 music theme.

Much more bold, exciting and gets your attention.

More serious sounding.

5 Likes

And what’s more, I don’t the new one will be as memorable as the 2004 theme. The violin, dramatic beat and the sting in the previous, is something that has been ingrained in our minds and makes us remember we’re watching Seven News. The swooches and other sounds don’t sound attention seeking and serious like you mentioned.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Seven needs a Sydney newsreader who’s likely to stay in the chair for an extended period of time just like Nine have. I’m sure Peter Overton will be still be presenting Nine’s 6pm bulletin in ten years time (if not twenty!) so Seven need to find a newsreader who’ll last for a similar length of time and I’m afraid to say that presenter isn’t Mark Ferguson.

I’d really love to hear an explanation for the big switch to Nine during the 6.30pm half…and for the poor ratings of Seven News Sydney during the Australian Open.

Also, while they might do a good job with coverage of major/sensitive news events I have to say that Seven’s regular day-to-day coverage often leaves quite a bit to be desired. Instead of changing their news coverage they only change the theme music (and set for the Sydney/national bulletins, but I bet that wouldn’t have even been touched if Sunrise didn’t get their new look)…where’s the logic in that?!

Sooner or later, I’m sure (or at least hope) that Sydney’s viewers with OzTAM ratings boxes will give Seven a message that they expect better by letting The Chase Australia win it’s timeslot with Nine News continuing to be the preferred choice of 6pm bulletin.

6 Likes

Cheers WATV :slight_smile:

The new theme isn’t loud enough in Perth. It makes very little impact during the headlines.

The audio isn’t great

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Melissa Doyle.

8 Likes

I completely agree with you there! :wink:

3 Likes

I’d be surprised if anything happens with the presenter for Seven News Sydney until some more ratings for this year come in. That will be the first thing used to assess the service - how well it is going now rather than during the non-ratings period or with the Australian Open as a lead-in.

Just looking at 4 night’s of results from this week so far for Sydney, the averages are

Seven 6pm 246,000
Nine 6pm 269,000

Seven 6.30pm 242,000
Nine 6.30p 284,000

That’s a 10% difference between the two services at 6pm and 14% across the hour. So the difference so far this week is not that great. Seven doesn’t lose many viewers at 6.30 (3,000) it’s just that Nine gains some. I think Seven would settle for this result for the moment and won’t rush into making any significant changes.

Where they need to be looking is Brisbane - Seven is now 38% behind Nine at 6pm and 34% across the hour.
In Melbourne the difference is 17% at 6pm and 16% across the hour. So both those markets need more attention than Sydney.

(Seven is 13% ahead in Adelaide and 56% in Perth across the news/TT hour)

1 Like

New voice over for Melissa Doyle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9MARxnR4I

2 Likes

Yeah for sure. Where Mark’s monotonous drone was overpowered by the new theme, it really works with Mel’s enunciation. Where he looked awkward in the new set she seems very much at home.

9 Likes

From that angle, that’s a great looking news set. Very fresh looking.

3 Likes

The radio station that does the 6pm news simulcast in Brisbane (96.5fm) is using the new theme music as well to fill gaps as they wait for the news to begin again after commercial breaks.

Camera should be a bit lower. The desk extension looks odd.

Late News update just aired with Paul Kadak…man that theme is amazing! Beautiful.

Does Doyle have her own update ender?

Oops. :confused: The Pulse of Perth short photo/video segment on Seven News is still using the 2004 Mission theme. Feels nice to hear it again :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you thought that’s behind the times, Seven Perth were still using a “click track” (for the lack of a better term) from the 1999 music package for Finance or “Money Watch” prior to the most recent theme change!

Yes I had noticed that! The final shread of the 1999-2004 theme has been finally retired, but I preferred that catchy beat than playing part of the new theme :confused:

Has Prime/GWN started using the new music yet, or are they still airing the old music?