Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Almost a shame Michael has confirmed that, speculation is half the fun haha. I wonder if they will go all Feb 1 on us or launch on Aus Open Men’s Final on Sunday. Personally, I think the Sunday would be the better option but expect it to be on Monday.

1 Like

Sunday 6pm for sure, then they can roll out new graphics and whatever across the daytime bulletins on Feb1.

1 Like

Sydney has a sinkhole to the left of Fergo according to Seven’s background

1 Like

It will be interesting how they decide to roll it out. The sets now are a mixed bag of differences. Hopefully this will be a national approach :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

David Brown presenting Sydney’s weather tonight.

News relaunches (generally) always happen on Mondays, so my main prediction would be February 1 at 6pm, maybe with national bulletins presented from Melbourne that day.

Of course I could (and probably will) be completely wrong with my prediction but hey, it doesn’t hurt to guess right?

5 Likes

I don’t know why people always want the same sets in every city. How boring. I’d rather see each city and market have their own local set with local personality that works for the market.

Only one hour a day out of 24 is local on 7 and 9 basically. Let’s see some local sets not all homogenized and the eame

Good point. It’s nice to have a local approach but it would be nice if some elements from the national set implemented while still giving it some local personality. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It must be said that Australia isn’t the only country in the world where the design of TV news sets is the same/very similar in multiple markets (apart from obvious features like city skylines, etc.).

And besides, there’s very good reasons for the networks to do a standardised look for the news: Obviously because it’s cheaper, but also so the brands of the local and national news tie-in with each other. Don’t get me wrong I do like individualised branding for different local markets, but unfortunately that’s fast becoming a thing of the past these days not just in media but generally.

That said, I’d be very surprised if Seven plan to adopt the new Sydney/national set design in every market because their current/old design of Sydney/national set only even made it into Melbourne with Queensland, Adelaide & Perth being allowed to do their own thing.

If this was any other network, I’d say that there’s a good chance of similar sets in every market. But Seven (not just in news, but generally) seem to pride themselves on local branding, especially in the smaller markets.

1 Like

The set and graphics are the least of Sydney’s problems. Address the real issues rather than focusing on the superficial eg content & presenter.

2 Likes

Of course I completely agree that changing the content and presenter (I say replace Mark with Mel on February 1!) of Seven News Sydney should be a major priority, but who seriously thinks that the current/old set or graphics looks good? :confounded:

3 Likes

I actually think presentation is one of Seven’s BIGGEST problems in Sydney. I think a bold new set, a brand new graphics package and some major structural changes (ie a new opener, maybe a doubleheader starting some time this year) could really bring a fresh energy and some direction/purpose to the bulletin.

3 Likes

David Brown presenting Sydney’s weather in front of the world’s most obvious green screen

1 Like

He looks like he’s being lit by a couple of desk lamps.

2 Likes

Will the rest of the country follow even thou SA & WA have got new sets in recent years

Considering that Seven News Perth only got it’s new “set” only in February last year, unfortunately I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if it’s 2020 or later before you guys over in the West get an upgrade.

1 Like

Depends on how easily it can be loaded into its Chroma Key software lol

1 Like

I was thinking how they would handle this, after having the set for almost year. Hopefully they can tweak the set graphics to reflect the changes. Will just have to wait till Feb 1…

1 Like

Did anyone just see the breaking news crawler? It had Seven’s updated look.

1 Like

Yes. Saw it on the tennis here in Brisbane. Started with the arrow and “Breaking News”. Went across the right hand half of the screen only.

1 Like