Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Thanks for the caps JackMelbTV.

God, that is one ugly bulletin.

The visible red office chair. The wrong resolution background behind the weather presenter. The TV wall zoomed in enough to look like a backdrop behind the presenter. All awful.

It’s not perfect, it’s not good either - it’s nasty.

2 Likes

Exactly. Same goes for any new graphics/themes not being rolled out in perfect synchronisation. 90% of viewers (likely a lot more) wouldn’t know, and DON’T CARE.

The more H&A struggles in the 7pm time slot, the more I think 7 should be looking at public affairs at 7.00 in 2017. I’d be going Project style. Could Mel Doyle front it? With the likes of Hamish McDonald? Gretel Killeen? Maybe this is where Ron Wilson might fit? Just throwing ideas out there… and I’d be launching it during the tennis in January.
Not sure what to do with H&A? It still has life but not cutting it at 7pm on the main channel.

1 Like

Just as long as the show which has those two words starting with T isn’t revived on the East Coast…

Nah it has to be something completely different. There used to be a show Neil Mercer fronted on Wednesdays around 10.30. Had some narrated stories and some where the stories were told through text on screen if you get what I mean. It was something different.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the program you’re referring to was The Times which aired from March 1994 until November 1995.

Media Watcher Paul Barry was also the host at some stage, probably for it’s 2nd year after Neil Mercer became the original presenter of Sydney’s Today Tonight at it’s January 1995 launch.

1 Like

That’s it, yes, The Times.

How about trying to put Seven News Investigates in?

I don’t think it’s that bad…

Some of the graphics they have on the backdrop looked like a nice use of colours, particularly the “Digs Day”, “Sharks Party” and “Price Boom” ones.

And who is the newsreader in the red dress?

Promo for 7 News Brisbane from today - according to which “people are making the switch to Seven News”.

3 Likes

Before I watched the promo, I said to myself, “I will make the switch if Seven News Brisbane don’t use those stupid First on… transitions graphics.” Then I see them in the first two seconds of the promo. YUCK. That promo is even too cheap for ACA, please Nine News Brisbane and Seven News Brisbane STOP USING THAT TABLOID NONSENSE. PLEEEEASE!

2 Likes

I don’t know, Seven News Queensland aren’t telling us that we should never marry a doctor and that Bill McDonald/Sharyn Ghidella are in our loungerooms and even our front yards just yet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I generally agree that it’s a pretty terrible promo. Mind you, Seven News Sydney current promotional efforts really aren’t that much better, what with the tacky “Australia’s #1” voiceover addition at the end of the promos which sounds so out of place.

Really love the quick pace and the use of the theme song From the titlecard to the intro bed and Ann’s VO. It all works really well good establishing shot of the set and good cutting on the music’s cues. Great use of the theme. Was great to see Ann In prime time too!

4 Likes

There is a new promo introducing Michael Usher. The firet time Michael usher speaks it sounds exactly the same as Chris Maher.

I completely agree.

Although I’d go one step further and say that Seven News Sydney needs to promote the strengths of their reporters (since many of Seven Sydney’s current news reporters have been on our screens for considerably less time than most on Nine) as well as their presenters. Something like “Sydney’s Fastest Growing News Service” would probably be a better tagline that “Australia’s #1” as well.

That said, they still really need to improve the quality of the content and cut back on the Western Sydney-centricness a bit.

3 Likes

@SydneyCityTV

Greater Western Sydney contains about 45% of the Sydney TV market’s total audience.

The area also over indexes in TV consumption - that is they watch more TV and and are more likely to watch TV than The Northern Suburbs, Eastern and South.

Hence the focus - makes perfect sense to me.

That’s where the ratings points are.

I just need to put on record how awful that national backdrop is. Really, is that the best we can do? It almost looks keyed.

1 Like

The one with the globe?

Yes, that’s the one. I’m just watching it on my television now. Been overseas for two months so haven’t actually seen it in front of me.

It is so bad!
What is wrong with a newsroom or control room shot?

2 Likes