Seven News and Current Affairs

Channel 7’s promos for their news/current affair and their sunrise program during the 2000 Olympics

9 Likes

A raspy-voiced David Johnston with his newsbreak for August 12th 2001.
(I’ll post about 8 mins of his actual news broadcast later)

6 Likes

I’m assuming David was filling in for Jennifer Adam’s at this time.

2 Likes

Here’s the first 8 mins of August 12th 2001 Channel 7news, with a raspy-voiced David Johnston.

4 Likes

YouTube: @Zampakid

Is that a young Adam Hills at 3:44 in this video?

6 Likes

Funky-sounding promo from HSV7 in 1977 advertising Seven National News and Willesee At Seven.

Not sure if this was used on-air or was just part of a sales reel to advertisers?

YouTube: Australian Television Archive

2 Likes

Channel 7 sponsor Rottnest Island

3 Likes

Seven Nightly News promo from September 1996:

Today Tonight promo:

4 Likes

Seven News Perth from 2004. Surprised they kept the roll call from the late 90s until the 2004 relaunch

7 Likes

AFL teams were out during a segment on Today Tonight with Leigh Matthews who would coach Brisbane the following year.

2 Likes

Interestingly this backing track was used about 10 years later in the “thanks for watching 7” idents

6 Likes

I recognise that track from this gem which I’m sure would have cost them more than just a few dollars to make:

6 Likes

A fantastic promo using popular journalists from Sky News UK, CNN and NBC

3 Likes

One of Seven’s best and most memorable promos for sure.

1 Like

and Sharyn Ghidella for that matter. Her move to BTQ (along with that of John Schluter’s) saw them overtake their rivals at QTQ for the first time in two decades.

1 Like

I remember hearing in late 2006 early 2007 that Sharyn had indicated that she would like to return to Queensland, however Nine had nothing for her at the time. Bruce Paige and Heather Foord on weeknights and Melissa Downes on weekends.

And then Tracey Challenor decided to take a break from television in Feb 2007 (16 years and counting lol), which worked in Sharyn’s favour.

4 Likes

1997 Prime Newsbreak.
(cant quite date it yet)

4 Likes

News updates from January 2001 and August 2001:

And a Today Tonight promo from January 2001:

3 Likes

Ch7 news promo about the Ch7 helicopter that helped in a rescue

1 Like

Together with Peter Ford, Melissa Downes also presented the very short-lived “Local Edition” at 5pm (one hour long) across Queensland from BTQ7. What an expensive failure that was. She moved to QTQ9 soon after.

4 Likes