Seven AFL Coverage

I was looking ahead in the fixture and in round 8 is there only 2 matches on 7?

It’s because Mother’s Day is in Round 8 (May 8), that’s why the AFL moved one match from the Sunday to the Friday night to create another doubleheader.

On the Sunday it looks like the 4:40pm game, Carlton v Adelaide will be a 7 match. https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=1&CompSeason=43&MatchTimezone=MY_TIME&Regions=2&ShowBettingOdds=1&GameWeeks=8&Teams=1&Venues=13

I’m pretty sure that’s a mistake. It will be a Fox Footy game simulcast on 7 in SA only.

3 Likes

Still using the old Essendon logo.

Adelaide will host the AFLW Grand Final for the second year in a row, when they play Melbourne in the decider next Saturday, April 9 at Adelaide Oval.
Seven’s broadcast will start at 12pm AEST (confirmed tonight during the AFL telecast), with the first bounce at 12.30pm.

3 Likes

Matt Hill calling today’s St Kilda v Richmond game with Brian Taylor.

7 Likes

Probably a 1 off thing but I guess it’s encouraging to see 7 use different commentators this season, gives hope that some of them (Bennett & Nicholson) get a permanent slot next season

Bennett is usually unavaliable Sundays because of VFL commitments

1 Like

He’s been really impressive imo (unsurprisingly).

Seven have a made a good call with him and Nicholson calling games, and giving Bennett a larger role.

1 Like

Yes Matt Hill has been good but he does sound like hes calling horse racing

4 Likes

During Seven News Melbourne this evening, Jacqueline Felgate announced that she is leaving Seven after ten years.
Jacqui had been co-host of Seven’s Brownlow Medal coverage for the past couple of years, and also presented Footy Central during half-time of Friday night and Saturday night matches.
The timing of her departure was surprising given we are only in Round 3 of the current AFL season.
Who is going to replace her?

2 Likes

Mitch Cleary, Andrew mccormack or maybe Laura Spurway

3 Likes

Could also throw in Abby Gelmi or Tom Browne

3 Likes

Luke Darcy’s regular spot on Saturday Night must be under some pressure now. McLachlan is a polarising figure but unfortunately he is Ch7’s main man for sports broadcasts so he will stay.

Another big loss from Channel Seven with Jacqueline Felgate leaving the network. She has done a great job hosting the HSV7 Good Friday Telethon Appeal, hosted the Wimbledon tennis coverage, and the Beijing Winter Olympics. She will be sadly missed.
I am leaning towards Abbey Gelmi or Bec Maddern.

2 Likes

Sounds like there’s a chance Jacqui could continue to present Footy Central (and the Brownlow).

2 Likes

Bec Maddern the absolute obvious choice now (she’s already co-presenter, just get her to do the sport report), it’ll fulfill her salary more and a return to what she was doing for Seven pre- current Jacqui Felgate (e.g.) she even filled-in for Basil Zempilas on Footy Central during 2015.

2 Likes

Bec doesn’t sound too bad although Mitch Cleary or Tom Browne would be better in the role.

As much as she would be great, I cant see Bec taking over… she has news commitments.