Seven Network 2018

The 2018 programing lineups for both Seven and Nine quite underwhelming (to say the very least!), if you ask me.

Hopefully Ten will offer viewers something a bit more exciting for next year, but I won’t be holding my breath…

2 Likes

Except for sport

Why aren’t any networks brave enough to commission new content. Instead all three serves up the same shit every year. Wash, rinse, dry, repeat.

1 Like

I am semi-interested in Rich House, but it seems very Big Adventure (which as a Survivor fan, I wanted to like but I couldn’t because it was quite bad in almost every respect).

It seems like that Rich House is just the 7-ised version of Big Brother. Like TBA they picked a popular format and add some stupid twist to the show which -in addition to the fact that the contestants are “true-blue Aussies who need the prize money” - is overemphasised in the show. (TBA - Base Format: Survivor, Stupid Twist - Treasure Chests. Rich House - Base Format: Big Brother, Stupid Twist: The Housemates live a millionaire lifestyle).

Other than TRH, nothing here is intresting to me or seams flashy and new. It is mostly just the same old vanilla programming from the network. Seven may have wanted to #changethegame but at best they #slightlyajustedtherulesofthegame

1 Like

If there was a hate button, I would hit it 1 million times for this comment. There is no call for such a comment @cmo. Take your hate someplace else please!!

Why does there have to be a ‘big reality’ offering? There is already enough reality shows in existence and Australian TV should be trying to steer away from this sort of format at least a little bit in the future and try and use other sorts of formats like I see Seven are trying for in 2018.

Mitchell, please! Give it a rest. We get it, you love Seven, however, just like you, everyone else is entitled to their own opinion as well.

11 Likes

To be honest, the 2nd half doesn’t look better at all. Yes, House Rules might stretch into August due to the Commonwealth Games likely delaying when it starts. However, when that’s done - there’s no reality ‘tentpole’ to anchor their Q4 schedule (like you said). As much as I don’t like the notion of there needing to be such a thing, The Block and The Bachelor/Bachelorette compared to Seven’s mis-mash of shows have demonstrated the importance of having a big reality ‘tentpole’ to finish the year with.

Unless the “more announcements to come” line in the upfront press release have to do with 2nd half programs, Seven are going to face the exact same ratings issues next year as they have this year. That is a problem when Tim Worner said today that not only Seven came up short in the 2nd half but they apparently will address said issue in 2018…

3 Likes

Because Seven not having one^ in the 2nd half of the year saw their schedule (aside from Little Big Shots and likely the RLWC) fail spectularly…

^ And no, I don’t consider a badly executed version of Hell’s Kitchen to be a reality ‘tentpole’

I can’t speak for @LukeMovieMan but I was also surprised that 7 don’t have a flagship 7:30 reality franchise for the later part of the year.

7 didn’t have the strongest second half and that is where they didn’t have a 7:30 striped format, instead relying on their fill-in shows - First Dates and their Doco Series (Border Security, ect) and shorter series for the second half of the year. There may be successes in those shorter run shows (Spoiled Snot-Nosed Bra… I mean Little Big Shots) but those short run shows are hit or miss and even if they work, they are only on one night a week. I feel that 7 need that sustained audience that a good striped format can provide.

1 Like

It’ll also depend how The Block & The Bachelorette perform next year.

Both have wildly fluctuated in recent years.

:roll_eyes:

Sorry I don’t have a permanent hard on for seven.

Honestly you need to take the rose colored glasses off mate. Get some variety in your viewing.

7 Likes

Yeah, we know you reserve that for Ten as all good Ten fanboys do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Jeez, you’re as bad as each other and hilarious how you’re both oblivious to it. :laughing:

4 Likes

On paper the 2018 line-up looks better than this year’s, which relied on two big reality shows (MKR and House Rules) and several crime-related programs (Murder Uncovered, Blue Murder: Killer Cop, Million Dollar Cold Case etc.). Having more variety of programs means Seven will not have to rely on Dogs/Cats/Dads Make You LOL to fill the Thursday programming gap.
The problem is Seven’s dominance over the past decade led to complacency. Nine’s success on-air and online this year stunned Seven and the latter is now playing catch up. Having House Rules in Q3 will temporarily prevent the network from another ratings slump but Seven needs a better solution.

2 Likes

It’s a bit rich you complaining about bias considering you’re just as bad in regards to your hatred of Seven…

3 Likes

No 3rd series of Secret Daughter in 2018?

I largely agree with @Jeffmister’s earlier post. Having House Rules stretching into the 3rd quarter is good and might even do some damage to The Block, but Seven haven’t really had a strong “tentpole” to anchor the final months of the year for a while now.

This hasn’t always been the case though. Remember how well programs like Dancing With The Stars and The X Factor performed during September/October/November back in the day? Of course that’s not to say I think Seven should revive those formats (they’ve well and truly had their day IMO), but it is proof that people will watch TV in the later months of the year if mass appealing programing is scheduled.

Even the longterm future of Seven’s programing earlier in the year probably should be put into question, because MKR showed signs of decline this year.

3 Likes

Seven will wait for the ratings of season 2 before deciding on the show’s future.

2 Likes

Will this show return during this year? I think that 7 have a chunk load of shows to be played during the rest of the year.

1 Like

Hopefully next year Seven will realise that they need to run competitive programming every. single. week. and stop leaving gaps all over the schedule.

Better to have the occasional bad share when Nine/Ten play their trump cards than to constantly fall in a heap because even your most loyal fans are forced to go elsewhere for anything remotely worth watching.

2 Likes