Seven Network 2022

It’s a mix of a lot of things but most post interviews from agencies you’ll see they will talk about how the presentation looked and if the story and branding came across well. Doesn’t mean they won’t spend, but corporate image is important.

1 Like

They could claim they have horse racing on for 52 Saturdays in 2022 and it would be true, 2022 has 53!

4 Likes

Very interesting comment from Dan Bennett…

Outside of all of this, I’m very interested to see who they pick for this Big Brother 21st anniversary series from the old housemates. Interested to see if they used ones from the Ten era as a pure promotional grab or if they will legitimately include them. Would be the first time Seven have even acknowledged the past series with them originally claiming their version was “Season 1”

4 Likes

I agree that the storyline mix in RFDS was not right. It was still a great show and I was hoping it was something they would get to fix with a second season. IMHO to say that the demographics are too old and use that as an excuse to axe is pretty poor.

What has happened to feel good drama, it seems next year will just be more dark crime stuff.

Oh well. More reason to watch more ABC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah ‘progressive and inclusive’.

If I say mercury isn’t deadly it’ll probably be more truthful than Seven’s spin.

But neither does Nine or 10. Theirs is the same old same old as well. Nine’s lineup is full of renovating lifestyle shows, true crime factuals and dating crap. I wouldn’t call theirs innovative. Hopefully 10 will come up with better programs but I wouldn’t count on them.

I’ve got a bigger problem with the BS and spin that Seven churns out on an annual basis regarding their position on dramas and streaming. Their management is still stuck in the Stone Age and they’re living in caves.

Helps when you don’t have someone odd like Craig McPherson helming the operation. Clearly his views are infiltrating the network’s news output and it’s becoming increasingly obvious.

Still better than Sky ‘News’ but then again anything is better.

1 Like

I reckon that comment might be credible. Haven’t there been stories in recent years which suggest Seven’s behind the scenes culture may not exactly match the “family friendly” image their TV network has traditionally been presented as to the public?

1 Like

A rubbish line up from a rubbish network. There’s nothing there apart from the odd sport.

A derivative and boring line up that will continue to contribute the decline of Australian free to air tv.

As for their right wing news output… how it even rates is beyond me. Their news bulletins are unwatchable. ABC and nine are much better in terms of the output and quality of the scripting.

2 Likes

There’s clearly some bad blood there, his tweets are not impartial reading. He has a point about drama - 7 used to be the home of Australian drama. So it’s a pretty sad state of affairs when your headline is a 4-part series at best.

The rest I’d read with a grain of salt.

‘The odd sport’ is what allows them to win half the year, often Thursday - Saturday by significant margins.

I wouldn’t describe it as ‘the odd sport’. They have ‘the sport’.

But he does have a point on inclusive and progressive. Seven seems to have a problem with being either of them over the years. The fact of the matter is having the likes of Latham and Kennett on Sunrise until this year, Pauline Hanson until 2 years ago, airing some stupid report interviewing a neo-Nazi, and that moron who wrote that racist headline regarding soccer players speak volumes. None of those things are inclusive nor progressive.

Also the fact that most of their shows are white bread casting doesn’t help. How many times have we seen characters from different ethnic backgrounds on Home and Away recently? Any from RFDS? How about any from DWTS this year? Btw having a ‘token’ representative from a different cultural background doesn’t count.

It’s pretty clear that management seems to have a bias against ethnic communities outside of white/Caucasian background and it shows in many ways. Why is it that everyone (or nearly everyone) on their realities and dramas have to be Caucasian? Why do they think having a ‘token’ person that is not Caucasian I’m sure there’s plenty of people from different backgrounds who are very talented yet they get overlooked.

He makes a good point. Seven needs to do better in that regard. How? If management have right wing/conservative views and slimy fingers over the output then they must be given marching orders. I’d start with McPherson and Pell.

1 Like

You just made all very valid points about Seven’s drama and reality casting and then said you’d start with McPherson and Pell?

I’d like this post twice if I could.

Jason Morrison comes third. A former talkback radio presenter (you can’t seriously tell me his views aren’t an influence on some content decisions?) should NOT be the director of a Sydney 6pm TV news bulletin!

3 Likes

McPherson and Pell have played a big role in letting their once dominant news service beginning to falter to Nine on the East Coast. It’s got a lot to do with the right wing skew of the bulletins over there IMO and it should be addressed first. News is Seven’s bread and butter and if that’s not working then their whole schedule drops.

Then they need to get rid of anyone in their management that is conservative/resistant to change. Not naming anyone else specifically but they need a broom to sweep through them.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, but half the population is conservative? I don’t know why you’d get rid of anyone who is conservative…

Clearly if you are extremely right wing your source for news is not going to be 7, it’ll be Sky. Confusing the two is not helpful.

Things have tightened at breakfast, but 7 remains in front; and they are quite competitive with 9 at 6pm in Sydney and Melbourne. The gap is not widening to any significant extent, 7 News is still number 1 almost daily.

Once Hitch goes in Melbourne Mitch will be the most experienced and recognisable person at 6pm by a long shot.

And in previous years in Sydney Mark Ferguson would have been on the chopping block, but now you wouldn’t risk replacing him given the ratings.

1 Like

…because non-Fergo newsreaders have left/are being undermined.

First it was Chris Bath, then Melissa Doyle. Now we’re seeing Michael Usher (who should be the main competitor for Peter Overton - no question about it) paired with Angela Cox!

Chris Bath is long gone, as great as she is. And Mel has not been on 6pm news for a long time either.

And Musher was never hired to be the weekday newsreader… he’s usually presenting any breaking news nationally, he gets election coverage, royal weddings and he gets any story of significance on 7News Spotlight/Investigates. He’s probably quite content.

1 Like

Looking forward to Birmingham 2022.

2 Likes

I think Seven’s 2022 line-up is far too heavy on reality shows (how many talent shows do we really need on a single network?) and live sport. Although I love My Kitchen Rules and House Rules, they were axed for a reason. Seven needs to commission more locally made dramas and comedies of short span (less than 10 episodes) especially for the 8.30pm/9pm timeslot.

2022 also marks the 35th year Home and Away is on air, and it will be pivotal year for the soap. Its ratings have been stuck in the 550,000-650,000 range (metro viewers) and often come third in the timeslot. If its ratings don’t improve, Seven should consider biting the bullet and send H&A to 7TWO (but not before upgrading it to a HD channel).

So Seven has commissioned some other scripted productions but on 7mate. A shame they are just more of the same stuff we’ve seen before and mostly low brow.

Housos: The Thong Warrior : From the suburbs to the outback, the cast of Housos are back in a brand-new comedy. Franky is on a mission to stalk and thong slap all forms of authority, with Shazza in hot pursuit (Antichocko Productions).

Local Council : The new comedy from Pauly Fenech of Housos, Fat Pizza and Bogan Hunters fame is set in a dodgy council, with dodgy council workers, a dodgy mayor, dodgy developers and dodgy council officials (Antichocko Productions).

Watch Dogs : A new comedy about two dysfunctional security officers trying to catch a serial offender who is attacking the locals in a beachside suburb (Oldboy Productions)

2 Likes

Yeah but they get a lot of their ratings on 7+