Seven Cricket Coverage

This will have a better understanding as to what when to air. I am afraid to say a couple were on the main channel. They were switching from the main channel to the multi channels and vice versa. Hopman Cup and Brisbane International on 7. Sydney and Kooyong were all on 7mate.
http://www.sevenwestmedia.com.au/assets/pdfs/Sevens-Summer-of-Tennis-2018.pdf

1 Like

Seven will not be on-selling the tennis rights. Tim Worner has told the Macquarie Australia conference in Sydney: “we are committed to showing both cricket and tennis next summer”. The AFR is speculating at least one Test match will be shown on a secondary Seven channel as Seven will “almost certainly” broadcast the Australian Open tennis on the main channel.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/seven-commits-to-cricket-and-tennis-scheduling-clash-20180501-h0zhnu#ixzz5EErC226Q

6 Likes

Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has confirmed it was Seven who came up with the idea of playing a women’s Twenty20 match between Australia and NZ on AFL Grand Final night.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/swoop/channel-7-schedule-womens-cricket-on-back-of-afl-grand-final/news-story/6fbd12db97f5f7359056cff12325c4ba

2 Likes

This is all very interesting, I (as surely many) were positive Seven would on-sell.

I guess they want Nine to sink to a new low next summer? It’s also telling that they still want those two weeks of ratings before MKR (after all, it was Seven themselves who made a big deal about “winning every night of Aus Open”).

3 Likes

Although I personally wanted to see the rights be on-sold to Nine in the interests of fairness, at the same time I’m not overly surprised that Seven are deciding to keep the tennis for that one final year.

With the rights to horse racing, golf, cricket, the Sydney to Hobart yacht race and tennis it should be quite a bumper Spring & Summer in the ratings for Seven!

6 Likes

Well, one summer anyway.

The real battle will be between Nine and Ten! Movie marathons?

In all seriousness, let’s PRAY that doesn’t happen, hoping for new local content, etc. As (seemingly correct) sources told a masthead some months ago (if Nine lost everything next summer) they’d already “planned a contingency”… Wonder what it is?

2 Likes

Surely they’ll run a season of The Block over summer or similar.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, Nine and Bruce have resolved their differences and he is giving them plenty of programming advice. Both Nine and Ten will be fully stocked with all your mini-series needs from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s for family marathon nights complete with bedtime at 8:30pm and probably network closedowns at 10pm, just like the olden days.

3 Likes

Not while Summer is considered to be a ‘non-ratings’ period

2 Likes

List of cricket matches for the summer of 2018-19.

4 Likes

Is that The West Australian? Can’t imagine any other paper that would splash the “7” logo everywhere

This is from The West Australian. Channel Seven will televise only tests & BBL, while Fox Sports televises T20s, BBL, ODIs and Tests Live.

2 Likes

The Adelaide Test Match will be played during the day only.

1 Like

I’d have thought India would enjoy the timezone of a day/night test in Adelaide.

India has never played a day/night test before and is fearful of Australia’s record of day/night tests at home: 3 matches, 3 wins.

2 Likes

In other words India are afraid of getting their ass kicked by Australia in a day/night test.

3 Likes

News Corp is reporting Ricky Ponting will become the face of Seven’s coverage

4 Likes

Why does there need to be a ‘face’ of a coverage? Wouldn’t this affect Mel McLaughlin’s capacity as a host now?

1 Like

Why does there need to be a separate host? One thing I always found odd about 10’s BBL coverage. If you have talent in the commentary box, utilise it.

Olympics, tennis sports where the host links different events or matches together sure, but cricket is unnecessary. Same with AFL on Friday when Hamish hosts.

2 Likes

Agreed on AFL. What’s wrong with Bruce hosting, like he did in the 90s.