Seven Network 2021

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/seven-risks-killing-viewers-with-kruger/news-story/033ce0ec47575cd0e317e6bcc329cb13

Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne says that Seven risks killing off viewers with Sonia Kruger appearing on multiple programs. Full article behind a paywall.

4 Likes

It’s not just Kruger seven uses to kill viewers. The list is endless.

2 Likes

Just read the unlocked article, Fiona doesn’t really reveal anything we don’t already know.

“Seven would seem to be playing a dangerous game of over exposure with the glamorous host rolling her out to front up to six prime time shows this year”.

Also mentions Olympics that were rescheduled and she was announced to return to. As well as question marks around AGT with coronavirus and international guests.

Article ends on “time and ratings will tell”.

2 Likes

Is it just a case of Seven getting their money’s worth by having Sonia in every show because they paid so much to lure her from Nine?

Still wondering why she replaced Olympia Valance on Holey Moley. Did Olympia struggle with the hosting role or did the rescheduling prevent her from doing it? Or was it a cost saving move to use Sonia instead?

I thought it was due to the border restrictions.

With Seven promoting both Big Brother and Dancing with the Stars at the moment, what’s not to say that they’ll both go to air at the same time, on different days of the week, after Easter?

For example:
Sunday - Big Brother
Monday - Big Brother
Tuesday - Dancing with the Stars
Wednesday - Dancing with the Stars
Thursday - Dancing with the Stars

When DWTS finishes after its 2-3 week run, Big Brother could begin to air a third episode each week (dependent on ratings), as opposed to only two episodes in my schedule above.

(Note: Thursday Night AFL supposed to air on the main channel in Melbourne and Adelaide would move to 7mate, with the reality genre being given precedence.)

2 Likes

I think we’ll likely see Dancing With The Stars run from Sunday-Wednesday for two or three weeks, with Big Brother probably beginning around the start of May.

2 Likes

And for its “2 week event” I think DWTS will start on a Sunday and finish on a Sunday 2 weeks later.

1 Like

I think DWTS will start on Easter Monday (April 5) and finish on Sunday April 18, followed by the premiere of Big Brother on April 19.

5 Likes

Just saw a Dancing With The Stars promo, the endboard said “After Easter”. I bet it’s gonna start Easter Monday.

2 Likes

With the Tokyo Olympics closing ceremony taking place on Sunday 08th August, I think that Monday 09th August would be the perfect date for Seven to have a well-needed “relaunch” of sorts, after a disappointing first couple of months this year with Holey Moley and Ultimate Tag not doing as well as hoped.

What I would propose would be the following as of August 9:

• Larry Emdur episodes of The Chase Australia begin to go to air, coinciding with the program receiving new graphics and minor tweaks to the set
  • A new 7pm current affairs show begins on Seven, and to draw viewers away from A Current Affair, each market would receive their own local version. Home and Away moves to a 3:30pm slot, with The Chase UK moving to 2:30pm, and the Midday Movie moving to 12:30pm, meaning Seven Morning News is extended to one hour (11:30am-12:30pm).
  • Debut of two new reality shows, one airing on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays, and the other on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Suggestions for the show include SAS Australia, VIP Big Brother, Farmer Wants a Wife and Australia’s Got Talent (if that’s still even going ahead?).
  • Seven commission an Australian version of Saturday Night Live, hosted by Sam Mac, to air Saturday nights immediately after Seven News. In the event of Saturday Night Football on Seven, SNL would air after the footy, at around 10:15pm/10:30pm.
  • The Morning Show is axed (I think the show is slowly starting to run out of steam, to be honest) to make way for Sunrise Plus, with Edwina Bartholomew and Joe Hildebrand. The show has a more newsy focus, and there will be no advertorials and minimal entertainment/celebrity news. Larry focuses on The Chase, and Kylie is redeployed to the sports department at Seven News.

I don’t think Seven would be gutsy enough to try this one, especially after what happened to Saturday Night Rove (granted it was on 10 but still).

Whilst Today Extra has been winning a few days here and there I don’t think axing The Morning Show is the way to go. That just gives Today Extra a free kick and wouldn’t work. The Morning Show is still winning most of the times and it’s the advertorials that is making Seven money so they won’t let go of that. Though the show could do a bit more than just plugging a gap between the informercials.

This I can agree with. Some elements of the show can be refined to align more closely to the UK version.

I can agree with this one too. I’d also suggest they look at getting a new format or two onboard, such as Hunted or Come Dine with Me would fill those spots perfectly. They could even work with Netflix and commission a local version of The Circle.

I like this idea but it’s a bit problematic. As much as that show isn’t rating Home and Away still has a pretty big fan base and moving the show to the afternoon slot might cause quite a bit of outrage. Moving it to 7TWO at 7pm would be a better solution but the best way is too make the show two nights a week at one hour each, preferably at 8.30pm. I’d like to see Seven do something like The One Show on the BBC and make it something that is focused on consumer affairs (Helen Wellings) but more edgy in delivery like The Project and less trashy than ACA. Any ideas of Today Tonight making a return should be binned.

3 Likes

I think it’s a completely stupid idea for Seven to get rid of The Morning Show while it’s still doing as well as it is in the ratings.

As far as 7pm is concerned, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Seven should just run their flagship tentpole programs right out of the news. The market for news/current affairs at 7pm is already quite crowded as it is with ACA, The Project, ABC News and the 2nd half of SBS World News on the other main channels during that timeslot!

Of course another major problem that needs to be addressed is their 6pm news, especially on the East Coast. I’m not expecting much in the way of change after last year’s branding refresh, but I reckon they need to look at bringing in some new presenters and moving some of the current ones on. From a Sydney perspective, move on from Fergo & McLaughlin (who haven’t been able to sustain #1 ratings for any extended period of time over the last half a decade) and perhaps try to poach some of Nine’s underutilised talent like Deborah Knight & Sophie Walsh.

As for the idea of Saturday Night Live Australia, forget it. Live variety television in this country is dead and never coming back.

That would only work if Seven can be half-arsed to program some post 8.30 programs other than just fillers and US drama. They need that depth in the schedule which Nine and to a lesser extent 10 have instead of bloating out their realities to 90 minutes because they’re too lazy.

Also The Latest could do with an earlier slot.

2 Likes

I would argue all three commercial networks don’t have depth in their schedules - they all overly rely on 90 minute strip reality tentpole formats such that they’re exposed if those shows struggle in the ratings (as we’re seeing happen with Seven time-after-time and show-after-show this year)

4 Likes

The Variety TV genre is dead in Australia for good. Saturday Night Rove the last attempt lasted only a few weeks on 10.

1 Like

I wonder when Seven will be airing this program?

Admittedly I had never heard of it until I was browsing around TV Tonight this afternoon.

Big call Angus. Big call.

2 Likes

I think Angus might be right about Seven finishing No. 1

Seven still have the Olympics, The Voice, SAS and Big Brother VIP which should all deliver strong total people numbers and the Olympics in particular will boost network shares.

Whereas Nine only have The Block left (I believe?) as a guaranteed big hit.

1 Like