Seven AFL Coverage

It was also the first Sunday Afternoon game shown in Qld for at least 3 weeks, having telecast FNF and 2 Saturday games involving Qld teams on said weeks.

WA viewers will have west coast v Melbourne match on replay next Sunday on 7mate. But there is an error. The Eagles-Melbourne game is at Optus Stadium, Perth NOT MCG.

2 Likes

Can it be a replay if it didn’t air live? Surely delayed is what you are after? But, yes, it is in Perth not the MCG.

1 Like

It must be an error. The West Coast v Melbourne match is produced by Seven so it should be live in Perth.

Nope, it’s delayed in Perth. Third Eagles match (after rounds 2 and 8) to be delayed into WA as per the 2017-22 rights agreement.

Its a 7 produce game Can’t be delayed
Only fox games can be delayed

2 Likes

The round 2 game was a game produced by Ch7. It was delayed.

2 Likes

You should call Seven programming Shoudy and let them know, at least someone is on the ball!

I wonder if Seven read the fine print that three games from each of Eagles, Dockers, Crows and Power will be shown on delay on FTA in their home state regardless of who is producing the coverage, before signing on the broadcast deal? The fans will have to suffer for four more years. For the next deal, Seven may have to pay more to make sure games produced by the network and involving these teams will be shown live into their home state.

Replay was always used for Friday night (9:30)and Saturday afternoon (6:00) matches in the 80s and 90s.

1 Like

Unfortunately SA viewers will have collingwood v Port Adelaide match and Adelaide v north Melbourne match on delay telecast. This will be the first time that more than one match in a round are shown on delay.
Three games on Delay!
18 Aug
Collingwood v Port Adelaide (MCG) Fox - SA
19 Aug
West Coast v melbourne Demons (Optus Stadium) - Seven - WA
Adelaide v North Melbourne (Adelaide Oval) - Fox - SA

This is listed as live for SA in the latest schedule 4PM - 7PM.

So what’s the deal with FTA local team delayed? Is it purely an exclusivity/ratings thing for Foxtel?

I would be extremely worried about a network if they didn’t know the contractual terms/obligations of the sports rights agreements they sign…

On another note, I don’t understand why the three games delayed arrangement has received constant criticism considering it’s far better than the week-to-week proposition (IIRC) which existed in previous rights agreements

4 Likes

LEts put this as it follows:
All 42 games involving Brisbane and Gold Coast + are shown live in QLD on FTA.
All 42 games involving Sydney and GWS are shown live in NSW on FTA.
All 42 games involving Adelaide & Port Adelaide are shown in SA not FTA, although 3 games involving crows and power matches are telecast on delay.
All 42 games involving Fremantle and West Coast are shown live in WA on FTA, although 3 games involving Freo and Eagles are on replay.

According to the AFL website, coverage starts at 6.55pm (I.e. 165 minute delay) on the main channel into SA. Not sure why the latest schedule states differently, the games were announced after the fixture was announced last year.

Would I be right by guessing that @Sully has seen the AFL Finals promo voiced by Bruce McAvaney?

Here’s a few snapshots from the Seven/7mate version (well, I presume that the promo airing in Melbourne is only promoting Seven anyway) we’re getting in Sydney:

4 Likes

Only like an hour ago, I did see it the other day but missed the first bit.

Edit
Question just on the Brownlow if anyone knows, so the count is exclusive FTA (which explains the unbelievable 600k+ audience in Melbourne each time), but I believe Fox Footy are still allowed there, for red carpet and wrap up, plus encore of the count afterwards?

Edit 2 @SydneyCityTV
Actually, the AFL Finals promo I saw was a very long one, which had historic HSV-7 footage of famous finals over the decades, etc. The one I think you captured, which I only saw a part of, was shorter I think, just highlighting the Brownlow/finals/GF?

1 Like

Last year Fox Footy’s AFL 360 had a Brownlow Medal special live from the red carpet, and I think it will be again be the case next month.

Wasn’t 360 done from the studio last year? It was the first year since Fox lost the rights to the count so from what I can remember, they didn’t go all out like they previously did

1 Like