Seven AFL Coverage

Last year Seven repeated various grand finals - different one for each market.

1 Like

It will be between Werribee and Gold Coast, live from Melbourne’s Ikon Park.

1 Like

Didn’t Melbourne Storm move their game last year or was it the year before due to something similar, there was a big media storm around it and NRL caved?

And yes the AFL Prelim on the Saturday has been in ‘twilight’ for years now, due to the GF fairness/rest (not really related to broadcast/TV performance). Although, as seen in previous years, it’s usually a bumper night for Seven regardless of the near 8pm finish (remember a special edition Seven News at 8pm in at least Melbourne also airs and goes high).

Brownlow:

Still find it a bit odd how Rebecca Maddern isn’t given more Seven Sport roles to do, given Brownlow again and her roles at 9WWOS, even though I can understand they want an image of focus attached to Seven News Melbourne weekends and the two departments rarely align.

3 Likes

I think that was 2021 when the AFL Grand Final was played at night in Perth, so the Storm vs Panthers Prelim in Brisbane was moved to 4pm.

5 Likes

Ah yes of course, thank you. That was actually twilight in Perth (but night on east coast), but 2020 was night in Brisbane/east coast (and twilight in Perth).

3 Likes

AFL Finals fly high on Seven

The 2023 AFL Finals Series continues to score with viewers on the Seven Network, with the Friday and Saturday night Preliminary Finals reaching a combined 3.92 million viewers nationally.

Friday night’s Semi-Final between Melbourne and Carlton at the MCG was watched by 1.13 million broadcast viewers nationally and dominated its timeslot in all people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

The match was the #1 program of the week in 16 to 39s and scored the biggest AFL national audience this year. The average audience was up 83% on the 2023 regular season Friday night average audience and the game reached 2.59 million people nationally.

Melbourne’s audience soared 94% on the 2023 season to-date Friday night match average audience, Brisbane was up 92%, Sydney up 70%, Perth up 69% and Adelaide up 64%.

Seven was #1 in prime time on Friday night with a dominant 54.6% commercial audience share nationally in all people, 54.1% in 25 to 54s and 56.2% in 16 to 39s.

Saturday night’s high-stakes clash between Port Adelaide and GWS GIANTS scored an average of 1.01 million viewers. It was up 93% on the 2023 season to-date average Saturday night average, up 272% in Sydney, up 196% in Brisbane, up 90% in Adelaide, up 75% in Melbourne and 55% in Perth.

Seven’s live and free coverage of the GWS GIANTS’ victory over Port at Adelaide Oval was #1 in its timeslot in total people, 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s and reached 2.98 million people.

The Seven Network was #1 in prime time on Saturday with a 45.4% commercial audience share nationally in all people, 41.2% in 25 to 54s and 41.1% in 16 to 39s.

Seven’s AFL Finals coverage captured 71% of the overall AFL broadcast TV audience across the two games, including 72% of all viewers in regional Australia.

Seven’s AFL coverage helped power Seven to a dominant weekly win across the week ending 17 September, with an unrivalled 45.4% commercial share across all people nationally – marking Seven’s 10th week in a row as the most-watched network.

Seven Network is #1 nationally and in the capital cities so far in the OzTAM 2023 survey year, and #1 nationally in 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s.

And for the first time, the Seven Network is making the AFL Grand Final and the Brownlow Medal more accessible than ever before for fans, with both major events available live, free and exclusive across the screens of Seven including 7plus in 2023. The new streaming rights underscores Seven’s commitment to connect viewers with the nation’s biggest and best mass cultural moments.

2 Likes

Eddie has made a plea to Channel 7 about TV coverage for the remaining footy finals.

https://twitter.com/3AWisfootball/status/1703645154543120604

3 Likes

Both 7 & Fox needs to do this.

1 Like

Update

Friday 22 September
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
07:00 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
07:30 PM AFL Prelim Final: Collingwood v GWS
10:30 PM AFL Post Game
11:00 PM Armchair Experts
12:00 AM 12 Monkeys Rpt

Adelaide
06:30 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
10:00 PM AFL Post Game
10:30 PM Armchair Experts

Perth
05:00 PM AFL: Friday Night Countdown 7Mate
05:30 PM AFL Prelim Final: Collingwood v GWS 7Mate
08:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate
09:00 PM Armchair Experts 7Mate

Saturday 23 September
Sydney
11:00 AM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: GWS v Adelaide 7Mate
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Port Adelaide v Geelong 7Mate

04:00 PM AFL Pre-Game 7Mate
04:30 PM AFL Prelim Final: Brisbane v Carlton 7Mate
08:00 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

Melbourne, Brisbane
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Port Adelaide v Geelong 7Mate

04:00 PM AFL Pre-Game
04:30 PM AFL Prelim Final: Brisbane v Carlton
08:00 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

Adelaide
10:30 AM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: GWS v Adelaide 7Mate
12:30 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Port Adelaide v Geelong 7Mate

03:30 PM AFL Pre-Game
04:00 PM AFL Prelim Final: Brisbane v Carlton
07:30 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

Perth
11:00 AM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Port Adelaide v Geelong 7Mate

02:00 PM AFL Pre-Game
02:30 PM AFL Prelim Final: Brisbane v Carlton
06:00 PM AFL Post Game 7Mate

Sunday 24 September
Sydney
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Sydney v West Coast 7Mate

Melbourne
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: North Melbourne Tasmania v Brisbane
03:00 PM VFL Grand Final: Gold Coast v Werribee

03:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: St Kilda v Collingwood 7Mate

Brisbane
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: North Melbourne Tasmania v Brisbane 7Mate

05:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Gold Coast v Western Bulldogs 7Mate

Adelaide
12:30 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: North Melbourne Tasmania v Brisbane 7Mate

02:00 PM SANFL Grand Final: Glenelg v Sturt

Perth
12:00 PM 2023 WAFL Colts Grand Final: Claremint v Perth
03:00 PM 2023 WAFL Grand Final: East Fremantle v Peel Thunder
06:00 PM 2023 WAFL Grand Final: Post Game 7Mate

11:00 AM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Sydney v West Coast 7Mate
01:00 PM 2023 AFL Women’s Rnd 4: Essendon v Fremantle 7Mate

4 Likes

It’s a bit disappointing there is no coverage of the VFL Grand Final in Brisbane considering a local side is playing.

3 Likes

stupid decision by CH7 QLD

Disappointing but they obviously don’t have space to show the game. It would look bad if they were bumping the AFLW (plus they contractually have to show it) game for a men’s second division game. two would have racing and it won’t rate enough for main channel.

7two doesn’t show racing on a Sunday - they could easily move the AFLW game there if they wanted.
I guess they have just decided there is zero demand by the Qld public to watch the Suns reserves team, even if its a Grand Final.

2 Likes

If the Lions reserves made it, then 7 might of shown it. The Suns probably doesn’t bring viewers, they didn’t even have many people at the ground for their prelim final so the interest would be pretty low. And it’s on 7+ anyways

2 Likes

What it is, is discriminatory against the Suns. We all know that 7Queensland have their favourites. Last week they only played the Brisbane game not the Suns game and this week they won’t even bother to show the Grand Final on FTA. They have multiple channels for goodness sakes!

There was a reason why it looked like there wasn’t many at the ground - the AFL mandated that we scorch our supporters by putting them facing into the Sun for optics so it looks better on TV which meant that supporters were under the shade at the top of the bays so they wouldn’t get burnt…

Yeah, it’s called ratings.

3 Likes

Should have built the stadium the other way then.

Brian Taylor receives life membership at AFMA Awards

The Front Bar named Best TV Program

The Seven Network’s chief AFL caller, Brian Taylor has been honoured with a life membership award at the 2023 Australian Football Media Association (AFMA) Awards, while Seven’s The Front Bar was awarded Best TV Program for a second straight year.

A previous dual winner of the Lou Richards Medal and Most Outstanding Caller award for his impeccable football knowledge and match-calling skills, paired with his signature infectious personality and humour, Brian has been a key member of football’s #1 commentary team since he joined Seven in 2012.

“I think 44 years I have been involved in football, 33 of those in the media, I have just been given so many opportunities by so many different people,” he said.

“I had the opportunity to work alongside callers like Bruce McAvaney, it was just amazing to work with someone of that ilk. Bruce was always standing behind you… he was a coach to us all.

“To be involved in this industry, it has been my absolute life and I owe everything to the people who have supported me along the way. There are too many to mention by name, but to all those people, I am indebted to you, and it is because of you that I get to do what I love.”

For the second consecutive year, The Front Bar, hosted by Mick Molloy, Sam Pang and Andy Maher, was named the Best TV Program at Tuesday night’s awards ceremony.

The AFMA committee said: “The Front Bar continues to be a leader in the category of the Best TV Program.

“As well as presenting and discussing the current issues in what can only be described as a unique style, the trio also take their audience down memory lane with a great selection of former players who reflect on their illustrious careers, which are often the centre of some embarrassing moments from their highlight reel. Full of originality, The Front Bar is a joy to watch.”

Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “On behalf of everyone at Seven, I am rapt to congratulate BT and our team at The Front Bar for their richly deserved recognition at this year’s AFMAs.

“An integral member of Seven’s AFL broadcast team, nobody knows and loves footy more than Brian Taylor.

“From calling the biggest and best moments of our great game, to his support for grassroots community football over many years, Brian’s deep passion for the game remains at the forefront of everything he does,” he said.

“Everyone’s favourite, The Front Bar,** brings a unique and refreshing take on the best footy stories of today and yesteryear and the entire team including Mick, Sam and Andy and the broader production team thoroughly deserve this recognition.”

4 Likes

.@CollingwoodFC fans, you will not want to miss this...

Magpies skipper Darcy Moore joins us TONIGHT on Talking Finals! ⚫️⚪️

💻 Watch on 7 and 7plus from 9:15pm AEST! pic.twitter.com/0BB4acqMyI

— 7AFL (@7AFL) September 20, 2023

2 Likes

I did not know that 7 gets Team lists first before it’s revealed by other newspapers, networks etc. I thought they all reveal it after it’s officially released

https://x.com/ralphyheraldsun/status/1704772165579747468?s=46&t=p849RpnWCeGGuzI4QaykiA

1 Like