Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

The black flooring is just big glossy panels that can be put down and pulled up again very quickly.

They also only put down a few panels around the desk rather than doing the whole studio, basically just whatever the cameras can see can see, for example (from Angie’s instagram):

2 Likes

Sorry, uploading photos doesn’t seem to work very well on a phone. Second try:

3 Likes

How old is that photo? Because now the marble is covered up on the Sunrise set with wooden flooring.

3 Likes

I know it’s not likely to happen anytime soon (although this can be said about a lot of things in relation to Seven News Sydney!) but I wish they’d throw down a few more black panels and show off the set more often, to provide a point of difference to the tighter, more static camera angles on Nine News Sydney ever since they moved to automation.

1 Like

From just after the new set launched. The black would also extend further now to reach the small weather plasma.

I’m not really sure there’s much more that they can show off. The are to the left is just empty space and to the right of the weather plasma is the corner window that faces out on the plaza.

What would have been really good is a set that actually integrated the quirks of the space (ie the balcony, awkward corner and the windows). I might mock something up :thinking:

2 Likes

As seen on 7 News Perth tonight

4 Likes

I just wish Seven could put the black flooring through the entire studio and get permanent sets in the studio (Sunrise set there when Seven News is on, but really, the Sunrise desk should be directly opposite the seven news desk), and stop moving desks around for the sake of getting the Seven News Set out of the way for Sunrise and for the Early News presenters to sit in such an uncomfortable way. Also Seven should consider getting a black roof with a stylish light to make the studio even glossier (looks just like an industrial warehouse to me - the lights above the presenter look like they’re made out of tin can!)

1 Like

Lol

6 Likes

How many times I’ve heard people say they won’t watch Seven News because they switch sets with Sunrise. Amateurs

4 Likes

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised, but another Seven News Sydney fail tonight: No update to the titlecard footage (or the vertical plasma display, which had images of the Sydney Harbour bridge at night despite it being daytime/sunset on the liveshot) for Daylight Saving tonight!

While admittedly minor in the grand scheme of things, is it any wonder that Media Spy complains about the standards of On-Air Presentation when inconsistencies like this remain even after a gradual refresh throughout the year?

Last time I checked, Seven News was the number one news having won every survey week this year at 6pm.

2 Likes

@JackMelbTV probably will. But for now here is the opener, with at least the first fifteen minutes of tonight’s bulletin dedicated to sport:
https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/782476942297575424

1 Like

But that’s only thanks to Perth and Adelaide. The East Coast is failing (but the margin is getting smaller). If Seven really wants to be consistent in appearances, then they probably should make their studios consistent like how Nine has it in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (which means the same studio set for Melbourne and Brisbane and make some minor changes to Adelaide and Perth sets).

2 Likes

I can’t see viewers in one city caring at all (or even knowing) that their news set is different to other cities.

5 Likes

I’ll probably cop it from people on here but a lot of yous really need to understand that your average viewer couldn’t really give a shit about sets and graphics. As long as the graphics are readable, it’s fine.
Your average viewer wouldn’t pick up on your ‘seven news fails’ either.
Yes, good presentation is important in the success of a news bulletin, but I don’t think that sevens current sets or graphics would loose any viewers. I think it’s fine.

9 Likes

The problem isn’t that each individual element is poor, it’s that the brand as a whole has been very poorly put together.

2 Likes

Some caps of today’s edition of the Afternoon News in Melbourne;

10 Likes

That first cap? Is that from the 90s?

1 Like

Sure looks it doesn’t it, nothing about that opener says modern & fresh or 2016.

1 Like

Apart from the opener, it’s good to see they’re getting the most from the set. Not perfect, but it’s good.

4 Likes