Seven News and Current Affairs

I would like to think by that time “Extra” on QTQ9 (which, IIRC, was 1/2 hour) was well established in the Queensland market.

That helped to feed the masses of viewers into the high-rating Nine News bulletin which remained that way until 2007, with Extra eventually ending in 2009.

3 Likes

Nine’s current news bulletin still has echos of Extra with may of the consumer stories similar to those that used to run at 5.30pm.

4 Likes

and Rick Burnett was a much loved presenter of Brisbane’s Extra (yes at 5.30pm) with a very strong reporting team :slight_smile: It was a very brave experiment of Seven Brisbane to go against Nine with a similar but longer program in the afternoons. Brisbane’s Ten News was rating well too ‘first at five’.

2 Likes

yes I totally agree, for example, the recent ‘seniors’ reports’ by Bruce Paige really have an old ‘Extra’ feel about them.

3 Likes

I also recall Melissa Downes presenting on weekends in 2004 as well, before moving to the main 6:00pm bulletin in 2006 where she first started out on weekends, then was promoted to weeknights in 2009.

2 Likes

Also, all the reports about how to save money or get some service for free are right out of the Extra play book.

2 Likes

“Seven PM” rated rather poorly against Sale of the Century in Brisbane, moved timeslots and was rebadged “PM Magazine”, if I recall correctly 5.30 - despite the lovely and very talented Janne Rayner and Nev Roberts at the helm. This BTQ-7 show had a very cheap (and American) feel about it with HEAVY reliance on Seven’s CNN and NBC satellite news feeds.

Classic Chuck Hobler as the voice-over at the intro - RIP Chuck

I think ATN-7s Press Your Luck with Ian Turpie replaced “PM Magazine” at 5.30 in Brisbane.

RIP Ian

1 Like

Gawd I love the original theme of ATN7’s 11AM - it later was used for Network 10’s “Bellamy”, I think that gritty show was Grundy’s very first production of a police drama.

2 Likes

Here is a full TVW news bulletin from May 27 1990 presented by Yvette Mooney and Jeff Newman.

If this doesn’t embed correctly then jump to 1:48:26 in the video which is where the news starts.

5 Likes

TigerV has uploaded some weekend TVW news bulletins from August 2001.

August 19, 2001 - Second half of the bulletin (sport, fuel watch, weather and closer) presented by Paula Voce and Basil Zempilas

August 26, 2001 - First block of the bulletin presented by Andrea Burns (with Basil in the opener)

(news starts at 2:25)

I miss that opener and set :frowning:

11 Likes

The roll call from the previous era was carried over prior to the relaunch

5 Likes

I love it, wish it was more a thing here!

5 Likes

Everything about the 1999 - 2004 era was well done. Roll call, graphics, theme, Fred Botica’s voiceover, the blue city backdrop and even the desk (not really shown in these videos). It was all so simple and yet it worked so well.

Perth did get the widescreen graphics “upgrade” prior to the 2004 relaunch but the final 4:3-only package was TVW at its best, in my opinion.

5 Likes

That graphics package, which didn’t debut in Adelaide until 2000, were revolutionary.

2 Likes

The TVW set was the best at a time when 7 News lost to National Nine News in the ratings

https://youtu.be/aUgZd8T4c38?feature=shared
An interesting video filmed in October 2001 behind the scenes operation of Seven News Perth

5 Likes

A partial edition of HSV7’s late news bulletin Newsworld. The video is titled as from 1986 but given the “Be There” station ID and a magazine cover pictured at 2:28 I would date it as from 1984.

YouTube: GEORGE WENDY

3 Likes

And the mention of the '84 Olympics in L.A confirms 1984.

2 Likes

Ah, I must have skipped past that :slight_smile:

1 Like

From my understanding HSV7 local late night bulletin was asked in 1987?

1 Like

Yes it was replaced with the Sydney edition of Newsworld with Clive Robertson when Fairfax gutted HSV.

1 Like