Seven Network 2022

35th? I’m pretty sure 2012 would’ve been the 25th season.

At least “Local Council” is something different from Fat Pizza & Housos. That said, I’d probably still expect low brow humour on that show even though it has the potential to be something different for a change, ala Swift & Shift Couriers.

1 Like

I’d love it if 1988 was only 25 years ago.

Home & Away does gain a lot more viewers than what they get overnight, making it a clear leader in Australian drama and against its rivals at 7pm. As news programs they don’t add many viewers.

Also H&A is sold around the world so is a money maker.

I don’t think 7 should consider moving home and away yet. A show in the top 6 each night. Averaging over 1.1 million national viewers. It’s a huge hit for 7.

1 Like

Nine are hoping Seven never move Home and Away. It gives Nine an advantage every night when Seven drops after the news and need to grab viewers back after it’s over.

1 Like

What 7 drop they often gain back in 7 day figures and online viewing. If they invested so much in this new reporting all that must mean something to 7. So I’m not sure if they are too bothered ACA wins in overnights.

1 Like

Sorry SydneyCityTV and Andrew, I got my maths wrong.

Home and Away is an interesting case study.

On one hand, it has similar demos to the 7:30pm shows, sells overseas, is a point of difference to rival shows in the timeslot, and is good for Australian Drama in general.

But on the other hand, the show’s ratings have been average at best, often coming third to ACA & ABC News as you mention.

Question is, if it was to be axed from the 7pm slot and moved to 7TWO, what would people like to see replace it? Today Tonight reboot? Credible journalism/current affairs program? A brand new 30min drama? Extend Seven News to 90 mins? Bring forward the reality shows to 7pm? Or something else altogether? Would love to hear suggestions.

1 Like

In the reasonably unlikely chance that Seven ever bumps H&A from the main channel, I think it’d be a good idea to start the reality shows at 7pm as a strong point of difference to ACA, ABC News + the second halves of The Project and SBS World News.

3 Likes

I would like either a Today Tonight reboot, or start reality shows at 7pm like Nine and 10 did a decade ago.

3 Likes

Out of the lineup for 2022, the shows I’ll watch is DWTS and The Voice (probably because I have a bit of a passion for shiny floor talent shows) and maybe Australia’s Got Talent (depending on the judging panel and format). I’ll have The Chase on in the background and maybe check out some of their new factuals.

And that’s about it I reckon.

I can understand all the criticisms people have over what was announced and I generally agree with most of what has been said.

If i’m being totally honest though, in terms of what appeals to me personally, there’s actually a lot that I will be watching on Seven next year; “The Voice”, “SAS : Australia”, “Farmer Wants a Wife”, “Better Homes & Gardens”, and “Australia’s Got Talent”. “A Year on Earth” looks like it might be good too, and I will probably give “The Voice : Generations” a go. They’ve won me over. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ll be watching Home and Away, Big Brother, Big Brother VIP, AGT, Australian Idol, AFL, AFLW, The Ashes, BBL, WBBL, Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games, 7 News, Sunrise and elements of SAS: Australia, The Voice

I am looking forward to the 2022 AFL Grand Final, Birmingham 2022 and 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games and Paralympic Winter Games

I’m assuming Seven Studios is now back in business again for the Network after being completely gutted?

Nope. MKR is going to be produced externally.

So after years of taking formats and milking them over three months they now seem to be doing the opposite and rushing through shows over 3-4 weeks, meaning as soon as one starts their focus turns to promoting the next.

Surely their must be a happy medium.

Returning two shows axed in 2020 when they’ve got a fairly full slate of returning shows for 2022 seems pretty pointless too. Even with Holey Moley and Ultimate Tag gone they’ve got enough to fill the year - and surely cheaper overall rather than stripping everything to barebones and having to find a couple more shows to fill the gap to just get a week or two more out of the formats they do have instead.

1 Like

They will probably show the Boxing Day meeting on the 26th

2 Likes

No. TVTonight says MKR will now be produced externally

1 Like

That’s the case with Nine and 10 too. I repeat what I said yesterday:

I get this forum has an anti-Seven bias (the hysterical reaction to yesterday’s upfront by many is another example of that). However, let’s not pretend reality doesn’t exist and that Nine & 10 are guilty of over relying on reality tentpoles too.

5 Likes