Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

It seems that Nine is able to justify these investments so why not Seven as well?

They are treading on incredibly thin ice here.

2 Likes

Just a guess, but it could have something to do with Nine going into administration a few years back and coming out in a pretty good position.

Itā€™s strange that Seven apparently have been #1 in terms of ad revenue ahead of Nine, yet Nine have been investing heavily in news, especially on TV and online, yet Seven News seemingly has been undergoing cut after cut. Watching Seven News Brisbane is like being transported back to the 1990s.

5 Likes

Personally I thought the idea of having a weekend edition of the Gold Coast news was a good idea, but it (and the weeknight editions, to be fair) really shouldā€™ve been an hour long composite bulletin at 6pm with some of the more irrelevant Brisbane stories replaced with Gold Coast stories!

Although Iā€™m sure thereā€™s technical reasons as to why both networks do what they do in that market, I still personally believe that Seven and especially Nine (when you consider what their 6pm news strategy is in just about every other metro & major regional market) are ripping off the Gold Coast by not giving them a proper metro-style hour of news each night at 6pm with local, state, national & international content!

Of course, Nine News has also been affected by cutbacks in recent years. Remember the move to automation and the chopper sharing arrangements? Even if they were most likely voluntary retirements, I also suspect that the recent retirements of Ken Sutcliffe and Laurie Oakes were just the beginning of a major generational change at Nine News - donā€™t be overly surprised if more longtime presenters & reporters at Nine call it a career over the next few years!

2 Likes

Thing is, I donā€™t think people on the Gold Coast isnā€™t as disconnected to Brisbane as many thinks. Many GC residents commute to Brisbane for work, and many also have family up north, so I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to say that people on the Gold Coast donā€™t care about Brisbane.

Both Seven and Nine offer a high quality GC bulletin IMO, and if Seven persisted with their weekend bulletin, I think it would have been a good point of difference.

4 Likes

Iā€™m well aware that the Gold Coast is geographically close to Brisbane. Iā€™m also sure that many people on the Gold Coast have connections to Brisbane via work, family or other factors.

But population wise, the Gold Coast region currently has something like 600k residents and has had one of Australiaā€™s biggest population booms in recent times. Surely that justifies Seven and Nine producing a dedicated hour of local, state, national and international content for the Gold Coast? I mean really, there are currently regional areas that have a population less than half the size of the Gold Coastā€™s which have composite formats for their 6pm news!

Also, you also have to remember that the local Gold Coast news airs at 5.30pm (which I daresay is probably too early for many of those commuters from Brisbane you speak of) followed by the hour of Brisbane news at 6pm. Getting all the news in an hour is fine, but having to sit through 90 minutes of TV to get all the relevant info would be way too much for me if I visited or lived in the region!

3 Likes

Many of which have a lower quality bulletin compared to Nine Gold Coast News.

1 Like

Yeah, even though the Gold Coast also has neighbours at the NSW/QLD border (especially the Tweed and Lismore) that have connections with as well.

New promo airing in Perth focusing on Rick & Sue with the tagline ā€˜Perth is Rick Ardon & Susannah Carrā€™.

On a side note, voiceover man Fred Bottica seems to be speaking with a strong lisp these days. Quite odd.

6 Likes

Just saw the promo on Sunrise Perth News, looked quite nice actually. It in a way enforces stability and perfect timing since Tim and Emmy have gone from Nine.

Missed capping some good shots of Rick and Sue entering the studio and sitting at the desk but Iā€™ll try get them later.

5 Likes

Well we can now be assured the Sue isnā€™t going to 9Perth haha!!

2 Likes

Very corny but people love it! :joy:

Whatever happened to breaking the record?

1 Like

They forgot about it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

6 Likes
12 Likes

Seven News Melbourne will be moving to a temporary setup soon (located in the secondary studio), while the new set is being constructed.

20 Likes

Presumably they will also present some bulletins from the tennis? Or have they stopped doing that now?

4 Likes

They havenā€™t presented at Melbourne Park since about 2010/2011 I reckon.

There was a flood or fire crisis so they moved location, then returned to the studio and the year after never returned to Melbourne Park.

3 Likes

Wots ur sauce m80

2 Likes

A few others have stated the same information on here. It sounds like something is happening.

I wonder if itā€™ll be a replica of the Sydney set? Both cities have had the same sets for the past decade.

1 Like