Seven AFL Coverage

Ah, that’s what I was getting muddled with. So Fox Footy had simulcast rights of the count 2012-2016 but current deal Seven regained exclusive?

Seven has exclusive rights to the Brownlow medal as of this current broadcasting agreement deal. Also, people can stream the Brownlow Medal count live on the 7plus app.
In 2016, 7plus didn’t stream coverage of Brownlow due to other digital rights. Hence it was replaced by Border security international repeats.

1 Like

I think I’ve also seen an AFL Finals promo featuring footage of famous finals over the decades (at least at the start, before transitioning to more recent footage).

1 Like

I’ll pop this here, probably more relevant than Seven Sport.

For their VFL coveragre they use the ABC OB Van and broadcasting equipment. All except for the commentary box / studio which the ABC carted around on the back of a tray truck. Seven don’t and instead appear to use a tent:

1 Like

I thought Jason Bennett called the VFL match this afternoon?

He did, that’s him on the right.

For today’s game at Optus Stadium, it is likely that Brian Taylor, Mark Readings will be used for the West Coast v Demons match.

I know its been discussed extensively on and off, but the ‘handful of games exclusive to Fox’ clause in the current broadcast deal also affects Seven’s prime-time programs, albeit a secondary channel tonight.

7mate’s Sunday movie(s) has been one of the channel’s highlights this year and in Perth it’s pushed back an hour so 160min delayed AFL can finish and one of the movies can’t even air in Adelaide with the first movie starting 10pm local.

Such a mess.

And if the game was live there’s still the same problem.

1 Like

Swans bid for top four spot LIVE on Channel 7 in Sydney

Channel 7 will broadcast the Sydney Swans v Hawthorn match this Saturday LIVE into Sydney from 7pm AEST.

If the Swans beat the Hawks, they are guaranteed of a top four finish and the double chance in the finals.

The Swans could finish as high as second and score a home final, although that would require a big win for the Swans, the Eagles to lose by a huge margin, as well as a Collingwood loss.

The Hawks will also finish in the top four should they win, and could snare a top two spot should they win and the Eagles result falls their way.

Saturday 25 August
Sydney v Hawthorn (SCG)

Sydney 7pm LIVE on Channel 7 (The Kick is LIVE on 7mate from 6.30pm)
Melbourne 7pm LIVE on Channel 7 (The Kick is LIVE on Channel 7 from 6.30pm)
Perth 5pm LIVE on 7mate

6 Likes

Good to hear that Seven will be airing an AFL match on the main channel (and therefore HD on LCN-70) in Sydney especially with one of the local teams playing, although there’ll be tough competition on Nine in the form of Roosters vs Broncos in the NRL!

3 Likes

Yes, good to see AFL on the main channel in Sydney, and in HD.

I think that’s the first time its happened this year?

I think there’s been a few afternoon AFL matches (all of which featured either the Swans or GWS, of course) that have been shown on the main channel in Sydney this year, but this one is probably the first in primetime.

5 Likes

Good to see and long overdue after Nine have been airing NRL involving Storm on main channel in Melbourne each prime time this year.

5 Likes

Sydney Swans v Hawthorn Hawks on Seven vs Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos on Nine. Normally NRL dominates over AFL in Sydney & Brisbane when it’s head-to-head each other. For me, I’d think that the NRL on Nine will again prevail over the AFL by 30k viewers!

I think the margin to Nine will be greater than that, but I guess we’ll know on Monday.

Have they? Not doubting you but clearly not getting much cut through.

Not all games. Thursday night games involving the Storm have been on Gem.

1 Like

Why do you think its a god given right for all games for SA/WA teams to be live on FTA (or on FTA at all) in their home states? In the next deal, I’m sure Fox will get a handful of fully exclusive games for these teams.

1 Like

Neither have the Sunday afternoon games, as far as I’m aware