Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Hah! Ok? Is it just me or does having a drone referred to in this way make the news feel a bit cheap? The resolution from the drone just doesn’t compare to what a camera person filming from the old 7 News chopper could do.

This was used in a live cross about the current heat in Adelaide.

9 Likes

I agree. A helicopter was worth promoting, but a UAV…not so much.
UAVs are so cheap and anyone can do it, so what are Seven trying to say? (‘CHEAP!’?)
They should downplay it. Even if they keep the thing in the corner they should at least skip the full-screen thing (and any voiceover announcing it).

2 Likes

Yep! In recent times the presenter has at least once introduced recorded drone video by saying “The 7 news drone has captured images/pictures/video of…” and it just sounds odd.

Picture quality aside, what is more important here? The fact the images are live and happening now or the fact that they are coming from a drone? I’m going with the former! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nah, drones make the news feel hip and happening. Current and down with the kids. Living life on the edge.

Seriously. Any excuse for a graphic :roll_eyes: When did that become a thing for 7 and 9? Breaking news… Ok. Live… unnecessary, but ok. Everything else, too intrusive.

8 Likes

Still, not as bad as the breaking news about the fight in Port Augusta (?) that made it into the first block of Seven News Adelaide last night. Nothing particularly important or special about the story, certainly not breaking news worthy, other than the fact they had pictures. Not taking anything away from the victims, but considering I could find zero mention of it on any Adelaide news sites or social media, including Seven News itself, seems like a case of exaggerating a story purely based on the fact they had the pictures, not that it was newsworthy.

1 Like

Just watched 7 News Sydney and does it’s closer now always include a promo?

No, I think that might be a new thing…

1 Like

Tacky if you ask me. Although they had a relatively long closer tonight due to a technical glitch so wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why they decided to show a promo.

3 Likes

Footage from Today used on 7 Morning News

5 Likes

Happens regularly. Networks often share their breakfast TV interviews with each other and just put a bug at the top.

3 Likes

Did Robert Ovadia record the voiceover for this Xie story in the back of a moving taxi? Shocking audio.

Crazy how the networks can act like grown up in these situations, but feel the need to rip off each other’s exclusive footage and market it as their own, hence their need to slap super wide and super large watermarks on anything smelling of exclusivity.

4 Likes

@bubandbob

Right?! Well said.

I feel like a typical 7 News viewer would think more of not less, and have more respect for 7 News is that put a normal
Super up that said “Footage Courtesy: 9 News”

Rather than a giant FIRST ON 7 NEWS bug animating wcross the screen in giant letters

5 Likes

7 News now deciding to use helicopter atmos on drone pictures. Funny.

I am unsure if these have been posted before perhaps on the old forum?, here are some photos of the virtual set in Perth. I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons why they went virtual was due to space, but if you ask me it looks like there is plenty of space to construct a proper set.

18 Likes

Is the 5pm bulletin only airing in NSW tonight? They are using the Sydney backdrop and all Sydney elements… NSW stories also dominated the opener.

4 Likes

@NewsKing was just about to post about this,yes airing in Melbourne.

1 Like

Nope airing here in Melbourne too

Hopefully it’s a sign they are doing away with that God-awful national backdrop and we’ll get a new one in coming weeks!!

3 Likes

A virtual set is probably also cheaper and more flexible than a “real” set.

7 Likes