Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Rubbish. The live crosses are marked with copious indicators as to their LIVE nature.

It is called a ‘LOOK LIVE.’ As in looking live.

Not the lay people I’ve spoken to. And they don’t have any control over the production of the bulletin, that would be the actual producers.

Seven News breaches accuracy requirements

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has found that Channel Seven Brisbane Pty Limited (Channel Seven) breached the accuracy provisions of the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice 2015 (the Code) during a report aired on Seven News on 20 April this year.

The ACMA investigated a complaint about the report which concerned a re-sentencing hearing in the District Court in Brisbane. The report included remarks made by the judge that were critical of the defendant’s (current) lawyers along with images of two people walking with the defendant in the vicinity of a court building. The defendant’s lawyers were not named.

In fact, the people shown walking with the defendant were not his current lawyers. They had been his lawyers in 2013 when the images used in the report were recorded but at the time of the 2016 broadcast they were no longer acting in that capacity.

The ACMA considered that the identity of the lawyers, conveyed through the use of recorded images, was a material fact in the context of the news report. Accordingly, because images of the wrong individuals were broadcast, factual material was not broadcast accurately as required by clause 3.3.1 of the Code.

Channel Seven has acknowledged that the images were not of the defendant’s current legal representatives although it was unaware of this at the time the report went to air.

The ACMA also found that Channel Seven breached its obligations at clause 3.3.3 of the Code as it failed to correct or clarify a material error of fact when the error was brought to its attention by the complainant following the broadcast.

Channel Seven Brisbane Pty Limited has undertaken to bring the ACMA’s decision to the attention of its news and current affairs staff, and to include reference to the decision in future training courses concerning the Code.

1 Like

We’re talking about crosses that are not live, but which give the viewers the impression that they are live.

It’s very simple to understand.

If you’re referring to something actually marked as LIVE, then that’s not what we’re talking about.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Who cares what the industry self labels it as. Totally meaningless. In that case I’m calling it a ‘FAKE LIVE LOOK’.

It’s like telling me a criminal refers to their crime as something that isn’t a crime. Therefore, it’s not a crime.

I don’t care about the lay people you’ve spoken to. I used the term. Not your mates or whoever else you’ve spoken to. Me. On this board. And in using that term here, as a lay person, it was very obvious that I was referring to an individual behind the scenes involved in production.

LOL, it is called a look like. And as a website that discusses the industry from a very inside / behind the scenes angle…well…

You’re confused. I’m referring to his use of the definition, in attempting to counter my point about its use being deceptive, as dumb and meaningless. I’m not saying that the term is not used in the industry. That’s why I actually stated that that is what the industry self labels it as.

In response to stating this:

Why on earth is the reporter nodding silently at the beginning of a live cross, if not to imply that he is, at that moment, listening to the tail end of what the presenter is asking?

lexington told me it is called a look live. As in looking live. No shit. They’re attempting to make it look live when it isn’t. That’s deception.

Don’t use the term in an attempt to argue that the format is not deceiving to viewers.

Television is full of deception, smoke and mirrors, hype, tricks and gimmicks. All in an attempt to make content more interesting / exciting / fast moving / entertaining

We are talking about 7 news here. It’s hardly the pinicle of quality journalism.

It’s just another trick they use. Along with thousands of other broadcasters using the trick

Big deal

2 Likes

I want to grab you and shake you violently and ask you why it matters at all if a reporter is live or not.

All these live crosses during the news nowadays are just a cheap cynical trick to provide the illusion of immediacy and comprehensive coverage. Obviously it tested well with some focus group and they ran with it. In 95% of live crosses, the story the reporter is talking about finished ‘being broken’ hours ago. There is no new information.

What really matters is getting information to the viewer. Is a cross being live or not going to deeply affect the information imparted on the viewer? Probably not. Is it safer and more efficient to record a ‘look live’ than risk stumbling during a live cross? Yes.

1 Like

Seven News Adelaide is having a special bulletin from 12pm today reporting on the storms from last night.

2 Likes

5 Likes

And a one hour special tonight at 6pm:

1 Like

Did the bulletin air nationally or just into SA and for how long?

SA only, for 30 mins at 11.30 ACST.

2 Likes

7 was live in to SA all morning with Seven Early News at 4:30, then Sunrise and The Morning Show. The regular Morning News from Sydney aired at 11 am and then the special local edition straight after to get SA back to normal scheduling.

1 Like

Another local morning 7 News bulletin will air, this time at 8:30 am tomorrow with Jane. No doubt that means the Early News and Sunrise will again be live into SA.

Tonight’s 1 hour 7 News bulletin was a dual presenter format (rather than alternating), with a combined Jane and John presenting super…

There were no headlines, just the title card and straight to John Riddell and Jane Doyle… But lots of live crosses tonight, with 3 in a row at the head of the bulletin and then another live cross following soon after… a total of 4 in the first 10 minutes. I’m impressed! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Someone said it wasn’t deceiving. I merely corrected them. Someone wanted to keep telling me it wasn’t deceiving, even though it’s blindingly obvious that it is. So I merely corrected them again.

Big deal indeed. Some of the Seven fanboys get their panties in a twist however when you state facts.

Could someone please record and upload video of 7’s special bulletin today at 8.30 CST?

1 Like

Um, your the one that said there are too many references to other things being live, therefore ‘regular Joe’ can’t understand what isn’t LIVE.

I think you are caring too much about this topic, and you are in the minority. Time to swallow your pride and move on.

Sorry if it doesn’t suit your narrative, but a reporter nodding along to NOTHING - pretending that they are listening to the presenter at that moment i.e. LIVE - is deceptive.

End of story.

No majority or minority. No sides. No teams.

Just a simple cold hard fact.

Time to swallow your pride, accept the sky is blue, and move on.

Oh and just as an aside, you’re not in a majority - everyone else’s concern is that it is used industry wide, or that they’re sick of me having to correct you over and over and having to read this - you’re the only one that’s actually arguing on the substantive point that such a technique is not deceptive.

how can they remove the black flooring from the evening news that quickly (the early morning news)?