Seven HD

Exactly - they’ve got 4-5 months to promote a change for the next AFL season of switching 7Mate to HD only in all markets (as it was anyway) and advising on how to continue receiving it if you don’t have MPEG4. 7 can switch to HD in the meantime and remain in HD, then 7mate switch of it’s SD channel and begin broadcasting in HD in March. That then opens the door for them to at least make the change with 7Two not too long after.

Only if they use ridiculously low bitrates – e.g. 1 Mbps per SD station (a blocky mess) and about 3.5 Mbps per HD station (would look reasonable). Each broadcaster has 23 Mbps; with the figures I gave, that would add up to 22.5 Mbps.

I guess the horrible image quality on the SD stations would encourage HD uptake.

I’ll probably watch some of it in January next year.

1 Like

If you don’t have a ratings box Channel 7 won’t care and you miss out on seeing an event that in the past you had enough interest to watch?

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:837, topic:895”]
If you don’t have a ratings box Channel 7 won’t care and you miss out on seeing an event that in the past you had enough interest to watch?
[/quote]Like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

2 Likes

Just read an ABC news release stating that their main ABC TV channel is to broadcast in HD in December. Looks like they have beat Seven.

That was already announced at the ABC Upfronts last week.

Have they announced a start date yet?

From TV Tonight:

ABC will finally switch its primary channel to HD in December, with a full schedule in HD by December 31st.

The EPG for 7HD Adelaide is a bit mixed up: it’s listing content for 7mate while it’s actually simulcasting Seven. Hopefully this is not some kind of dark omen…

Is anyone in Melbourne receiving a similar problem?

7HD is back in Sydney, simulcasting the prime channel. Hope it’s permanent this time :wink: From Wikipedia: On 16 December 2016, 7HD switched from simulcasting 7mate to simulcasing Seven’s primary channel in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth for the Australian Open Tennis, while 7mate was reduced to an SD channel on Channel 73 in those markets. It will revert back to being an simulcast of 7mate in those markets by the start of the 2017 AFL season

Reverting back to 7Mate HD is just so stupid…come on!

1 Like

I guess we’ll find out on Monday with the 7 day epg if 7 goes back to sd for Perth ,Sydney ,Brisbane
Let’s hope they forget :grinning::grinning: to switch it back

1 Like

I thought 7HD was remaining until end of January.

Will regional Qld ever get HD on the main channel or Prime? Or as long as we have AFL with the Seven Network then nope?

Why do you always keep asking these questions over and over?
If someone here knew anything about HD for QLD or Prime it would already have been posted!

3 Likes

Seven have been advertising the new AFLW competition which starts on February 3 as airing live and in HD nationally (except some parts of Qld).

This pretty much confirms that 7mate will go back to being the HD channel in Perth, Sydney and Brisbane once the tennis finishes.

Well the tennis finishes on Sunday epg has 7hd still on Tuesday Jan 31!!

It’s unbelievable. Somebody stop this madness.

2 Likes