Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Found some nice photos while browsing online today
Found here.

15 Likes

The golden years…

10 Likes

Current GC end tags

6 Likes

GC News with rainy backdrop and weather report

3 Likes

I understand the claim relates to the 7 News brand overall, but does anyone else think it looks odd saying ‘7 News Gold Coast - Queensland’s No.1’ ?
Ummm, it’s only shown on the GOLD COAST! :confused:

6 Likes

And doesn’t 9 Gold Coast News beat it?

11 Likes

More than likely - even simply for fact it’s been around, like what, 20 years?

3 Likes

Nine Gold Coast News has an approximately 20.5 year advantage over Seven Gold Coast News. And I’m sure Nine’s news outrates Seven’s in that market too!

2 Likes

If you ask me, the presenters and content of Seven News Sydney are still as bad as before and I think their wins last year was only the honeymoon period.

Content wise, Seven should start making use of their resources by covering all of Sydney, and also make sense of which news are important. Set wise, they can start being innovative again by using their plasmas, or even utelise a weather centre area (Point of Difference to Nine, which Brownie would look really good in. Although I’d rather wish Seven used the same presenting area for Sunrise by using a common desk which can switch modes, which will definitely improve the quality of the Sunrise set and for goodness sake, get Fergo to do standing
presentations!)

Presenter-wise, Seven made a massive mistake when they axed Bathie and paid the price when she left, and axing Mel Doyle was another of those stupid mistakes. Neither Fergo or Musher is good enough for Seven News IMO, SO FOR HEAVENS SAKE, get Mel Doyle back to newsreading again (weeknights this time). Craig McPherson, if you are reading this, MARK MY WORDS, if you don’t address any of these issues above, or only address a few of them, don’t expect Seven News Sydney to win… FOREVER!

7 Likes

Seven would have better luck if they split the HSV feed and provide a separate feed to the Geelong transmitters with local news.

Ian Ross & Chris Bath era… ahh they were they good days of Seven News Sydney IMO. After Bath left i don’t watch the news service anymore!

6 Likes

Well well well, it’s almost one year since Seven’s new Sydney/National set was launched. Any thoughts and feedback? And if HSV-7 was to build a replica set this year, what are some suggestions and improvements the set could make (taking into consideration of the current layout of the current Melbourne set)? All comments welcome.

I really like it. Only thing I would say is to intergrate the video wall better, instead of using the sunrise screen. But it works. And, going against the trend here, but replacing the live shot with a “postcard” skyline like they had would be good IMO. I dont get the love for the live shot. Use it in weather etc, but not the full bulletin.

2 Likes

As I said in the Sunrise thread, the set would’ve looked great if it was launched in 2006…not 2016.

Even after less than a full year, I personally think that the current Seven News Sydney/national set looks and feels rather cheap & tacky. Even the current/outgoing Nine News Sydney set launched back in 2009 looks better IMO!

I know that you’re probably not going to agree, but both of the two blurry backdrop loops used by Seven News Sydney between July 2014 and July 2016 looked awful IMO!

I’m personally of the mindset that use a liveshot is absolutely essential for a 6pm news bulletin in Australia’s biggest city, especially after seeing Nine News Sydney with a proper liveshot and Seven News Sydney with a blurry loop during a couple of Summers and the last two Vivid light display festivals!

That said, I’d certainly prefer it if Seven’s liveshot wasn’t near identical to the one that Nine News Sydney uses!

1 Like

Way less blue and keep using the videowall for weather and standing presentation. Other than that, the highly-inspired NBC News set, is quite good IMO.

1 Like

I think Seven Perth should rethink which headlines go first for the Local Perth bulletin… James Hird’s health scare was first, instead of a 17 year old Perth student falling to his death due to poor work practices. I don’t think they should use Seven’s partnership with the AFL as an excuse to make AFL stories first. Yes, the situation with James Hird is sad, but I think a serious Perth story should be first.

4 Likes

I really like it although I think it is too blue. I do not like the blue behind the 2 plasmas on either side, I would prefer a darker, potentially black globe style map. Although, they have used a lighter blue so it fits sunrise aswell. On the plasmas to the side, I would prefer a newsroom shot and or control room. Other than that, I think the set is nice and fine and wouldn’t cause the average viewer to switch off.

Also something else, the 7 news Sydney Facebook page recently hit 1 million likes. That makes it the most liked city news Facebook page out of 9,7,10, abc etc (the 9 news Aus and 7 news Aus - 9 news Aus is most liked) both have a million. I think the uploading of each story on Facebook is very effective. Everyone has social media and every news clip that is shared and liked on my news feed seems to be from 7. 7 news Sydney seem to be posting every story of the night - an effective move IMO.

4 Likes

I doubt they will build a replica set in Melbourne. Creative control has clearly been handed over to the individual newsrooms so I would expect to see Melbourne do something totally different like Queensland/Perth/Adelaide all have over the last few years.

Personally I don’t dislike the Sydney set but it doesn’t get me particularly excited either. It was obviously thrown together with very little consideration for how it would actually work on-air, a wasted opportunity to reposition the bulletin/brand and to make better use of the resources available to them in that studio (ie there are two huge plasma walls that have never been used during bulletins, the views out onto the plaza/street, balcony from the newsroom etc).

And yes, too much blue. And way too dark as well, there’s absolutely no reason why news sets should be as dark as they are in this country.

6 Likes

And have 0 viewers for Geelong broadcast? I’d say over 90% of people are pointing to Mt Dandenong. The Geelong transmitter is more for dead spots.

Little name graphic to identify the speaker in the subtitles:

Edit: Nine have not run subtitles for Paul.

6 Likes