Seven AFL Coverage

I certainly won’t be holding by breath for it to happen.

However, I think that doing a full launch (so to speak) of the main channel in HD for all metro markets on AFL Grand Final day makes perfect sense. Afterall Seven have done this sort of thing before, thinking back to how HD coverage of the (drawn) 2010 AFL Grand Final was used as a launch pad for 7mate.

In any case, I do believe that it won’t be overly long before Seven bites the bullet and does a full launch of a HD main channel simulcast. Especially since Nine is now using the Nine HD logo at basically every promotional opportunity available, I’d be surprised if Seven hasn’t noticed that strategy and/or planning a response to it…

1 Like

I think Seven look at Nine and say “well, if they air NRL in Melbourne on main channel, then we’re going to air AFL on main channel in Sydney”?

NB/
I believe up until a few years ago, State of Origin was always on GEM in Melbourne and years before that not aired at all OR late night?

This Week in AFL on Seven: Finals

It’s a do-or-die clash from the MCG on Friday Night Football as the reigning premiers Hawthorn battle sentimental favourites, the Bulldogs. It’s 55 years since these two teams met in a Grand Final where Hawthorn saluted. The Hawks have since added another 12 premierships while the Bulldogs have been starved of the ultimate success. In the pre-game build-up, we talk to Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge and throughout the night, four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews will analyse all the action. The winner is set to face the Greater Western Sydney Giants at Spotless Stadium on Saturday week.

Saturday Night Footy sees minor premiers Sydney host the Crows at the SCG with some confidence, having won by 10 points earlier in the year on the road. A coveted Preliminary Final berth against the Cats at the MCG awaits the winner next Friday night. Before the match we catch up with Crows superstar sharp shooter Eddie Betts and review all the fallout from Friday night’s final.

TV Broadcast times:

Friday September 16
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs (MCG) Second Semi Final
Melbourne 7pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5pm LIVE on 7mate
Sydney 7pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 7pm LIVE on 7mate

Saturday September 17
Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows (SCG) First Semi Final
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6pm-6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Sydney 6pm-6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate

VFL Preliminary Final: Collingwood v Footscray
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Sunday September 18
AFL Game Day
Hosted by Hamish McLachlan with Leigh Matthews and Leigh Montagna
Melbourne | Adelaide | Perth 10am on Channel 7
Sydney | Brisbane 10am on 7mate

VFL Preliminary Final: Casey Scorpions v Williamstown
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL Preliminary Final: Sturt v Adelaide
Adelaide 2pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL Preliminary Final: South Fremantle v Peel Thunder
Perth 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Monday September 12
Talking Footy
Hosted by Luke Darcy with Tim Watson and Wayne Carey
Melbourne 7.30pm on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

It has just been announced that the GWS prelim final will start at 5.15 PM AEST. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-15/greater-western-sydney-to-host-twilight-preliminary-final-

1 Like

That means the last three quarters of the match will fall into primetime in Sydney and Melbourne and overlap with the start of the NRL preliminary final. I reckon Seven’s coverage will start at 4.30pm AEST and finish at 8pm with news to follow in VIC, TAS, SA, NT and WA.

1 Like

Not 100% sure but I think the News will be on during half time. If the regular season is anything to go by.

So in Perth the game will finish just in time for 6pm news

And I think in Sydney it means the game will be on 7mate.

Though GWS will say if it’s good enough for the Swans to be on the main channel in prime time this Saturday, it’s good enough for them …

But also means Seven would have to shift its 6pm news in Sydney for GWS.

A bit will depend on how the Swans rate this Saturday night.

2 Likes

I’m betting the GWS preliminary final will get main channel coverage in Sydney. The AFL have pumped tens of millions of dollars into setting up the franchise, and this is their biggest opportunity yet for mainstream media exposure. Seven will comply with the AFL’s request as it’s in their best interests to promote the Grand Final coverage for the following Saturday.

5 Likes

Although GWS have had little exposure in Sydney since their inception, I think that this game should be on the main channel. If Sydney Swans get to do so, why not the Giants. Yes, it may annoy some viewers who want to watch the news at 6pm, but tough luck! lol.

But of course, it depends on the ratings this Saturday night.

The can always run the 6pm News on 7TWO to appease their regular viewers.

1 Like

Surely it’s a cold day in hell before Seven shafts Seven News in Sydney in favour of AFL. That’s a whole other level of insane.

5 Likes

Why? It’s one day, the AFL will probably be the biggest news story in Sydney that day anyway. The NRL prelim that night is likely to feature two non-Sydney teams.

I’m glad even though I am in Singapore right now, I will still be able to catch Seven’s coverage of both semi finals this weekend via the Australia Plus Network.

1 Like

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:653, topic:376, full:true”]
That means the last three quarters of the match will fall into primetime in Sydney and Melbourne and overlap with the start of the NRL preliminary final. I reckon Seven’s coverage will start at 4.30pm AEST and finish at 8pm with news to follow in VIC, TAS, SA, NT and WA.
[/quote]Like I’m pretty sure they did few years ago, they may decide to air the 6pm bulletin live on 7TWO and then air another at the conclusion of the match (say at 8pm). One things certain, they won’t pull a Ten.

Any ideas on what seven might do about dennis cometti’s final broadcast in 2 weeks
I think dennis could reappear next year on mix94.5 footy coverage doing 1 game a week and not having to travel might just bring DC out of retirement.Thoughts!!!

Did anyone notice Dennis Cometti’s twitter feed during The Bachelor final? Apparently his family will also be watching The Bachelorette by order of his wife :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some one said to me that is not real Dennis commetti on Twitter

1 Like

If you two are talking about https://twitter.com/DennisCometti7 he is obviously not the real deal. Even on his description it says ‘Assumed this was really Dennis? That’s ambitious’

2 Likes

I have no idea - don’t follow him - just saw some tweets with that name :slight_smile: