Seven AFL Coverage

We all know that Seven will always go over time in Friday and Saturday nights in their afl coverage.

Seven always has a pre game in the schedules for their Friday night coverage. It’s on the epg and TV guides. Why don’t they just schedule the same for post-match from 10.30-11.30pm instead of going over time for an hour every weekend!

4 Likes

I don’t really understand. I mean its a sports broadcast so its often not expected to run to time. Its shows that annoy me when they don’t stick to a schedule.

1 Like

###Round 12

Big Freeze 3 at the ‘G and the annual Queen’s Birthday clash

On Monday Football it’s the Big Freeze 3 at the ‘G, followed by Melbourne and Collingwood coming off wins as they battle it out in the annual Queen’s Birthday clash.

At 2pm AEST LIVE, much-loved football legend Neale Daniher sends some of our nation’s best sporting heroes down the slide and into the ice pool to raise funds and help find a cure for motor neuron disease.

This year, Lleyton Hewitt, Steve Hooker, Alisa Camplin, Steve Bradbury, Steve Moneghetti, Andrew Gaze, and more to accept in coming days, will be taking the plunge to support the cause which affects thousands of Australians and sees two Aussies diagnosed every day.

The Sydney Swans host the Western Bulldogs at the SCG for Thursday Night Football aiming to turn the tables after the Dogs defended their premiership win in Round 2. The Dogs have been steady but a home game for the Swans could be what they need to help them over the line.

During the coverage, we talk to gun midfielder Marcus Bontempelli about last year’s premiership success, his style of play and the commercial starring Hollywood heavyweight Chris Hemsworth.

The Adelaide Crows will be celebrating 20 years since their 1997 premiership win against St Kilda on Friday Night Football. The Saints will be hoping to spoil the party and break their run of six losses to the Crows.

To celebrate the occasion, the 1997 Adelaide premiership team will be in attendance and we chat to some of them throughout the night. In the pregame we hear from both club coaches, Don Pyke and Alan Richardson live.

Saturday Night Footy heads to Etihad Stadium where Essendon host Port Adelaide. The Power managed to break a losing streak against the Bombers in 2015 and backed it up last year. The Power will be aiming to continue their resurgence while Essendon vie for a crucial win to stay in touch with the top eight.

This week, The Kick looks back at the first half of the year and some unconventional awards are handed out. Our panel also give an update on all things Big Freeze 3.

Ollie Wines is this week’s Discovered feature. Wines has been training to become a pilot and we join him as he takes his first solo flight.

TV Broadcast times:

Thursday 8 June
Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 7mate

The Front Bar
Sydney 10.15pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 10.15pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 10.15pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 9.45pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 10.15pm on 7mate

Friday 9 June
Adelaide Crows v St Kilda
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Saturday 10 June
Hawthorn v Gold Coast Suns
Brisbane 1.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Brisbane Lions v Fremantle
Brisbane 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate

VFL: Casey v Collingwood
Melbourne 2.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL: Eagles v South Adelaide
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Essendon v Port Adelaide
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.20pm LIVE on 7mate

Sunday 11 June
AFL Game Day
Sydney 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 10.00am LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 10.00am on Channel 7
Perth 10.00am on Channel 7

Carlton v GWS Giants
Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on 7mate

WAFL: Swan Districts v West Perth
Perth 2.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Monday 12 June
Melbourne v Collingwood – The Big Freeze at the ‘G
Sydney 2.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 2.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 1.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 12.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Talking Footy
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

Another week with no game on a Sunday. Welcome to the modern age of sports rights. Lucky I ended up getting Foxtel. Seven paying way too much for the rights to the AFL.

Hopefully Eddie McGuire stays at home this year.

2 Likes

Different people go down the slide every year…

1 Like

Oh! So nothing to do with Melbourne’s weather!

4 Likes

I wonder what the AFL thinks of its Perth audiences?

When it was broadcast on the main channel, certainly when Ch 9 had the Friday night rights, it regularly pulled well over 200k, as high as 250k sometimes (even for non-WA team games)!

Now, there’s only a few games per year where there’s 200k+ on 7mate.

I know in 2012 they decided it was better, so News / Today Tonight could broadcast live at 6pm, whilst the game could also still be broadcast live.

But numbers are definitely affected.

Foxtel has a low penetration in SA & WA too.

This year’s Octet is Lleyton Hewitt, Alisa Camplin, Steven Bradbury (who probably won’t go last), Steve Hooker (no truth to the rumour he’s getting Cameron Ling to fill in for him…yeah I know, bad joke again), Steve Moneghetti, Andrew Gaze, Shirelle McMahon and Adam Craig Gilchrist.

1 Like

It wasn’t simulcast on Foxtel or streamed via PCs, tablets and phones back then though was it? Ratings for almost all FTA shows were almost double what they are now.

2 Likes

I think you forget the modern age we live in. I don’t even watch AFL on free to air anymore. I either watch Foxtel or my tablet.

2 Likes

And your point? Why would you watch free to air if you had Foxtel? That would be like shopping at David jones when you had staff discount card for myer. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

What about the Grand Final?, do you watch that on free to air or wait for the replay on Fox Footy?

1 Like

My point was related to the lower figures on free to air…[quote=“stilesykenny, post:1416, topic:376, full:true”]
What about the Grand Final?, do you watch that on free to air or wait for the replay on Fox Footy?
[/quote]

I only hot foxtel this year but will probably watch it on free to air. The response was related to free to air decreasing. Which proves my point. In the modern age if their is an alternative many will pick the alternative. The grand final has no alternative.

1 Like

or buying a Ferrari and only using it to drive 1km to the local shops on Saturday morning!

2 Likes

Shocking coverage from seven tonight. Cameras not following the game and commentators kept getting Port players wrong. Doesn’t help port are down by 50 points. Just pisses me off more.

1 Like

updated

Big Freeze at the 'G (3) about to get underway.

Hamish McLachlan “hosting” again + post-slide interview & Brian Taylor calling.

Tim Watson pre-interviewing + pushing & Bruce McAvaney narrating pre-slide back stories.

Should again be great :grinning:

1 Like

Live & Freeze | 7 watermark

2 Likes

###Round 13

Three prime time matches over three big nights of footy

Thursday Night Football kicks off Round 13 with the West Coast Eagles hosting Geelong in Perth. The Eagles have enjoyed a spot in the top eight all season, but after three consecutive losses, have slipped down to ninth. The Eagles will be keen to redeem themselves on their home turf, while the Cats will be hoping they can take advantage of the struggling Eagles to further cement their top four position.

Eagles coach Adam Simpson takes us behind the scenes in the build up to the game while injured Eagles star Nic Naitanui brings his on-field knowledge into the commentary box. We also talk to Patrick Dangerfield about the excitement of his impending fatherhood duties.

St Kilda clash with North Melbourne on Friday Night Football as the Saints aim to end their six-game losing streak to the Kangaroos. With both teams sitting outside of the eight, a win this week will be critical in the run to finals.

Before the bounce, club captains Jack Ziebell and Jarryn Geary talk about their first year of captaincy thus far. Then, in an AFL first, both captains will wear a microphone during the match to capture ‘Sounds of the Game’. The best grabs will be played at half time and post-match.

The Gold Coast Suns and Carlton shape up at Metricon Stadium for Saturday Night Footy. Last weekend, the Blues proved they have what it takes to mix among the best in their stunning one-point victory over flag favourites, the Giants. With the Suns coming off two wins, the game promises to be a nail-biter as both teams fight to stay in contention with a host of teams clamouring for the top eight.

On The Kick, the Curnow Brothers from Carlton catch up and have a kick with passionate Blues supporter Tina Arena. We also ask fans the topical question of ‘where will Gary Ablett be in 2017?’ At half time, viewers get an exclusive sneak peek into the next instalment of Carlton’s documentary The Journey.

TV Broadcast times:
Thursday 15 June
Eagle Vision
Perth 5.00pm on 7mate

West Coast Eagles v Geelong Cats
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate

The Front Bar
Sydney 11.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 11.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 11.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 10.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 9.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Friday 16 June
North Melbourne v St Kilda
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Saturday 17 June
Richmond v Sydney Swans
Sydney 1.30pm LIVE on 7mate

VFL: Northern Blues v Werribee

Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions
Brisbane 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 4.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL: East Fremantle v Perth
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Gold Coast Suns v Carlton
Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.20pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.50pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Sunday 18 June
AFL Game Day
Sydney 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 10.00am LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 10.00am on Channel 7
Perth 10.00am on Channel 7

SANFL: South Adelaide v Norwood
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Monday 19 June
Talking Footy
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

1 Like

Cameron Ling will fill in for Hamish McLachlan on AFL Game Day this Sunday according to the show’s Twitter account.

2 Likes