Seven Cricket Coverage

Plus there is also the annual Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road cycling race in Geelong and surrounding areas on the same weekend.

2 Likes

That can easily be bumped to 7Two/7mate - it’s the AO finals which is the much bigger scheduling ‘headache’ Seven will have

1 Like

Well, that’s that sorted.

They’ll have to on-sell to Nine, TA will certainly almost make them.

You can’t have the Women’s and Men’s finals on 7mate :joy: The latter being one of the highest rating programs each year.

They could always shift the cricket to 7mate. :wink:

1 Like

Well you never know. If Seven can get the issues they have that prevent them from having two HD channels sorted over the course of this year, it could work. The one thing that can be said if the women’s and men’s finals are shown on 7mate is that it would probably deliver 7mate the highest ratings and shares that possibly any multichannel has ever had :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But Seven have just signed with CA, where they’ve lost TA. So you’d think Seven will have full allegiance/loyalty to CA now?

But I guess they’ll go over ratings with a fine tooth comb, in that Aus Open did win every night for them this summer. Maybe CA would agree then to move some cricket (as a once off obviously) to 7Two or 7mate?

1 Like

The timing of the Gabba day/night test also puts Seven on a disadvantage given the match is scheduled to conclude on Monday, January 28. If the match finishes early, Seven could be forced to show repeats on Monday while Nine launches the new season of Married at First Sight and Ten airs I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. Seven won’t be able to launch its regular line-up including Home and Away and My Kitchen Rules until Tuesday, January 29.
On the other end of schedule, Seven News Perth will have to be shown early after the AFL Grand Final (say 4.30pm or 5pm) to accommodate the start of women’s T20 match due to time difference. In November last year, Australia played England in three T20 games, two of which started at 7.10pm AEDT.
It also means the GF post-match and concert will have to be shown live nationally on 7mate.

1 Like

I think they will do what they need to do to satisfy both contracts, assuming they retain the tennis which they have indicated they will be. That probably doesn’t mean playing favourites.

3 Likes

As good as women’s cricket is, people aren’t interested in T/20 cricket of any sort that early in the summer. I think it’s a stupid move by cricket Australia. Also if Seven think they will make money out of this summer, they are laughing. Three test during the day, during school term. 2 big test in melb/syd normal. Third test, over the aus open, played in Brisbane, in which it normally rains during Jan nights. You won’t make money playing re-runs against the tennis, that’s if they sell it on to nine. And if I were nine, I would be low ballin them, cause maximum pain.

1 Like

As it always is?

Which is what I was getting at, when I said CA, TA and Seven need to all sit down together at some stage and maturely come to some agreement on next summer.

Knowing that Seven have obligations with both codes (again, assuming they keep the Aus Open, which I’m not exactly sure what you meant by “indicated they will”).

A side note Robert Craddock came out today and told SEN’s Gerard Whateley that Seven might “burn off the tennis on multi-channels”. What a pile of horse shit, get real, as if TA or frankly even Seven would allow/do that :joy:

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be in their best interests (assuming Seven and they can come to a beneficial agreement) for them to acquire the AO rights a year early and still have a big-drawing sports event that they can air during Summer?

1 Like

Depending on the price, which Seven would ask (not TA).

Nine wouldn’t pay a huge one off fee, if they didn’t see it as financially viable.

Then there’s Nine’s stance, maybe for 2019 they might have an approach like “Seven got themselves into this rights mess, so they can sort it all out”?

3 Likes

And it was reported when seven picked up the cricket they asked nine for $50m for next summers tennis. So unless nine want to pay for something they don’t need to, I’ll be just leaving seven to fix the mess they have got themselves into.

No, due to time difference, some of GF post-match and concert were shown on main channel in SA, NT and WA before moving to 7mate.

2 Likes

Those markets are small, one isn’t even measured.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call WA a small market, maybe SA yes but certainly not WA. WA loves their football.

2 Likes

If there’s no ratings the audience doesn’t matter? I that’s not what you mean.

1 Like

Here is Seven’s international cricket schedule with concurrent sporting events (which the network has the rights to) shown in italics.

Australia v New Zealand, first women’s T20: North Sydney Oval, Saturday, September 29 (night)
(AFL Grand Final post-match and concert)
Australia v New Zealand, second women’s T20: Allan Border Field, Brisbane, Monday October 1
Australia v New Zealand, third women’s T20: Manuka Oval, Canberra, Friday, October 5

Australia v India, first test: Adelaide Oval, December 6-10
Australia v India, second test: Perth Stadium, December 14-18
Australia v India, third test: MCG, December 26-30
(Rolex Sydney to Hobart yacht race, Hopman Cup, Brisbane International tennis)
Australia v India, fourth test: SCG, January 3-7
(Hopman Cup, Brisbane International tennis, Sydney International tennis)
Australia v Sri Lanka, first test (Day/Night): The Gabba, January 24-28
(Australian Open tennis – finals, Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race)
Australia v Sri Lanka, second test: Manuka Oval, Canberra, February 1-5
(potential opening weekend of AFLW season, Bathurst 12 Hour race)

Australia v New Zealand, first women’s ODI: WACA Ground, Friday, February 22
Australia v New Zealand, second women’s ODI: Karen Rolton Oval, Adelaide, Sunday February 24
Australia v New Zealand, third ODI: Junction Oval, Melbourne, Sunday March 3

3 Likes

The 1st Day of the 3rd test between Australia v India will be on Channel 7 with Yacht Race to be telecasted on 7Two.
If Cricket is still playing during Day 4-5, Brisbane International will be played on 7two, while Hopman cup will go to 7mate.

Hopman Cup finishes on 5th Jan, while Brisbane International finishes on 6th Jan. Unless the 4th test is finished before the 7th Jan, the Sydney International Tennis will still be screened on a multichannel.

Australia Day weekend (26-27 January) will be a very big weekend of sport. Cadel Evans Cycling race will move to 7Two. It will be a split decision between which two sports (cricket or tennis) will use the primary channel. Australian Open men’s final will be a bigger event than the Test Cricket.

A Bathurst 12 hour race will air on 3rd February on 7mate.

2 Likes

Weren’t all lead up tennis matches on multi channels anyway the last few years? Unless a big name Aussie got anywhere into it. Can’t see much of that being an issue except a few days of the Aus Open.

5 Likes