Random TV History

A rare gem added to YouTube earlier today, the jingle package from TVQ0, Brisbane, circa 1968:

YouTube: aussiebeachut0

2 Likes

The Sydney Morning Herald has republished a 1978 article about Mike Walsh, whose The Mike Walsh Show dominated daytime TV in much of the country.

1 Like

I came across this channel on YouTube, full of old school GWN and WIN WA content covering some era’s we’ve never seen online before. Well worth a look!

8 Likes

Late 80s/early 90s toddlers…anyone remember this?

When I first heard the real Huey Lewis version, I thought it was a cover of this :smiley:

6 Likes

There’s certain words that I hear at times and it will remind me of this! I definitely remember that one.

I introduced the kids to the Ning Nang Nong a couple of weeks ago too.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Seven News and Current Affairs

100% to both of the last two posts @dxnerd @ando9185

Another kids show that I completely forgot about was ‘The Ratties’, which was first aired in 1987/88 but was repeated in 1994 (according to the TV guides posted here).

This was narrated by the one and only Spike Milligan and written by his daughter Laura. The theme is as whimsical and wacky as you’d imagine:

The Ratties - Intro / Outro Theme Music - YouTube

1 Like

I discovered the channel recently… love the old-school regional WA ads

2 Likes

GWN circa 1984. Back when it was South West, Great Southern and parts of the Wheatbelt only.

Vintage Video on Youtube.

5 Likes

Far superior on screen presentation than VEW8 and GTW11.

1 Like

You cruel man! that song still haunts me 35+ years after hearing it for the first time

4 Likes

Haha! My work here is done!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be hard. VEW and GTW would’ve been run off the smell of an oily rag.

1 Like

On the Ning Nang Nong, where the cows go BONG!

3 Likes

Full program guide for WA that day: Sunday 29 July 1984 — WESTERN AUSTRALIA – Television.AU

3 Likes

Just been watching a few NRL Grand Final replays on the NRL website recently and have noticed that before 2012 or thereabouts, Nine has farewelled its Melbourne viewers either before the trophy presentation or the lap of honour that immediately follows it.

I can remember the furore when Nine cut off its Melbourne viewers almost immediately after the final siren in 2009 to go to the news and GTV received a flood of complaints saying they couldn’t see their team on the dais (this title was later stripped from them due to salary cap breaches).

At times GTV viewers also only join in on the NRL Grand Final telecast just before kick-off, too.

Would anyone know why GTV’s telecasts of the Grand Finals all those years ago were altered - could it have been ratings concerns, other commitments apart from the news, etc?

I don’t think this was ever an issue in Sydney when TEN and ATN televised the AFL Grand Finals in the same period, even if they didn’t rate well until 2005 when the Sydney Swans appeared in, and won, that year’s decider.

2 Likes

Pretty much just both of those. I can’t see any other reason.

2 Likes

I remember that too.

And to make matters worse, the lead story on the news that night: Brendan Fevola!

3 Likes

Yep I also remember the furore surrounding his imminent trade to the Brisbane Lions too. Not many Carlton members or fans were happy about it.

1 Like