Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Bold new set and brand new graphics with a beige presenter smack bang in the middle of it will do zip. The only people who give two hoots about that stuff are members here. Joe Average is more interested in who’s beaming into their lounge room and what they’re saying.

2 Likes

Entirely agree… HOWEVER… a presentation (combo of set and graphics) that reeks of credibility and professionalism (which they don’t have) can go some way (how far is debatable) in establishing 7 News as a competent news brand rather than the cartoonish look they currently have.

5 Likes

Seven Brisbane also running their “First” promo tonight.

Exactly.

The current presentation of Nine News reeks of credibility and professionalism to the point that it can make questionable content look decent. That’s what Seven should be aiming to do with their new look.

Yes, also saw it.

It was different (newer, with the flashing arrow) than the ones this afternoo just for Melbourne.

So either they just created it OR that came from Sydney (they have the back-up play-out centre at Martin Place, I remember Beretts showing it on a Sunrise tour 6 years ago).

Not really related to the On-Air Presentation of Seven News (more in the category of general channel On-Air Presentation) but I think this is it:

Not bad, but I think it could be a bit longer…

4 Likes

Not sure if this is that important, but has anyone spotted the microphones with just the Seven logo and not the News part? I spotted a nation report using the new microphone a few weeks ago. There are usually spotted in reports done by Mike Amor or Angelia Cox in the US, so I wonder if that will be part of the refresh.

1 Like

You would think that it was shortened so it wouldn’t get in the way of the scoreboard if it needs to expand while the ticker is up.

1 Like

Slightly altered weather graphics in Sydney last night. Not sure if these are a permanent thing or just a random anomaly.

1 Like

That’s exactly my point. It is all superficial until they address the actual issues. At present, they are merely glossing over the elephant in the room. Address the elephant.

1 Like

I definitely think it’s a slight improvement (makes the locations a bit more legible), but why would Seven do any changes to the current look if a new look is supposedly on the way?

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if the refresh to Seven News isn’t as dramatic as we’re all hoping for…

1 Like

David Brown might have changed it, he probably has his own way of doing things.

Does Brownie get his clicky-thingo to transition the weather graphics (at his own pace) in Sydney, or not?

Really interesting reading the above comments and the changes to come to Seven News. So a new set is sure on its way and perhaps graphics. Dare we say the Mission is updated?

Dare we say that pigs are flying? :stuck_out_tongue:

Because somehow, I think that’s more likely to happen before a theme music change next Monday!

1 Like

Shows what an awesome space the Martin Place studio is. It’s always had the potential to be something really special, but they’ve always filled it with dinky little sets.

If they’re using a good US set designer for the Sunrise set like they did last time, and they’re getting a new Seven News set at the same time, what are the chances that the same designer is doing both sets and we’re in for the first actually good news set in decades?

3 Likes

I’d love to think that the version of the Mission playing in promos over the last month will be the new theme but somehow I doubt it.

If there was to be a new version of the theme music, I think it would be fast paced to better suit the content of metropolitan/national bulletins.

The original or even updated NBC version of The Mission is great, but I think the pace of that theme would better suit the regional bulletins. Unless Seven are planning to adopt a news format with more in-depth coverage and reports (unfortunately, that’s probably something far too high brow for the “outer suburban” demographic that is Seven News’ target audience), I don’t think we’re likely to hear an NBC version of The Mission without alteration on the 6pm news in markets like Sydney or Melbourne.

1 Like

Not necessarily, NBC Nightly News is a very fast-paced and modern production these days and the theme works well. Seven News is stale in comparison despite the tabloid content.

The classic theme might add a bit of pomp and pedigree to an otherwise milquetoast production.

I have to totally agree with you there KVZ.

The classic version of the mission will actually give what is now a wasted news brand a credibility boost. When I hear that theme in the promos it gives the brand a bit of dignity. I do not know who pressed the ‘Approve’ button for the theme on air now at Seven News. There is no authority to that theme, it’s just a rough and chopped up version of the Mission signature.

I’ve got a strong feeling a new theme will grace our tv speakers in the very near future.