Seven AFL Coverage

Huh? You actually think there was a possibility (however small) that Seven would put the AFL on their main channel?

1 Like

Well, it had occured to me yes, considering they did it on Saturday.

But that was an afternoon.

Anyone know why Ch 7 have mixed it up in recent years, regarding Sydney Swans finals in prime-time?

•2012 Prelim vs Collingwood:

7mate: 135k (with a massive share).

•2013 Qualifying:

Main channel: 135k vs. NRL final

•2013 Prelim vs. Fremantle:

Main channel: 106k vs. NRL final (this game had over 650k in Sydney :confused:)

Now we’ve seen 160k on main channel in Sydney for an afternoon qualifying derby, it’ll be interesting to see the figures on Saturday night.

It should be on 7Mate, only put it on main channel during afternoons (more so) or nights when there’s no competition from NRL (at least in Sydney)…

1 Like

It appears they have.

AFL in Sydney this Saturday night is on Seven (according to the Foxtel guide) and not 7mate or 7HD.

What is going on?

1 Like

[quote=“sammy123, post:623, topic:376, full:true”]
Bring back Huddo and Sandy!
[/quote]Just throwing it out there, but what about Garry Lyon joining the Seven commentary team next year in some capacity? Is he still contracted to Nine? He’s categorically ruled out returning to TFS now.

1 Like

The free-to-air EPG is showing TBA for 7HD, and a Pirates movie for 7mate. Could there be a HD breakaway on Saturday night for the AFL?

Seven’s official guide at the moment has AFL on the main channel in Sydney with 70 (HD) and 73 (Mate) continuing as simulcasts with the Pirates movie. So no HD for the AFL in NSW except for 30 minutes preview at 6.30pm

1 Like

I think GWS will get a Saturday afternoon game vs Hawks/Bulldogs.

Partly because I think Seven does not have the guts to air AFL on the main channel in prime time in Sydney. Any twilight game that runs past 6pm would probably get moved to 7mate.

I don’t think Seven has shown prime time AFL in Sydney on the main channel since the early 2000s when I think they aired an Allies game (vs another state) on a Saturday night in prime time,

In Nine Melbourne’s defence, at least they do air NRL on the main channel a few times a year in prime time (including State of Origin and the Grand Final).

If the Storm get their next game on a Saturday night when (I think) there is unlikely to be AFL on, it should rate ALOT better than 74k.

If they do a Twilight game it would have to start early given the issues getting from the precinct to the motorway just to get to the airport. I suspect it may be an afternoon game if they want to give the opportunity for a same night return. Clubs may not want to return same night given it’s only a relatively short flight compared to a Perth trip or a Brisbane trip.

That was the reason that for years, when Seven had the contract up till 01, Optus would show Swans night games while Seven would show a movie or Rugby Union. Now there were exceptions in Brisbane, where the Lions were so good, but their night games were on Optus too while Seven showed movies or the Wallabies matches(back when they had rugby there), and FNF was always on Optus in the northern states.

I checked the guides the other day and it had “Pirates of the Caribbean” on Ch 7 & “TBA” on 7Mate!?

Looks like they’ve switched it.

AFL on Seven
Pirates of the Caribbean on 7HD and 7mate

So much for the AFL in HD rubbish. Seven caves in and gives AFL main channel status in Sydney, which is what the AFL really wants.

1 Like

The Foxtel Guide has now been updated to match this for Sydney

7: AFL
70 and 73 Pirates

There’s been rumours floating around for quite a while that Lyon could join either Seven or Fox Footy next year. If he was to join Fox, there’s apparently the possibility that he could continue hosting Footy Classified on Nine as well.

2 Likes

I think you’re right.

This Saturday night is more about pressure from the AFL, rather than Seven.

The game at the SCG will probably rate well on the main channel in Sydney, if it’s a thriller (200k+). But we’ll see. Heaps will be watching on Fox Footy in Melbourne/Sydney regardless.

I feel like they’re targeting Nine, trying to take lots of Sydney viewers away?

Well. I didn’t see that one coming from Seven.

As I said earlier, Seven haven’t shown AFL on the main channel in prime time for years in Sydney.

I had thought the Crows game would be on 7mate too (as well as GWS next week).

And yes, it throws that HD argument out the window (about why Syd/Bris/Perth doesn’t have its main channel simulcast in HD full time).

Perhaps Seven said to the AFL, you can have Swans vs Crows on EITHER the main channel live or 7HD live, but you’re not getting both.

1 Like

Every Saturday night games in 2016 in Perth has been broadcast on mate at 5.30pm

1 Like

I’d heard/read about the possibility of him joining Fox but not Seven. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if he ended up at Fox, but I wonder how interested Seven would be in signing him up for their coverage next year? He would be a good get (certainly a far better commentator than a couple already on contract at the network).

1 Like

Oh I hope not, we finally got rid of him from Nine.

All this is speculation as to what arrangements / agreements Sevena nd the AFL have.

However when the season is done in a few weeks - do we know if the HD channel will go to 7HD instead of mate?