Seven News Content and Appearance (2015-2020)

Oh no. Are you serious? You shouldn’t have said anything. Here come the “Seven News is soo unprofessional comments” from nearly…everyone :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

Mark Ferguson is certainly slowly but surely closing the gap on Peter Overton. Seven is up whilst Nine has had a slight decline over the last few months.

See, Fergo isn’t just a handsome face, he can anchor a news bulletin and get viewers to ‘Make the Switch’

Sydney is making the switch to Seven News…so much so that Nine News Sydney actually won the ratings on two nights during the Olympics last week (the first time that a non-Olympics broadcaster has had ratings wins for the Sydney 6pm news during the Olympics, certainly at least since the inception of the OzTam ratings system) and won most nights this week!

Seven News Sydney are catching up, but it’s far too early to say that Nine News is eventually destined for #2.

Judging by the ratings of most of this week, Mark Ferguson isn’t as popular as Georgie Gardner (who had been filling in on Nine News Sydney all this week, I might add) let alone Peter Overton.

If Michael Usher can close the ratings gap or even get Seven News Sydney beating Nine News Sydney on a regular basis (as opposed to the occasional win or two, but mostly trailing behind Nine) in the ratings when he starts presenting the Friday/Saturday night bulletins in October (I think) and while filling in for Mark Ferguson over Summer, then I would probably expect to see Fergo demoted back to weekends just like he was at Nine.

3 Likes

Don’t forget Hot Seat has weakened against The Chase, which has obviously helped Seven News Sydney ( not enough IMO). The 6.30 figures show that the lead-in to the 6pm News does help and that Nine News Sydney usually gains in the latter half, whilst Seven drops.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:2146, topic:103”]
If Michael Usher can close the ratings gap or even get Seven News Sydney beating Nine News Sydney on a regular basis… then I would probably expect to see Fergo demoted back to weekends just like he was at Nine.
[/quote] But the thing is Peter Overton, Georgie Gardner and Deborah Knight are all better anchors than Mark Ferguson, Melissa Doyle, Michael Usher, Chris Reason and the ratings reflect that.

3 Likes

I know it’s been said before, but Seven really need to do something about their 7pm program if they want to become a consistent #1 rating news service in markets like Sydney. Ever since Nine moved ACA to 7pm, Seven has generally been #3 in the ratings at 7pm here.

The content of Seven News Sydney could also be improved, but we all know that the current management most likely won’t do that.

2 Likes

Seven Early News has updated their backdrop for about the 5th time this year. Today, there is an uncanny resemblance to TENFAF national backdrop so I suspect it will be used on the Morning/Afternoon and Weekend 5pm News as of this week.

2 Likes

Here it is

8 Likes

Is this a bad mock? Please tell me its a mock!

It looks stupid.

11 Likes

live from outer space - this is 7 early news.

looks so odd

why not have something more suitable in colors, mood, tone and design for 5am - lighter / sunrise / fresh / pastels.

this looks like inter galaxy news

9 Likes

Surely it’s not real. Surely.

1 Like

Looks terrible, poorly executed.

1 Like

Morning News coming from Melbourne today, with Jacqueline Felgate presenting

2 Likes

Coming soon to ten, Ten Early News live from Martin Place , a simulcasted 7 Early News bulletin. Finally the real reason for 7’s obsession with new blue graphics! Might be a cheaper option for ten rather than producing their own bulletin and would give 7 a bit of extra change… (Channel ten would just need to edit out the coming up in sunrise plugs) :wink:

1 Like

At least Ten’s globe looks nice. This one looks like shit :frowning:

7 Likes

I agree. Seven’s globe looks like one of those stock “news” images/graphics that you’d find on the internet…

7 Likes

Why don’t they use the large map that they use in there new opener and have the arches rotate around the map of Australia.

4 Likes

I think a more zoomed in globe would of worked better, with the focus on Australia. You can barely see Australia in that backdrop! My question is, judging the fact it’s a still image, does it rotate? :thinking:

I feel it should of looked like the Sponsor title-card background instead:

5 Likes

Yes it does spin.[quote=“JackMelbTV, post:2155, topic:103, full:true”]
Morning News coming from Melbourne today, with Jacqueline Felgate presenting
[/quote]

Would you have any caps? Did they use the new backdrop? The national Afternoon News is.

1 Like

No, they used the previous one

1 Like

It looks odd because it’s in the centre above the presenters head. I personally think a darker background is more suitable for the dark blue graphics

2 Likes