Seven Network 2020

Shows I am looking more forward to than all of Seven 2020:

So, I have several questions.

5 Likes

It will take too long to answer all of them. And you may need therapy when you hear the answers.

2 Likes

Scenario 1:
NRL + ARG Motorsport (main game TCR with support races S500/TCM/Porsche GT3 and TA2 V8’s) … would be more then enough programming hours for both TEN HD and 10 BOLD.

Scenario 2:
limited access to sports which are fading fast …

I think they want Scenario 1 which is why they are gunning for NRL rights.

1 Like

fire away, I hear that James is a reader and poster here here :slight_smile:

1 Like

mubd on Mediaspy had the first story about Gary Mehigan popping up at Seven.

9 Likes

You really should purchase a yearly subscription and save some cash!

The big question is whether the audience will respond to that. Seven went ‘all in’ with Secret Bridesmaid Business (big promo push, limited ads, etc) and it performed shockingly. They would hope that their dramas next year (which sound good on paper) don’t suffer a similar fate

Sure but Nine and 10 both have some sort of a ‘core’ foundation of shows which have performed well for them. Seven doesn’t have that - MKR just hanged in there against MAFS, House Rules performed disappointingly despite MasterChef’s ratings woes and their 2nd half line ups for the past few years have been an utter trainwreck.

As such, they’ve needed to take a lot of risks across the board not just to breathe ‘new life’ (though whether that’ll happen remains to be seen) to their ‘legacy’ shows but so that their year doesn’t just fall apart after House Rules (or in the case of next year, after the Olympics & Paralympics)

I initially had the same thought but then three things came to mind:

1. They’re probably leaving that free for their AFL commitments (think like during the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, AFL will air exclusively on 7mate);
  2. They want to push people towards the 7plus HD offering; and
  3. Between it and 7flix, Seven will be able to offer alternative programming for those who aren’t watching the Olympics

Perhaps there’s nothing to announce at this time?

3 Likes

I hear they are going to do Bathurst 12 hr as no other FTA is interested, will be great on 7mate HD.

I don’t know why it was not mentioned at this event though.

1 Like

that would be a disaster if there is only two channels of olympics… what about people who prefer watching on tv because online streams buffer?

Not all of their programming is mentioned. A daytime event with minimal interest probably doesn’t deserve a specific mention, if they have it.

1 Like

No mention of this juggernaut? :joy:
20191023_204857

In all seriousness, I did wonder when the ‘ex-MasterChef rivals’ going to Seven rumours surfaced if it may have been a new show(s) which could’ve either been exclusive to 7food Network (to help attract viewers) or tie-in/encores from main channel new show(s). It could still be the latter.

4 Likes

Or neither.

2 Likes

Three thoughts:

1. The thing that stands out to me about Seven’s upfront is the lack of detail (eg; the vague descriptions about Plate of Origin & Big Brother, nothing about 7flix’s relaunch, etc). As such, it’s hard to get a sense tonight (based on what we know/don’t know) as to whether the decisions they’ve made will help turn the tide for them. Guess only time will tell…
  2. Surprised there’s been no discussion about this about curious about what people think about the network’s shift to appealing towards 25 - 54s? Think it’s the logical move for a network which has had a ‘total viewers’ focus + it’s a demographic which Nine and 10 aren’t targetting so it’s a gap in the market waiting to be filled.
  3. Glad that aside from Farmer Wants a Wife, Seven’s upfront wasn’t dominated by relationship/dating programs that were doomed to fail (like it has been over the last few years)
1 Like

The rumoured TT revival on the East Coast isn’t happening with no mention of Current Affairs during upfronts. The last SN will air on November 24 with the only current affairs show remaining on the network is the Adelaide and Perth editions of TT.

We had discussions about TT at 7pm and H&A on 7Two on MS for a few months.

6 Likes

lol, sorry I just had to do that …

Where will Seven find bandwidth for 7 mate HD? they will need to find at least 3.5Mbits extra if they plan on doing 1920x1080i MPEG4/AVC

Unless its 1440x1080i …

5 Likes

Wife Swap?
Two reboots doomed to fail.

And First Dates is also returning.

3 Likes

Not sure why you would think Nine in particular are not targeting 25-54 year olds as that has repeatedly been their main focus.

From their 2020 upfronts

It is this reliable slate of family-friendly programming that will see Nine crowned Australia’s No. 1 network for 2019 with the demographics most highly sought after.

• Nine’s commercial share of the coveted 25-54 demographic currently sits at 39.3% – a year-on-year increase of 3.7 share points.

2 Likes

There are also two comedies on 7mate: Fat Pizza, Regular Old Bogan

1 Like

Also announced at the upfronts, a new buying platform and a new partnership with Carsguide, now owned by Cox Automotive Australia.

4 Likes

The “biggest coup of the year” according to themselves :slight_smile:

1 Like