Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

New short promo for meteorologist David Brown in Sydney with new look graphics as seen in other recent promos, promoting his excellence in the field which is definitely well-deserved

7 Likes

According to the EPG for next week, the same week Adelaide starts its local afternoon hour at 4:00, Perth will also get an hour of local afternoon news supposedly like Adelaide. Nothing has been officially confirmed but if you look at Perth’s EPG, the 4:00 news hour is not split in two like it usually is and the description says “Live from the Channel Seven Perth studios, the latest local, national and international news, plus sport and weather updates” so this sounds very promising!!

5 Likes

Hopefully the extended bulletin will be a lot more polished than the current 4.30 Bulletin, because it feels quite rough, and most of the stories just tell us to “tune in at 6 for the full story and the reason” and it’ll sometimes just cut to an ad with no transition. Frankly, all of Perth’s Bulletins need revamping, the format’s feeling quite tired, and more could be done with current Virtual Set, than just using Tosh.O esque backdrops. :confused:

7 Likes

Presuming that Perth’s Afternoon News will run for a full hour next week, I think we can safely presume that the current semi-national edition produced in Sydney will be localised a bit for us on Monday.

In that case, I’d probably expect the presenters to remain the same (Ann Sanders for News, Jim Wilson on Sport & David Brown for Weather) and the cross to CommSec for the finance report to continue as well.

Obviously I’d expect the content to be localised with more Sydney-focused content to compete with Nine News Sydney at 4pm. The “…but first, here’s what’s happening in your local Seven News at Six” window around 4.45pm would probably continue, so Prime7 and any other affiliates who might carry this bulletin but not Sydney’s 6pm news will be able to insert their own content in lieu of the Sydney News Update & Sponsored Traffic Report.

Presentation wise, probably mostly the same as it is now but with a localised backdrop (but something that’s different to the 6pm liveshot) and a localised titlecard.

6 Likes

Apologies for the double post, but I think this is the promo you’re referring to:

That endtag shot looks like it was recycled from the promos that aired in February 2016 when David Brown officially became Seven News Sydney’s main weather presenter, looking a little outdated now with the desk!

Also, very dodgy picture quality (even moreso than the usual upconverted SD to HD we’ve come to expect from many elements of Seven News) for this competition promo that aired during an ad break here in Sydney tonight! :open_mouth:

I don’t know if it’s because they didn’t render the file correctly or whatever else, but the picture quality was so bad that you couldn’t even read the competition terms & conditions in the 2nd pic! :confused:

5 Likes

Would be good if they used there other city Sky cam for the afternoon news

After watching it last week, it was pretty much all Sydney stories anyway but then again it depends on the news day

5 Likes

Caption blooper

6 Likes

Can confirm from Monday Perth will Have a 1 hr news at 4 pm live

4 Likes

Would that also mean the “Live from our Sydney headquarters…” intro will be heard at the start of the Sydney afternoon news?

2 Likes

Melbourne and Queensland both use a unique opener for their afternoon bulletins rather than the full 6pm spiel (“From Melbourne, this is Seven’s Afternoon News” and “This is Seven News Queensland”).

I think they will keep things fairly generic in Sydney. Maybe a new backdrop and titlecard at some point (probably not next week though if we are being realistic) but without too many local references. There doesn’t seem to be the same sensitivity about it here because I think most viewers assume the bulletins come out of Sydney regardless of the local/national branding.

4 Likes

Where did you officially hear this confirmed? Is there now an article somewhere talking about it?

1 Like

Howard Gretten news director in perth twitted

3 Likes

@WATV Thanks for that.

Also, a different globe background was used for the first few stories of the Early News this morning before the other perhaps more ugly one returned.

2 Likes

Please do away with that ugly globe.

2 Likes

Looks like the old globe with just the brightness turned up. (More emphasis on the “sun”)

3 Likes

6 Likes

Hopefully they’ll be improvements than just a 30 minute bump-up, because Nine Live Perth is the more superior Afternoon News Bulletin at the moment, offering more than just sneak peeks of what’s in store for the 6pm News. Hopefully they enhance the viewing experience come Monday.

2 Likes

Perth needs a smooth opener like Sydney with the music continuing. Perhaps some standing presentation, a full sports segment atm it’s just 2 mins before the weather and of course a better backdrop .

3 Likes

Howard has a lot to answer for of late.

3 Likes

Hopefully we’ll see Monica presenting it.

2 Likes