Seven AFL Coverage

Yes, I think so. And that was in response to @Super_SC saying Bruce won’t be doing it (for whatever reason).

Well, biggest outside finals anyway.

That’s really not necessary.

1 Like

According to the AFL Broadcasting guide
Frid 7mate Swans v crows
Sat 7 St Kilda v Giants
Sun 7mate North v Hawks
Tue 7mate Dees v Tigers
Wed 7mate Pies v Dons

I was under the impression that AFL had to be in HD! well the block buster Anzac Day for NSW is in SD!!
note the above is for Sydney

For markets like Sydney & Brisbane which aren’t so big on the AFL, there’s probably a certain number of games with the local teams that have to be shown on the main channel and/or in HD each year. The St Kilda vs Giants game getting a main channel/HD airing on Saturday is probably one of those.

I for one, vastly prefer Seven’s current HD channel set-up over what happened between May and December 2016 (except for a couple of weeks during Rio 2016) where Sydney, Brisbane & Perth had 7mateHD while Melbourne & Adelaide enjoyed Seven main channel content in HD - that was ridiculous!

And yes, I know it’ll be 7mateHD in Melbourne & Adelaide next Tuesday night but at least that’s only for 24 hours rather than months at a time!

I somehow doubt many Sydneysiders would consider an AFL match between Collingwood & Essendon (no offence to anyone locally who might be a fan of either team) to be a “blockbuster”.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that St Kilda v GWS game will be shown on main channel in Sydney rather than the big races from the final day of Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival (horse racing starts on main channel at 12pm before moving to 7TWO at 1.30pm).

1 Like

Because it’s on 7mate for that market.

Seven stopped showing the Anzac Day clash on the main channel in Sydney/Brisbane around 2013 or 2014? No idea why. It’s not like it’s prime-time. Game to attact close to 50-100k in those markets.

Nine and Ten always showed Anzac Day AFL on main channel in Sydney/Brisbane, though that’s probably because they had to.

Seven did in 2012 at least off their own volition.

1 Like

Bt will be doing Friday night foity with basil

2 Likes

Thank you

Thanks

https://twitter.com/channel7/status/987155476503646208

Friday night footy, two non Victorian teams playing, don’t think that happens that often, but it’s great to see.

7 Likes

And 2 non-NSW teams in the NRL. Good night of sport.

2 Likes

Different views to what is normally seen inside the TV room at the SCG (side on), which I believe is located way up in the roof?

1 Like

Unusual.angle.from the SCG, usually a very cramped shot with the ground behind them from the Brewongle Stand
Like this shot of Tim Lane and KB from 1987.

Lately, Seven have used a shot from behind the goals in the. Noble/ Badman Stand for one and postmatch.

1 Like

Still using the old graphics on the VFL coverage…

1 Like

AFL is on Seven’s main channel tonight in Perth. Very rare.

Is this to try at make it like a ‘Super Saturday’ for WA? West Coast in the afternoon > Seven News at special time of 5:30pm > into Fremantle for night.

It could also be a ratings ploy (share), due to 7mate not having AFL anywhere tonight bar Brisbane? Maybe it seemed a waste having AFL (which rates well in Perth of course) on 7mate, so trying to give Seven’s main channel a network bump? Especially when you see what Nine and Ten are airing against Seven tonight!

2 Likes

I’m just not a big fan of James Brayshaw.

I can handle is commentary but been watching The Kick tonight and it’s painful.

2 Likes

I’ve just never been a fan of his. Didn’t like him on The Footy Show either. I am a fan of Gary Lyon. Have been enjoying his commentary on Fox Sports.

His much more tolerable commentating the footy than the cricket IMO

3 Likes

Don’t worry the ads must be due to start shortly for those with him in them and you know when the cricket will be? “After the footy” of course in true Channel Seven style.

1 Like