Seven HD

Well, the only logical conclusion one can draw is that Melbourne and Adelaide are the only metro markets where ALL AFL games are aired on the main channel, and they are also the only ones to get HD.

The only other theory I can come up with it is that, perhaps Melbourne and Adelaide are “trial” markets for HD and that Seven plans to launch HD nationally in 2017 (given the year also ends in the number 7, Seven may look to make a big promo push out of 2017, Seven and HD).

And SURELY Seven will (at the very least) switch 7 over to HD for the Australian Open, like they did for the Olympics and AFL Grand Final, since its a major sporting event?

3 Likes

No, quite the opposite. An email was posted which basically confirmed that while the AFL is active in lobbying Seven, their influence has limits.

It can’t be a trial of 7 HD because if that is what Seven wanted to do, they had 2 weeks of Olympics to do that plus Sydney, Brisbane and Perth got the MPEG4 7HD channel it just has different programming.

It is obviously AFL related. The only difference of opinion is extent of the influence of the AFL over Seven. We have seen nothing that says there is any contractual requirement for the current setup as had been originally suggested.

The problem in switching the HD feed to Seven would be that when they change them back early next year, there would be complaints from whingers, particularly in Syd/Bri. Better just to keep as is and no complaints.

Admittedly, I think they should keep the HD feed on Seven in Perth, particularly seeing most of the major games aired on Seven. Was it just Friday Night AFL on 7mate in Perth?

The only other theory I can think of for the reasoning behind the Seven/7mate split of a HD simulcast (aside from those already discussed of course) is because they’re waiting for the regional stations (including Seven Queensland which they actually own and operate) to be able to run a HD MPEG4 channel.

Personally, I think that Seven should just run a HD simulcast of the main channel in all markets. Although I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t bother for the foreseeable future, even after the ABC finally takes the plunge.

2 Likes

It would be great to see 7 pinch a few M/bits from Racing,com, 7SD and others to squeeze in enough room for another HD channel, to allow both 7 and 7mate to be in HD. Then we could ALL live happily ever after :blush:

3 Likes

That would mean a switch to MPEG 4 for 7Mate and based on the 7Flix experiment, a significant rating reduction.

1 Like

As I’ve said before, I think that Seven should at the very least change the LCN name to “7mateHD Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast/Perth” if this is to be a permanent thing. It’s rather annoying to have a channel in the EPG that’s “7HD Sydney” when it actually broadcasts (mostly) 7mate programming! :confused:

I agree. 7Flix was actually promoted as being “Now available on more TVs!” when they switched/reverted to MPEG2 after the demise of 4ME.

Also if Seven were really trialling a HD simulcast the main channel in two markets as a precursor to a nationwide rollout, I think we’d be more likely to see Perth or the Gold Coast picked as a “trial market” rather than Melbourne.

2 Likes

Well, I was clutching at straws trying to come up with a possible reason for the 7HD shemozzle that WASN’T AFL related, as like Kick-It said, no official reason has been ever given by 7 for this HD mystery.

1 Like

Simple Solution. Run it like this…

7, 71 - 7 - SD - MPEG2
70 - 7 - HD - MPEG4
72 - 7TWO - HD - MPEG4
73 - 7mate - HD - MPEG4
76 - 7flix - HD - MPEG4
78 - Racing.com - SD - MPEG4

Screw anyone who has an older TV and refuses to upgrade. If all the networks did this, then the oldies who refuse, still get their classic station available to them, but those who either have modern TVs or STBs and want to upgrade will access the full suite.

12 Likes

Seven effectively gave a promise that the AFL would be in HD from 2017.

[quote]Seven West Media chairman Kerry Stokes said the channel would be working during this summer to work out a way to start broadcasting on AFL in high definition on Channel Seven from the start of the next rights cycle.

[/quote]

1 Like

The viewers wouldn’t be the only ones screwed with this arrangement. Seven’s ratings for its multi-channels would essentially halve overnight.

1 Like

:laughing: Like that’s going to matter to anyone or anything.

[quote=“AlanCramer, post:822, topic:895, full:true”]
Simple Solution. Run it like this…

7, 71 - 7 - SD - MPEG2
70 - 7 - HD - MPEG4
72 - 7TWO - HD - MPEG4
73 - 7mate - HD - MPEG4
76 - 7flix - HD - MPEG4
78 - Racing.com - SD - MPEG4

Screw anyone who has an older TV and refuses to upgrade. If all the networks did this, then the oldies who refuse, still get their classic station available to them, but those who either have modern TVs or STBs and want to upgrade will access the full suite.[/quote]In a perfect world this is precisely what Seven should be doing. But alas…:pensive:

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:817, topic:895, full:true”]The only other theory I can think of for the reasoning behind the Seven/7mate split of a HD simulcast (aside from those already discussed of course) is because they’re waiting for the regional stations (including Seven Queensland which they actually own and operate) to be able to run a HD MPEG4 channel.[/quote]Well, all things going to plan, SCTV should have their HD channel up and running in the next couple of months going by the feedback I received that they’re hoping to have one up running by the end of this year.

1 Like

This could only ever happen if the networks got together and made it happen as an industry.

If only

I hate it when people complain that they can’t get the MPEG-4 HD channels. It’s not like you don’t have access to the programming at all, you still have the primary SD channel, upgrade your TV if you want HD! If this stance had been taken in the face of digital TV, we would still be on analogue. Australia is already behind in terms of broadcasting, we need to catch up!

This may sound a bit strange, but would it be possible for the networks to do what Britain have done and supply all channels in SD and HD (except for the datacasts), that way, everybody wins. Keep the current channels as they are, but reassign all of the 1xx LCNs for MPEG-4 HD.

e.g.
02 - ABC
20 - ABC sim.
22 - ABC2/Kids
23 - ABC Me
24 - ABC News
120 - ABC HD
122 - ABC2 HD/Kids HD
123 - ABC Me HD
124 - ABC News HD

4 Likes

That’s good to know.

Although I would laugh so much (and also be slightly depressed) if Southern Cross Tasmania launched a HD simulcast of their main channel before Seven Sydney!

2 Likes