Seven Cricket Coverage

I guess what they mean is Ponting will be Seven’s main analyst - it won’t be like Gilchrist being the ‘face’ of Fox’s coverage since the latter has established himself as a presenter

4 Likes

So basically like Ten?

Fantastic news!

1 Like

Good coup for 7

3 Likes

Apparently Fleming set to join Seven too.

Both Seven and Foxtel apparently still eager for Warnie.

3 Likes

Gilchrist is at FOX, Punter is at Seven.

• Andy Maher might sign for the BBL coverage on Seven following his success of The Front Bar.
  • Fleming is set to join Seven in December 2018.
  • Brayshaw will probably do Channel 7’s cricket (as he did the role in cricket on Seven back in 2001 with the Ashes series.)
2 Likes

Question is now where will Mark Howard go. He’ll be part of the BBL coverage somewhere, whether it’s Seven or Fox Sports remains to be seen. It would mean he will have to leave Ten Motorsport which I think is now his only other on-air role on Ten after they lost the BBL rights.

1 Like

Another question is the beginning of the coverage of the BBL match in prime time. Last year, Channel 10 started the telecast at 7:30PM due to The Project. The match commenced at 7:40PM (AEDT). Cricket Australia will release a schedule of the 43 out of 59 games that will be covered on Channel Seven.

1 Like

I think most of BBL matches will still start at 7.45pm AEDT (6.45pm in Queensland), meaning in Queensland there will be 30 minutes of Seven News before the BBL. Coverage in WA will be more problematic given the traditional dominance of Seven News and Today Tonight, I am tipping most matches will be shown live on 7mate.

Too Ten loyal I’d say, sticking with F1s / MotoGP (where he began actually)?

Just like how when Ten had the rights most matches were relegated to One. Just typical, so WA will miss out on HD BBL games still if this is the case.

It’s also due to the three-hour time difference between WA and east coast of Australia in summer. When a BBL match starts in Sydney or Melbourne it will be 4.45pm in WA. Will Seven give up the afternoon news and The Chase repeats to show the cricket before the 6pm news? I don’t think so.

I wish they would sometimes. Just another one of the frustrations of living in Perth haha.

Hopefully Howard stays away from the cricket.

2 Likes

According to TV Tonight, Ponting will do a live cross from India tonight, talking to Bruce McAvaney during half time of the AFL match between Hawthorn and Sydney.

2 Likes

Happening now, on the Friday Night Countdown. It might be replayed at half time?

2 Likes

Here is the video from Friday Night Countdown, Ponting talking to Hamish McLachlan, Cameron Ling, Wayne Carey and Bruce McAvaney:

Seven’s cricket Twitter account (7Cricket) also went live today.

3 Likes

From Seven

Cricket legend Ricky Ponting joins Seven

Australia’s highest ever run-scorer and former captain, Ricky Ponting, is set to join the new home of cricket, Channel 7.

Ponting, one of the most decorated cricketers to ever wear the baggy green, is currently regarded as the best cricket commentator in the world. His intimate knowledge of the game is matched by his ability to communicate to all cricket fans of varying interest and understanding.

Ricky Ponting commented:

“Seven has long been the leader of live sport coverage in Australia and their plans for cricket will give the viewer a greater insight into the game. I couldn’t be more excited to be joining Seven and being part of an exciting new era of cricket broadcasting.”

Channel 7 Head of Cricket Dave Barham said:

“We are absolutely rapt Ricky has decided to join Seven. He is a key signing and we will be building a formidable team around him. Australian cricket fans will hear him commentate Test Matches for the first time ever, in addition to his outstanding BBL commentary.”

The crack signing follows Seven’s historic six-year agreement with Cricket Australia. The deal, which runs from 2018 through to 2024, includes domestic free-to-air broadcast rights to all the Test Matches as well as 43 of the 59 BBL matches each season.

For the first time, Test Matches and BBL will be all at the one place - the Seven Network - the new home of Australian Cricket.

5 Likes

There is also an Instagram account of @7Cricket

1 Like

They just interviewed Ricky during the AFL half time break on Sevens football coverage tonight.

1 Like